Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't leave MAD during layovers???

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by acmys
I tried to enter Spain with the arrival passengers, and was stopped at formal passport control.

After arrival there are two options: T4S security screening and exit, and I went with exit. This is not a logistics question or architecture question (lol) - it's Spanish border force did not let me enter the country because I was on a non-Schengen layover.
6h. I actually purchased separate one-ways, if that makes a difference.
6h is a pretty short layover. It will give maximum 3-4h in the city. That may be the reason.

But I am amazed to the fact they bothered to check a US citizen, normally low profile countries get a fast stamp and that's it.
Old May 5, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fotographer
ok I know its not Mad, but have done that several times thru LHR, where I have had time to use.. just told them I had a long layover, showed my ticket.. and was on my way
I've done this also countless times, everywhere from NRT and LHR to many Schengen areas: BRU, FRA, ZRH, HEL. Was extremely, extremely surprised that Spain would be the one with a problem.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I've done this also countless times, everywhere from NRT and LHR to many Schengen areas: BRU, FRA, ZRH, HEL. Was extremely, extremely surprised that Spain would be the one with a problem.
sorry to hear, it makes no sense, especially since I believe Spain does not require a visa...
Old May 6, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
ok I know its not Mad, but have done that several times thru LHR, where I have had time to use.. just told them I had a long layover, showed my ticket.. and was on my way
Yup, I've done that in London before with zero issues.

This really surprises me because when I've landed in Spain recently they barely even looked at my passport. They glanced at the front cover with the US eagle, flipped it open, stamped it, and waved me through - perhaps a 5-second process, with zero questions asked.
fotographer likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
What I thought. His supervisor also. The specific reason he gave was that I didn't have alojamiento (accommodation), but that's obvious since I wasn't staying overnight. In the future, would it be worth just saying that I'm staying for a day in an Airbnb?
I was turned down at LHR. Had a 6 hr layover headed to Munich, said I was just going to walk around outside, get some fresh air. Agent refused, directed me to transit passemgers.

I wouldnt lie. How long are you staying? "Currently I have a flight tonight, but trying to (considering a?) change my booking and stay a day or two" might be a safer claim.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I was turned down at LHR. Had a 6 hr layover headed to Munich, said I was just going to walk around outside, get some fresh air. Agent refused, directed me to transit passemgers.

I wouldnt lie. How long are you staying? "Currently I have a flight tonight, but trying to (considering a?) change my booking and stay a day or two" might be a safer claim.
That's actually a really helpful suggestion - thank you!

Much better than U.S. Consul in Spain's idea of applying for a visa. Imagine how confused whoever received a Schengen tourist visa application from an American would be.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: QF WP
I’m not sure i’d trust Spanish government advice on US visas either 🤷🏻.♀️
Old May 7, 2019, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
sorry to hear, it makes no sense, especially since I believe Spain does not require a visa...
Right. No visa for USA passports.....and some countries refuse to issue visas if they're not required while others encourage visa applications for special cases that might be troublesome. At least for the USA, a visa doesn't guarantee entry and it's still the decision of the immigration official at the port of entry.

However, I wonder whether Spain requires a landing card so that the border official could immediately see details such as duration of stay "3 hours" and flight number with date of planned exit from the EU.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
No landing cards in Spain (nor anywhere in the Schengen area I can think of).
Old May 8, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
I’m not sure i’d trust Spanish government advice on US visas either 🤷🏻.♀️
I've check the MFA website out of curiosity and I find the information quite accurate and extensive (regarding both ESTA procedure and visa requirements).

Páginas - Recomendación de viaje
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
I had a LHR-MAD-BIO itinerary on BA/IB. The BA 77W docked at T4S and I chose to exit the terminal (on a passport that didn’t require a visa) to get some fresh air. I had no problems at all getting stamped via Arrivals and presume I would’ve also encountered an immigration officer to enter a Schengen state/Spain on my transit route from a gate in T4S to the (presumably Domestic) M gates in T4S if I had simply followed the Transit signs. So I can’t figure it out what went wrong with your transit. What was confusing was re-entering T4S and first, being denied Fast Track as an Iberia Oro/OW Sapphire member (Though I don’t fly IB much at all) and secondly, finding absolutely no lounge or F&B outlets at the M Gates in T4S. Did I miss something there?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The transit route is the same as the arrivals route, for immigration from T4S.

M gates are rarely used (they're for aircraft arriving from / departing onwards to a non-Schengen destination, when operating Schengen flights). There is very little there, and the IB lounge closed a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:41 am

Sometimes they also use the M gates for flights arriving from Schengen but with a lot of passengers connecting to non-Schengen flights (common in some late-evening flights full of passengers with short connections to the late flights to Latin America).
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:31 pm

Thank you for the info. The M gates did feel like a bus terminal closing for the day!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:32 pm

Mine was a domestic flight to Bilbao so that may be why it left from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.