Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Easter Sunday 2019 Strike at MAD/Madrid... some questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Hello all... in the middle of a great vacation in Spain and have seen some stories about an airport ground workers strike which could impact travel this weekend.

We are 4 passengers all traveling MAD-LHR-USA. We are all in AA business class on the longhaul, while only me (OW Emerald) is business class on the Iberia MAD-LHR and rest of family (2 OW Ruby and 1 non-status) have economy tickets.

So a few things...
- How worried should we be about major flight disruptions this Sunday?
- Will we all have fast-track access at Madrid?
- MAD-LHR flight is at 7am Sunday (Easter)... what would the suggested airport arrival time be (we will be checking bags)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261
- How worried should we be about major flight disruptions this Sunday?
- Will we all have fast-track access at Madrid?
- MAD-LHR flight is at 7am Sunday (Easter)... what would the suggested airport arrival time be (we will be checking bags)?

Thanks in advance.
1h average waiting time these days, with peaks of 1.5h especially in the early morning.

Fast Track should be available but may not be operative during strikes (may not be part of the mandatory minimum service)

I would be minimum 2.5h in advance.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
In theory there was a strike last Friday when I flew out of MAD.

In practice I went through the Puente Aereo security as the only person in the queue. YMMV...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:14 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Dropped Mrs. Spainflyer at Terminal 4 Barajas on Tuesday 16th. There was a strike of both Vueling (I think) pilots and airport security personnel. Minimum services are mandated by law. Mrs. S's flight was at 10h50 but, "in an abundance of caution" we arrived at 7h15. She was checked in, bag dropped and through security in 15 minutes. I understand later in the morning things got hectic. At any rate, both strikes have been settled. You should have no more than the normal difficulties on Sunday. Buen viaje!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Yet unfortunately a new strike has been announced... of the Ground Handling staff. And not just at Madrid, but at all Spanish airports! What kind of disruption should be expected from this?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Roberts1987
Yet unfortunately a new strike has been announced... of the Ground Handling staff. And not just at Madrid, but at all Spanish airports! What kind of disruption should be expected from this?
Unions in Spain are aware that their maximum point of leverage is Easter holidays and August. But with minimum service required through Spanish law, often enough you won't even notice.

Obviously if you can avoid checking luggage during ground handling disputes you'll be safer.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Just as a random thought with a 7am flight...

If I were to get to the airport around midnight, would:
- I be able to check in and check bags for a 7am flight?
- Is immigration open (I'm guessing so)
- Would I be able to access the lounge, which I think is open 24 hours?

Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just arrived LAX-MAD on IB. Had notification prior to departure (18th) from IB about my onward flight to MUC (on a separate ticket) and to get to airport early as security on strike.

Important for you:Due to the security staff strike at Madrid Airport, there may be delays at the security filter. We therefore recommend that you get your boarding pass online and arrive at the airport earlier than usual.

Fast track took me 5 minutes! 4 lanes open and on 1-2 in each (3pm local time).
Old May 11, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Looks like this is happening again. If pax miss their flights, does IB rebook pax on the next one at no expense?
Old May 11, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Looks like this is happening again. If pax miss their flights, does IB rebook pax on the next one at no expense?
There is no strike at the moment.

But one of the main roads going to T4 is totally closed due to a broken main water pipe.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
There is no strike at the moment.

But one of the main roads going to T4 is totally closed due to a broken main water pipe.
According to an email and text I received from Iberia, there is a strike taking place tomorrow unless they just send that to anyone traveling during April/May.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The strike that started before Semana Santa is in fact still ongoing, but the impact is minimal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.