Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU261 compensation claim

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Would IB have any email adress that I could use to discuss this further? It bugs me that they give a copy&paste reply and no possibility to react to that. It's as if they're asking for trouble.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
IB has no interest in "discussing" this issue with you. To do so would likely cost it more than simply paying your claim. The entire operation is premised on pushing back so that you eventually go away. If you do sue and if a court does choose to ignore the EC Guidance (not aware of precedential decisions doing so), perhaps it will pay or perhaps it will settle with you at some point.

But, to "discuss" actually undermines IB's goal which is to have you go away.

Ultimately it is up to you to determine whether you wish to make the investment of time, effort and perhaps money or whether you move on.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:52 pm

Yeah, I found two adresses and sent an email to them.

If I don't hear anything back, I'll proceed with AESA. I'm not giving up too easily.

Consider it a hobby of mine more than a waste of precious time.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 1:38 pm

There's no point in discussing with Iberia. Once they reject your initial claim, just go to AESA. I disagree with Often1, there are cases reported on this forum (including my own) where you just send a claim to AESA, which takes a few minutes, and eventually (it could be many months later) Iberia pays. Of course, assuming you delay is eligible (not weather-related, etc.).
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes
There's no point in discussing with Iberia. Once they reject your initial claim, just go to AESA. I disagree with Often1, there are cases reported on this forum (including my own) where you just send a claim to AESA, which takes a few minutes, and eventually (it could be many months later) Iberia pays. Of course, assuming you delay is eligible (not weather-related, etc.).
But you mean they actually do pay if AESA says they should? At least that's good news!

I'll write to AESA next week.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Yllanes
Just to be clear, IB has paid based on an AESA determination made after the EC issued tts April 2020 Guidance?

If so, that is shocking as the Guidance was issued at the collective request of the EU carriers which, of course, includes IB.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 3:29 pm

Not after April 2020, no. The situation might be different now, but it costs nothing to send the claim.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:23 pm

That guidance is surely covid19 related, while my delay had nothing to do with covid19.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Just to be clear, IB has paid based on an AESA determination made after the EC issued tts April 2020 Guidance?

If so, that is shocking as the Guidance was issued at the collective request of the EU carriers which, of course, includes IB.
Well, to my surprise, I can now answer your question. I sent my request to AESA on 15OCT. On 01FEB, after 3.5 months, they replied that they will start processing my claim.

After that, I didn't hear anything, but yesterday, Iberia had deposited 300 EUR to my bank account.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
We had a 6:16 minute delay in Madrid due to a missed connection (reason for original delay was that it took longer than expected to load the aircraft). I wrote to IB but they said the circumstances were outside of their control.

I've tried the AESA form a few times but get an error after filling in all of the details using the Microsoft Edge browser. Any tips on getting the form to process?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Just a data point:

On my journey return trip LHR-MAD-UIO in April 2017, the Madrid-Quito leg arrived 3:14h late.

I initally complaint to Iberia, but they didn't want to pay out (May 2017).

In October 2018 I complained to AESA.

In August 2019 I received a generic: "We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the incident on your flight" email

A week ago I received an email:
"We are writing in response to the claim submitted by AESA (Spanish Civil Aviation) on behalf of linz36 after the incidence on flight on April the 4th, 2020." (entirely the wrong date)
"In order to proceed with this case we kindly request you to send us by replying to this email the following information: Bank details (IBAN and SWIFT codes) and copy of your passport or identity card."

I replied within a day or two, and today €600 landed in my bank account. That was a surpise! Over 4 years late, but I guess paying out twice as much as required makes up for the delay.
ffay005 and Katarina Hol like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:53 pm

Hi all,

Bumping this thread as I couldn't for the life of me find out the answer to this question:
When flying A-B-C, if the B-C leg got cancelled, which distance is used to determine the compensation amount, B-C or A-C?

To briefly summarize my case and also provide a DP for this thread:
I flew UIO-MAD-AMS last year. The first leg UIO-MAD arrived on time, while the second leg MAD-AMS got cancelled on the runway due to mechanical issues, and we were rebooked onto a flight the next day. Obviously I'm due EU261 compensation in this case - textbook mechanical and 4+ hour delay. So after the trip, I followed what everyone in this thread did: submitted a claim to IB, got denied, submitted a claim to AESA, and finally received an email from IB asking for my bank transfer info. However, they're only giving me 250EUR, which is based on the distance of MAD-AMS, but I think I should receive 600EUR based on the distance of UIO-AMS.

Am I in the right here? I just spent an hour searching but still couldn't find an answer. Has anyone here had a similar case? Thank you!
Old Feb 12, 2022, 8:25 pm

You should receive 600 EUR.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:41 am

Hi all,

I would be grateful for any advice regarding this:

Iberia refused to pay out on flight cancellation. During the disruption which took 3 days, the passengers in my party were not provided with any refreshments, support and accommodation from aviation nor airport side. The receipts for accommodation, food & drinks have been sent to IBERIA - the company rejected to reimburse them. The incident happened in October 2019.

I submitted a claim to IB, got denied, submitted a claim to AESA, received a letter that I am entitled to get a compensation of 600 EUR, got denied, applied for EU small claim court procedure, received a letter from Spanish court confirming 490 EUR but IB is still ignoring the court judgement and my letters.

Do you guys have any idea how to sort it out?

Many thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2022, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by ezak
Hi all,

Bumping this thread as I couldn't for the life of me find out the answer to this question:
When flying A-B-C, if the B-C leg got cancelled, which distance is used to determine the compensation amount, B-C or A-C?

To briefly summarize my case and also provide a DP for this thread:
I flew UIO-MAD-AMS last year. The first leg UIO-MAD arrived on time, while the second leg MAD-AMS got cancelled on the runway due to mechanical issues, and we were rebooked onto a flight the next day. Obviously I'm due EU261 compensation in this case - textbook mechanical and 4+ hour delay. So after the trip, I followed what everyone in this thread did: submitted a claim to IB, got denied, submitted a claim to AESA, and finally received an email from IB asking for my bank transfer info. However, they're only giving me 250EUR, which is based on the distance of MAD-AMS, but I think I should receive 600EUR based on the distance of UIO-AMS.

Am I in the right here? I just spent an hour searching but still couldn't find an answer. Has anyone here had a similar case? Thank you!
To close out my own case here: after a month, IB issued 600EUR to my bank account without any other back and forth.
ffay005 and craigthemif like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.