Wiki Posts
Search

EZE-MAD in J - A very poor experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

EZE-MAD in J - A very poor experience

Just flew EZE-MAD in J using avios from last year's 9000-per-flight promo

I had low expectations, but Iberia managed to go even lower.

The lack of care was so evident in all aspects. Here's one of the dishes in my meal for example. Very lazy and unappealing:

The cost cutting was also evident. Eg here's what my black t-shirt looked like after I used the horrible quality napkin during dinner:

The service was also very poor. I wanted a drink, and with no crew around or passing by I used the call button. No response. And again, And again. Never answered. Then asked one who passed. Still nothing. Eventually found someone in the galley. It was over 50 minutes from first pressing the call button to actually getting a drink.

All in all, a very forgettable experience.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
From my experience the service depends very much on the crew. Last November I flew with Mrs m4l to NY and the service on the MAD-JFK leg was terrible, but on the way back it was very good
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Crew matters. Speaking Spanish helps. Departing Madrid instead of outstation also helps.

Nobody's expecting Asian airline F standards on IB J. But when you're spending miles you are getting a pretty solid hard product for a relative pittance, and that's before accounting for all of the super cheap Avios received from the promo. Complain about it if you dropped $5k on the flight because there were no other alternatives...
tropikey and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:15 pm

Although I agree completely with the last opinion, I must admit that picture of "cheese plate" confused me. If it was taken before consumption, it's something I wouldn't expect even in Y.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by tropikey
Although I agree completely with the last opinion, I must admit that picture of "cheese plate" confused me. If it was taken before consumption, it's something I wouldn't expect even in Y.
IB does not offer cheese plate for dessert, as other airlines do, the cheese is part of the starter
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Yeah, that was just one small dish on the dinner tray, but the lack of care over presentation struck me. The rest of it wasn't much better (though not as bad as the meal I had on LATAM with a rotten salad and rock hard chicken that bent the silverware, some of which was dirty anyway. Gross)
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:41 pm

This is really disappointing. I am looking at flights on ib jnb/mad. I haven't flown IB in 10 years. The service and food was horrible. i was hoping it had inproved some but apparently not. Guess I'll try for ba on qr with my miles.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by jmj9905
This is really disappointing. I am looking at flights on ib jnb/mad. I haven't flown IB in 10 years. The service and food was horrible. i was hoping it had inproved some but apparently not. Guess I'll try for ba on qr with my miles.
While not consistent and often rather depending on the actual crew, I never made a real bad experiences on long-haul C in IB (my complaint would be the lack of a proper second meal on their very long haul flights e.g. to NRT or MVD). And compared to what I have experienced on BA long-haul in C, IB is in my experience way, way ahead especially with regard to the hard product (definitely a solid offering) but also on a service and food level. So I would be quite surprised if BA is not even more disappointing for you

That said, I would surely opt for CX or QR over IB if I had a choice (but that is probably not sensible/possible on the MAD-JNB route without major headaches, detours and cost)
tropikey, nancypants and more4less like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:17 am

Thanks for the info noturbulence. QR is an option. I am flying from iad on aa miles. The only availability I was seeing was ib. I flew qr in 2017 iad/doh/cpt in j. Would do that in a heart beat but not showing any availability. I guess I will just have to keep checking.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:01 am

bos-mad in feb flying J and crew was great. For 34k points, I'm not one to complain. Those complaining about napkins, blankets, ect really crack me up. If my seat reclines, I'm happy... life's too short to be constantly angry over the smallest things.
javi likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
One thing I haven't noticed lately is the tiny clips where you could clip your napkin onto your tie / shirt. Enhanced away at some point?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: LH

MAD-GRU C class main course

IME the worst C meal I have ever seen.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by shady

MAD-GRU C class main course

IME the worst C meal I have ever seen.
Actually I have got this meal on my flight to Buenos Aires last week and really enjoyed it. As said many times it is really depending on personal taste. Landed yesterday on J from MVD and must agree that service was very average and very rushed on the midday departure from MVD. No aperitive service even though lunch time departure and 12 hours ahead. No nuts/olives, directly meal tray. Food was really bad and not comparable to the food out of MAD. Beef offered (as expected ex Uruguay) was served rock hard and uneatable, many people sent it back or requested change. Coffee for the breakfast served cold. No water service except those small bottles distributed after first meal service. Yet J was full from MVD as was the inbound to EZE. And yes if I will pay it will be a sad story, but for those 90k promo, nice trip.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:20 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
I like IB J. The hard product is good, and although I have had mediocre service, this has been the exception rather than the rule.

The real problem is the very poor meals sometimes experienced on flights heading to Madrid. They can be truly dreadful.

I will never forget my J meal in Business returning from Havana. Think prison food in a china dish. Luckily I just had extra wine instead. This is always very good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.