Search

DFW - MAD - SVQ in separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
DFW - MAD - SVQ in separate tickets

Hi guys,
I do have 2 separate tickets (award); DFW - MAD (AA) and MAD - SVQ (IB).
Arriving in MAD 9.05 AM and departing to SVQ at 11.50 AM (almost 3h layover).

- Will I have time to make it? I really think so, but worth asking.
-
Will I be able to link the tickets in one locator?
- Will I be able to check the luggage in DFW and collect it in SVQ (given it is all OW...)

Cheers!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
If the DFW-MAD arrives on time, you will have no problem making the connection. However, twice last year my DFW-MAD flight arrived late and I missed connections to SVQ and SCQ. Since all segments were on the same ticket, I was automatically put on later flights. I’m not sure what would have happened if flying on different tickets.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Bearing in mind that this is not a connection, if you are ontime, you should make it. But, if you no show, you are on the hook to buy a new ticket.
2. No, if the tickets are booked into separate PNR's, they stay in separate PNR's.
3. No, IB will not check your bags beyond your destination, e.g. MAD. You will claim your bags at MAD and take them to check in for your second ticket.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
1. Bearing in mind that this is not a connection, if you are ontime, you should make it. But, if you no show, you are on the hook to buy a new ticket.
2. No, if the tickets are booked into separate PNR's, they stay in separate PNR's.
3. No, IB will not check your bags beyond your destination, e.g. MAD. You will claim your bags at MAD and take them to check in for your second ticket.
I am pretty screwed then... hopefully AA hits the schedule!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pedro M
If the DFW-MAD arrives on time, you will have no problem making the connection. However, twice last year my DFW-MAD flight arrived late and I missed connections to SVQ and SCQ. Since all segments were on the same ticket, I was automatically put on later flights. I’m not sure what would have happened if flying on different tickets.
I did see the historical records of the flight and it is pretty much on time or delayed for less than 30 mins, which will allow me to get the connection. Hopefully it does not go worse for me.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Don't forget that AA has a policy to protect on separate tickets across oneworld. If things don't go according to plan, head to the AA ticket desk at MAD.

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...king_Index.pdf
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
Don't forget that AA has a policy to protect on separate tickets across oneworld. If things don't go according to plan, head to the AA ticket desk at MAD.

https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...king_Index.pdf
Except AA won't be flying the domestic Spanish routes so it's not nearly as simple as just letting somebody fly standby in an otherwise empty seat. And FWIW AA flying into MAD has no EU261 implications.

But by all means if IB are being difficult, then see whether AA are willing to be kind.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Plenty of time if AA arrives on time and depending on queues at passports. You need to collect the bag and check in again.To save some time, you can check on line and then just drop off the bag.
if you miss the IB flight, you should contact the airline programme which issued your ticket for any possible changes. IB will not through check you nor your bags.

Last edited by kai.lileboo; Jan 5, 2019 at 8:05 am Reason: Erroe
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Except AA won't be flying the domestic Spanish routes so it's not nearly as simple as just letting somebody fly standby in an otherwise empty seat. And FWIW AA flying into MAD has no EU261 implications.
True, but the policy specifically covers both oneworld>AA and AA>oneworld situations.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Circusplaza
- Will I be able to check the luggage in DFW and collect it in SVQ (given it is all OW...)
With ticket DFW-MAD you need to clear immigration & customs as the port of entry, with baggage --> MAD.
Even if was 1 ticket DFW-MAD-SVQ you may have had to do the same, although with some Eu countries you clear customs (baggage) at the final destination.

Anyway MAD-SVQ is only 246 miles. Maybe a (fast) train if the DFW flight is late and you no show the MAD SVQ flight.
The quickest route is 2h20 minutes. The first train leaving Madrid is at 07:00, the last at 20:00. There is an average of 17 trains a day between Madrid and Seville, leaving approximately every 56 minutes. Travel from Madrid to Seville on the AVE high-speed train.
Route--->Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

But by all means if IB are being difficult, then see whether AA are willing to be kind.
It doesn't matter that AA does not operate the MAD-SVQ route. AA is responsible for protecting the passenger as if he were booked on one ticket; it would not be IB's problem at all. AA can rebook the OP on the next available flight to SVQ.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
It doesn't matter that AA does not operate the MAD-SVQ route. AA is responsible for protecting the passenger as if he were booked on one ticket; it would not be IB's problem at all. AA can rebook the OP on the next available flight to SVQ.
Separate tickets. "Responsible", "protecting", etc. do not apply.

If AA has a goodwill policy, then fair enough. But I would hardly rush to abuse AA if their flight arrives on time, but the OP still can't make the next flight because they didn't leave enough time to do passport control, collect checked luggage, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Perhaps you missed the pertinent language in the link posted in Post #6:

"AA to/from AA or a oneworldŽ Carrier
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier."
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If AA has a goodwill policy, then fair enough. But I would hardly rush to abuse AA if their flight arrives on time, but the OP still can't make the next flight because they didn't leave enough time to do passport control, collect checked luggage, etc.
Originally Posted by guv1976
Perhaps you missed the pertinent language in the link posted in Post #6:

"AA to/from AA or a oneworldŽ Carrier
If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier."
The key word in the policy here is disruption. Indeed if DFW-MAD arrives on time or with minimal delay, I wouldn't expect AA to be too accommodating, especially with such a connection time.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With ticket DFW-MAD you need to clear immigration & customs as the port of entry, with baggage --> MAD.
Even if was 1 ticket DFW-MAD-SVQ you may have had to do the same, although with some Eu countries you clear customs (baggage) at the final destination.

Anyway MAD-SVQ is only 246 miles. Maybe a (fast) train if the DFW flight is late and you no show the MAD SVQ flight.

Route--->Great Circle Mapper
Cool!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.