Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on connecting flights at Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Question on connecting flights at Madrid

I'm flying from Heathrow to Lima soon and am on BA LHR-MAD and Iberia MAD-LIM. The way I booked it I have two separate tickets. I allowed myself a three hour connection time and am flying Business Class. Just so I have it right in my mind, I will fly into Terminal 4 and proceed through immigration and collect my bags. I will then proceed to Iberia check in and deposit my bags there and pass through security. The Iberia flight to Lima leaves from T4S so will need to get the APM.

I've been through Madrid before and it's a big airport. Could someone give me directions of what I'll need to do on the day (levels I'll arrive at on BA and where I'll need to go to check in). I might be over complicating this in my mind, but if I have the framework it will help cut the stress on the day.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
If you're arriving on BA, you'll arrive at T4S.
Disembark, go up a series of passageways to the arrivals level, clear immigration, lifts down to the APM, figure 5 minutes, up to baggage claim, figure 30 minutes wait, exit, take the lifts (left is better) up to check-in, turn right towards the Iberia Premium area, re-checkin with at least 55 minutes to go, clear Fast Track security to the right of the normal security area, down to the APM, clear immigration, double back on yourself, back upstairs, through the duty free shop where the lounge is, and up to 10 minutes to the next gate. Which could be the same as where you arrived
philadam likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
FYI they have now installed the eGates in T4s so the passport control bit is pretty quick (or it has been every time I've been through).

Tbf even with the old manual gates I only had a slow trip through it once. Every other time it's been pretty zippy.

The only things for me that take a bit of time at Barajas are;

1) It's just Biiiiiig. Way bigger than it needs to be for the traffic, but hey, the land was probably cheap....

and...

2) Baggage reclaim (if they're not staffed well on the day) can be a bore. But I usually fly HBO so it's rarely an issue for me.
philadam likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:55 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
If you can do this with only hand luggage your life will be MUCH easier but it should be enough time regardless. Priority luggage tags seem to actually work these days and luggage handling has gotten better, but you still need to plan on it being for a long time.

Tip from a frequent user, use the lifts whenever possible rather than ramps and escalators. Much faster.
philadam likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
3 hours is risky. First of all, chop 1 hour off for the check-in cut-off deadline for your Lima flight.

https://www.iberia.com/es/time-limit/

Then chop off at least 45-60 minutes for de-planing to luggage collection to check-in. That leaves you a bit more of an hour's margin for delays out of LHR.

If your tickets are already purchased, make every effort to determine whether you can travel hand baggage only...
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not to sound like a broken record, but you understand the risks of separate tickets, right? You have no connection and no protection. If you don’t show up for your Lima flight on time, your entire ticket will auto-cancel.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your answers. Yes, unfortunately it’s a done deal and aware of the risks am trying to mitigate any problems and head straight to where I need to be instead of dithering. I’m away in South America for a couple of months so unfortunately HBO isn’t an option. I’ve been keeping an eye on first leg BA456 and it’s been arriving early if anything. Of course today it was an hour late. Wish me luck!

Once again, thanks for your feedback.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:32 am
Suspended

Any chance you can change your inbound, even if it means buying a new ticket or paying a large change fee? It may be worth it.
philadam likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Any chance you can change your inbound, even if it means buying a new ticket or paying a large change fee? It may be worth it.
LondonElite, thank you so much. I’ve done exactly what you suggest and changed my flight (easily as they are Avios bookings), so the only extra expense is an airport hotel at Madrid. Much better with less stress and no longer anymore early rises. I’ve booked the 18.45 from LHR a day earlier which I think is the A340. I might even end up on the same aircraft to Lima!

I feel much happier about this. Thank you everyone for your replies.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by philadam

LondonElite, thank you so much. I’ve done exactly what you suggest and changed my flight (easily as they are Avios bookings), so the only extra expense is an airport hotel at Madrid. Much better with less stress and no longer anymore early rises. I’ve booked the 18.45 from LHR a day earlier which I think is the A340. I might even end up on the same aircraft to Lima!

I feel much happier about this. Thank you everyone for your replies.
^

Although I may operate under much less time pressure than others, this is definitely how I approach travel these days. No stress. No early mornings or late evenings. Lots of time to enjoy the lounge pre-flight.

And although stay-based criteria for elite status with hotel chains is going the way of the dodo, airport one-nighters was also a relatively practical and low-cost way of reaching elite status...
philadam likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:58 am
Suspended

Good move! Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
^

Although I may operate under much less time pressure than others, this is definitely how I approach travel these days. No stress. No early mornings or late evenings. Lots of time to enjoy the lounge pre-flight.

And although stay-based criteria for elite status with hotel chains is going the way of the dodo, airport one-nighters was also a relatively practical and low-cost way of reaching elite status...
Yes, note to self made. I travel quite a lot, but so far for the most they have been direct flights. I’ve discovered Iberia Business Class which I actually prefer to BA Club and here is a classic example of needing to think out of the box a little. I will not miss having to get up at 3am!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Just by way of feedback I am very pleased I did what I did. Today's flight over an hour late.

A bit of further info. If you are on the late evening flight using the airbus 340 ( Iberia need a large cargo flight each day) because of this they will do all they can to fix a fault to take off rather than unload. We were on the ground for two hours whilst they fixed the issue.

Thanks once again for the help. About to take off in ec-lev to Lima, which is version 2 contrary to airfleets. I changed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.