Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

IB tech & LGW - MAD: Your expertise please.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Right mods: if you feel this belongs in the IB forum then I respect that but I’d love the BA expertise here as we are BA card holders and value the input from the likes of the regulars who really know what they are doing.

1st issue) So we (parents, not me) have just booked to fly LGW - MAD, We could only hold the flight not make a payment. “Payment entity” wasn’t working on the IB website as of Sunday evening, does anyone have experience with this? All details were correct and present. PNR issued but flights on hold until 15th Oct.

2nd issue) LGW- MAD gets in at 00:10 on IB. What’s the best option for a hotel? Departure is MAD-AGP at 11.30am the following morning. So 11hr lay over. Any tips to maximise sleep and relaxation over running for flights and also the best routing between gate and landside please.

3rd issue) I cant remember how to get an IB PNR onto the BA app? Is that possible? Or am I making that up?

Thanks as always. Incredible value here on FT.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For payment, that sounds like an out of hours glitch, I would assume it will be resolved, or maybe a quick telephone call is needed. IB is a bit sticky on credit cards, some seem to be declined with no obvious reason, so it's not unusual to have to try a second or third card.

For the second point, at that hour the problem is the hotel shuttles and not wanting to hang about. I have used the Hilton, but that's a few miles from the airport. Elsewhere in the forum and the Spain country forum you will find other recommendations, including the Air-Rooms facility in the airport (which I have not tried). What has changed - and may not be reflected in previous comments, is that the RENFE connection to the airport has been improved, and runs until 2:30 am. So your other option is to select a hotel close to a C-1 line.

For the third question about IB's PNR, I don't think it works since IB use a different DCS to BA and unless you have a BA PNR - so a BA booking - you won't get the information. However I wouldn't worry, the IB App is actually quite good.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks CWS. Appreciate that.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:38 am

The Hilton is a good hotel, if you don't want to wait for the shuttle a taxi will be € 20 and you can take the shuttle back in the morning. I have stayed there a couple of times (it's a cheap Hilton around Christmas, good to do the one extra stay I typically need to renew Diamond when I stop in Madrid on my way to the family home in LCG). Very good breakfast. There are very inexpensive hotels in the area, but all require shuttles and at that time there'll probably be a wait.

A hotel in the city centre, along the train line, would be very convenient (a taxi would be € 30 and ~20 min). However, hotels in Madrid are getting more expensive, so if you are not interested in an early morning stroll and would take a taxi, you might as well stay in the Hilton.

I haven't slept in the Air Rooms, I have only used them as an arrival lounge (for that, the bedroom is kept locked and you have access to the bathroom to take a shower). I suppose they are perfectly good if you just want to sleep and of course it's the easiest option (inside the terminal, right next to the train and metro station). The breakfast selection is pretty pitiful, you might or might not care about this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:25 am

I have to admit that I have a really strong dislike for hotel shuttles as it seems to me that they invariably always end up the same – you wait for what seems to be an eternity to be picked up then drive for a seemingly endless time just to be dropped with a horde of equally tired and cranky travelers at the front desk where you wait for another 5– 45 min depending on the number and speed of the front desk staff and your place in the line.

On occasions like this, my preferred option is therefore taking the 1 metro stop to Barajas and go for a hotel there (yes that involves a EUR 3 extra surcharge on the metro ticket but if you seriously contemplate a taxi ride for 20 or 30 EUR instead then this is not that much and the saved stress and hassle avoiding taking a hotel shuttle is worth my saved nerves several times over…)
From the Metro station entrance it is typically between 5 to 10 min on foot to the local hotels. There is an ample selection with the Melia Barajas probably the most “upscale” option followed by the Tryp Alameda down to rather basic but very economical and nevertheless perfectly acceptable options such as the Ibis. Have stayed at all 3 of the ones just mentioned and can actually recommend all of them for the purpose.

The AirRooms are a very convenient option being right in the terminal although usually fairly pricey and due to their configuration you could feel a little bit “boxed” in as there is no outside window in the room – but also perfectly suitable for the purpose.

Other than that as pointed out by others before, a quick ca. 20-30 min taxi trip to the city center also offers you a whole range of additional options
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I always use the Air Rooms on an overnight ex-MAD to avoid the shuttle faff and cutting into sleep with the extra 'buffer time' you end up having to build in
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

As an update, they chose the Air rooms so I’ll report back if there’s anything interesting.

As IB tech, the app, the website/web app all are failing to retrieve boarding passes. The error message is pretty useless to the average pax but I’m sure a developer would decipher it quite quickly.

I called up 3 times, hoping for a helpful person but apparently they don’t have the tools to do much if at all. I was told to try Chrome browser. Which says a lot about their tech, if it can’t cope with Safari! As for the native iOS app..same issue. So who knows. It will be a classic paper pass tomorrow at LGW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.