Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help deciphering an Iberia email.....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Help deciphering an Iberia email.....

I wonder if there is anyone who can help.

On a recent trip from MAD-MIA my family were all downgraded from Premium Economy to Economy. This was an Avios booking. I contacted Iberia and after about a six week wait I got the following email:

We regret that the service provided did not meet the appropriate standard of quality, Thank you for sharing your opinion, which we have referred to the areas responsible so that they can analyse it and take any necessary measures to improve our service.
We've issued 5 e-Bonos for the downgrade that affected your reservation, so you can recover the Avios (points) you spent for an upper class. You can exchange these points for a new ticket purchase either at the airport or via our website
www.iberia.com.

I have checked my Iberia Plus account and can't see any record of what it is they are trying to offer me. I also called them and they said they could not help and the only way to find out what has been offered was to send in another 'complaint'. I am not that keen on doing that as it took them about 6 weeks to respond to the last email I sent them.

Does anyone know what '5 e-bonos' are and how I can use them??

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Something to do with the lead singer of U2?

"Bono" means voucher in Spanish. So it looks like they issued you with 5 vouchers for the difference in Avios cost between PE and presumably Blue class, although with Iberia I wouldn't be surprised if they calculated the difference against the flexible Economy reward.

This seems to break the rules of EC261. (i.e. you get cash, not a voucher from the airline) In the case of Avios you really ought to receive 75% of the cost of the PE rewards - with no relation to the economy cost - as standard Avios back in your account to be spent on anything you desire.

Did all of the original Avios come out of your account? Or did each family member spend their own Avios?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Did all of the original Avios come out of your account? Or did each family member spend their own Avios?
All Avios came from my account.

I think it would be easier to speak to U2 than Iberia Customer Services!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Under EC 261/2004, each passenger is due a refund of 75% of the base fare for the ticket segment. That is payable in cash (equivalent) unless you voluntarily choose to accept something else.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

So what do I do. I have no idea what the value of these 5 e-bonos is. I can't see them on my account on the Iberia website. Do I raise another complaint rejecting this offer and asking for 75% of the base fare for this segment to be refunded as per EC261/2004? Will Iberia comply?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by RFT72
So what do I do. I have no idea what the value of these 5 e-bonos is. I can't see them on my account on the Iberia website. Do I raise another complaint rejecting this offer and asking for 75% of the base fare for this segment to be refunded as per EC261/2004? Will Iberia comply?
I would do exactly this. Even if I flew Iberia regularly and would have an opportunity to spend these "e-bonos", I wouldn't let them dictate how money owed to me was spent. For me, it's the principle. Also, if there's one for each member in your party, they may not all feel the same about getting this vs the cash owed under EC261. YMMV
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMorgana
I would do exactly this. Even if I flew Iberia regularly and would have an opportunity to spend these "e-bonos", I wouldn't let them dictate how money owed to me was spent. For me, it's the principle. Also, if there's one for each member in your party, they may not all feel the same about getting this vs the cash owed under EC261. YMMV
Presumably as I bought in Avios they are not going to refund in cash?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by RFT72
Presumably as I bought in Avios they are not going to refund in cash?
Not sure...I don't know what EC261 says about airfare purchased with FF miles.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JMorgana
Not sure...I don't know what EC261 says about airfare purchased with FF miles.
EC261 makes no explicit mention of miles. And certain airlines exploit this to target those who upgrade using miles or other upgrade / 2-4-1 instruments.

But to avoid a court formalising an interpretation of 75% refund that is far worse for the airline, most airlines rush to give you the appropriate number of miles back so that you don't make an EC261 claim.

If the OP still hasn't received an Avios refund, it may well be time to raise a EC261 claim.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I have put another complaint into the Iberia system so will have to wait another 28 years for them to respond to that!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.