Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
LOL. Waaaaaayyyyyy too soon.

The rumour is that they will post overnight on the 30th.
Ha ha ..... they said up to 10 days and they've already had 5 and they're burning a hole in my pocket ;-)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Not sure I understand the interest in transferring the miles out of IB and creating an unnecessary problem. Can't you already use IB Avios on BA flights?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Not sure I understand the interest in transferring the miles out of IB and creating an unnecessary problem. Can't you already use IB Avios on BA flights?
It's for a hotel reservation which I'll book through the IB website. I'm not keen on BA....
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lizie
Ha ha ..... they said up to 10 days and they've already had 5 and they're burning a hole in my pocket ;-)
I’m the same! I’m waiting with bated breath for the points to hit!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Some people may decide to transfer their Avios out and abandon their IB account, potentially avoiding their expiry in December.

It may or may not work.

But, yes, you can book BA flights via IB+ without too much difficulty - you just have to pay the outrageous taxes and surcharges.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
There is probably a lot of game theory now in how to use the avios if they appear, but:

- It's in the interest of anyone thinking of staying inside IB to persuade other people to transfer their Avios, as this reduces competition for redemptions. Bear this in mind when seeking advice

- Transferring avios out en-masse increases competition for BA avios redemptions and may just shift the problem sideways, particularly if the accounts merge or the avios expire. The only reason for considering doing this is to bank the Avios somewhere where they may not expire. But they might expire anyway via a merging of a negative balance.

Interesting dilemmas. For what it's worth, and given I may be trying to influence others to my advantage because I'm inside the game, I'll be looking to keep any avios from this promo within IB for the time being.
Not really. BA and Iberia have access to more-or-less the same seats. If you can book it via BA, odds are you can book it via Iberia (with some exceptions). The benefit of moving it to BA is more because of lower taxes, lower redemption costs and more flexible tickets - actual availability is similar.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:36 am
Original Poster

My purchases are still shown as 'pending' on my credit card. Have spoken to card issuer and they say Iberia haven't called for it.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My purchases are still shown as 'pending' on my credit card. Have spoken to card issuer and they say Iberia haven't called for it.

Mine too. Still "pending"
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Both my purchases and the Mrs posted yesterday - both used Chase.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Partner booking must be round trip, unless it's IB, I2, YW, VY, BA, EC.

Oh, and they're non-refundable and non-changeable, too.
Thanks for pointing this out. I am learning ( quickly ) but somehow I will make it happen.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by happeemonkee
Mine too. Still "pending"
Mine have posted on Amex.
Lizie likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Skymiles Platinum / Alaska MVP Gold 75K
FYI - I purchased 10 one way flights but Iberia has apparently retracted 7 of the email receipts I received from my inbox because they no longer show in my Inbox or Trash. I made the mistake of not reading all the receipts apparently. All 10 charges are still pending. If you haven't already, read your email receipts and take screengrabs because Iberia has apparently started the process of rolling this back.

EDIT: I'm apparently a complete an idiot. Yahoo filtered them to SPAM for some reason today. They are still there.

Last edited by imaginaryhomeland; Jun 26, 2018 at 6:47 pm Reason: I'm an idiot
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:23 pm

I actually am not a robot

Originally Posted by imaginaryhomeland
FYI - I purchased 10 one way flights but Iberia has apparently retracted 7 of the email receipts I received from my inbox because they no longer show in my Inbox or Trash. I made the mistake of not reading all the rec eipts apparently. All 10 charges are still pending. If you haven't already, read your email receipts and take screengrabs because Iberia has apparently started the process of rolling this back.

EDIT: I'm apparently a complete an idiot. Yahoo filtered them to SPAM for some reason today. They are still there.
Happened to me too. Mine had made it all the way to Trash by the time I read your message.

However, my cc charges are still pending.

And I can't log in to Iberia.com. Also if you try to log in twice within a 30-or-so-second span, you get the Captcha Box. IT issues, I'm hoping?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by imaginaryhomeland
FYI - I purchased 10 one way flights but Iberia has apparently retracted 7 of the email receipts I received from my inbox because they no longer show in my Inbox or Trash. I made the mistake of not reading all the receipts apparently. All 10 charges are still pending. If you haven't already, read your email receipts and take screengrabs because Iberia has apparently started the process of rolling this back.

For future reference, Iberia can't remove emails from your Inbox. Nor can anyone else (unless they hacked into your account - which no major company would ever consider doing!).
Markie and craigthemif like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by callum9999
For future reference, Iberia can't remove emails from your Inbox. Nor can anyone else (unless they hacked into your account - which no major company would ever consider doing!).
We have move from core conspiracy theories to extended

Can't wait for the posts claiming the Illuminati are behind the whole thing
Woodbinerich likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.