Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Again, thank you so much. I am getting a better picture. I think you are right there will be a booking frenzy if this deal does indeed work.
I saw that JL could be booked as well with Avios, so I am changing my search to FRA-NRT and having checked the BA chart, I should
be o.k. with 90,000 Avios each for a one way C ticket. Don't think that routing will be of interest for most of the folks participating in this deal.
Partner booking must be round trip, unless it's IB, I2, YW, VY, BA, EC.

Oh, and they're non-refundable and non-changeable, too.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Partner booking must be round trip, unless it's IB, I2, YW, VY, BA, EC.

Oh, and they're non-refundable and non-changeable, too.
FWIW even IB awards cancelled after 1 December are going to be "non refundable" in a sense, since those Avios should immediately expire.

I know Iberia is really the only one to blame for this overgenerous promo going viral, but a lot of people are going to be really unhappy when they figure out how IB+ handle partner awards. (under the assumption that all IB+ award space for the next year is going to disappear within days of the bonus Avios appearing in accounts)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
FWIW even IB awards cancelled after 1 December are going to be "non refundable" in a sense, since those Avios should immediately expire.

I know Iberia is really the only one to blame for this overgenerous promo going viral, but a lot of people are going to be really unhappy when they figure out how IB+ handle partner awards. (under the assumption that all IB+ award space for the next year is going to disappear within days of the bonus Avios appearing in accounts)
If a large portion of the awards go and they don't allow transfers to BA or, let you buy hotels and what not, then what's really left is short haul or areas you couldn't go without an armed guard or breathing apparatus. Of course you'd have to pay fees on that as well so this could be a big win for Iberia. I'm still wondering why the promotion landing address says 'win-a-trip'. Hope I haven't taken part in a lottery.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
They've just recycled an old page for the "win-a-trip" thing, wouldn't worry about that.
Lizie likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lizie
If a large portion of the awards go and they don't allow transfers to BA or, let you buy hotels and what not, then what's really left is short haul or areas you couldn't go without an armed guard or breathing apparatus. Of course you'd have to pay fees on that as well so this could be a big win for Iberia. I'm still wondering why the promotion landing address says 'win-a-trip'. Hope I haven't taken part in a lottery.
Any of these type of promos are a lottery of sorts. This one will likely turn out fine for most. I've got my eye on an award that I'll mention only after I book. Not at all 'obvious', but a decent use of Avios IMHO - of course any redemption that works for YOU is a good one.

Happy travels!
davm666 and Lizie like this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:28 pm

Can someone please educate me on negative balances? Not very familiar with this topic at all. Let's say Iberia does indeed make it a policy revoke all 90K points if you miss your 10 flights. Practically speaking, let's say this is the timeline:

July 1st: 90K points hit your account from promo
November 1st: You book an award flight using the points. The flight is to take place in September 2019.
January 31st: You miss all 10 flights that were the basis for the 90K points, leaving your account with a -90K balance

What happens to your award flight? Is it canceled for "abuse"?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by vgutkovsky
Can someone please educate me on negative balances? Not very familiar with this topic at all. Let's say Iberia does indeed make it a policy revoke all 90K points if you miss your 10 flights. Practically speaking, let's say this is the timeline:

November 1st: You book an award flight using the points. The flight is to take place in September 2019.
January 31st: You miss all 10 flights that were the basis for the 90K points, leaving your account with a -90K balance

No. According to headforpoints.com, Iberia clarified that taking the purchased flights is NOT required. Of course, you would not accrue flying mileage on these flights, but the 9000 promotional miles would not be impacted.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:32 pm

Lufthansa wanting payment for negative miles balance
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

It's not really a question of whether the miles will be taken back if you skip the paid flights. It's more about people immediately moving their Avios over to British Airways and never booking a reward through IB+.

IB+ may chase you to force you to buy the missing 90K miles. They might also be able to reclaim them from BAEC since it's all ultimately the same company.

Or your account might be left with -90K miles until after you've long since forgotten about this promo - but move some Avios back from BA and they might immediately disappear.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:40 am

It's not really a question of whether the miles will be taken back if you skip the paid flights. It's more about people immediately moving their Avios over to British Airways and never booking a reward through IB+.

IB+ may chase you to force you to buy the missing 90K miles. They might also be able to reclaim them from BAEC since it's all ultimately the same company.

Or your account might be left with -90K miles until after you've long since forgotten about this promo - but move some Avios back from BA and they might immediately disappear.
So you're saying the award flight in my hypothetical would not be invalidated, right? Not moving anything to/from BAEC.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
That's pretty scary...but the scenario seems quite different. Do you think Iberia would have legal ground to stand on to demand repayment of this type of negative balance? Again, assuming that it went negative due to missing flights, not due to transferring points out (if that matters).
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you're saying the award flight in my hypothetical would not be invalidated, right? Not moving anything to/from BAEC.
Probably not.

It would be pretty hard for IB+ to walk back from the repeatedly expressed position that the bonus Avios come from BUYING the tickets, not FLYING.

But if your account goes negative and a human takes a look, I suspect they would indeed either ask you to buy the required Avios or to cancel any booked awards to make up the difference.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:11 am

Probably not.

It would be pretty hard for IB+ to walk back from the repeatedly expressed position that the bonus Avios come from BUYING the tickets, not FLYING.

But if your account goes negative and a human takes a look, I suspect they would indeed either ask you to buy the required Avios or to cancel any booked awards to make up the difference.
Well...that sucks. But thanks for the heads up. I guess all I can do is hope that they don't deduct the bonus Avios for not flying.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Anyone received theirs yet? I bought mine on the 21st.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lizie
Anyone received theirs yet? I bought mine on the 21st.
LOL. Waaaaaayyyyyy too soon.

The rumour is that they will post overnight on the 30th.
Lizie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.