Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB Avios Promo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Working fine for me. (regular website, not that new calculator garbage)

Are you sure you aren't tagging on a Spain domestic connection or something? Note that there are some peak dates sprinkled into October / November which a next-day connecting flight could be picking up...
So, now I looked at booking Oct. 11 through Oct. 16. Clear availability, but still pricing 31,500 for ORD-MAD roundtrip in biz. Now, can can get to the final screens as I have zero avios in my account, but the discount is clearly not showing for me on the initial search screen. Lucky has said blackout dates were only in December. Thoughts? What am I doing wrong?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
So, now I looked at booking Oct. 11 through Oct. 16. Clear availability, but still pricing 31,500 for ORD-MAD roundtrip in biz. Now, can can get to the final screens as I have zero avios in my account, but the discount is clearly not showing for me on the initial search screen. Lucky has said blackout dates were only in December. Thoughts? What am I doing wrong?
First of all, Ben is wrong... I know from personal experience that the temptation is to write a quick blog post on "breaking news" for promos, but there are several peak dates in October and November.

As far as your pricing... no idea... use the regular website, not the stupid calculator thingy. Set your country to Spain / English. Set your IB+ account address to a hotel in Spain if necessary...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:13 am

First of all, Ben is wrong... I know from personal experience that the temptation is to write a quick blog post on "breaking news" for promos, but there are several peak dates in October and November.

As far as your pricing... no idea... use the regular website, not the stupid calculator thingy. Set your country to Spain / English. Set your IB+ account address to a hotel in Spain if necessary...
You have a place to find the peak dates? I'll try the address change if needed. I already changed to Spain/English and even tried to do it as a Spanish page, too. Honestly, still a great price if I book at this price, but where is the fun in that?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:35 am

Changing address did not work. I cannot find the blackout dates; I've got no other explanation.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:38 am

I think it has to simply be dead....others?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You have a place to find the peak dates? I'll try the address change if needed. I already changed to Spain/English and even tried to do it as a Spanish page, too. Honestly, still a great price if I book at this price, but where is the fun in that?
Blue are peak dates.

Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:00 pm

Blue are peak dates.

BINGO! I hit the peaks everytime I tried to book. This was crazy helpful!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Blue are peak dates.

I hadn't looked this year, but this makes zero sense to me. 12 of october is excluded and it's the week before that's on peak. The last week of Oct is peak but the weekend to make 1 Nov a long weekend isn't counted. Only the 5th and 6th of Dec and not carrying it over to the 8th but the whole following week.

I mean, whatever but it still seems weird for a Spanish peak dates calendar.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Can anyone confirm that a business fare is fully cancellable (avios & fees/surcharges) with the $40USD fee?

What if it is split Premium Economy in one direction + Biz on return?

I googled but there is a lot of contradictory information about both fees & avios refund. The iberia.com popup on cancellations says "Administration charges are non-refundable." Fees/taxes are around $225 on the flights I'm looking at so would want to get those refunded.

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joachimm
Can anyone confirm that a business fare is fully cancellable (avios & fees/surcharges) with the $40USD fee?

What if it is split Premium Economy in one direction + Biz on return?

I googled but there is a lot of contradictory information about both fees & avios refund. The iberia.com popup on cancellations says "Administration charges are non-refundable." Fees/taxes are around $225 on the flights I'm looking at so would want to get those refunded.

Thanks
The important thing is whether your reward is on Iberia (or BA) metal. If that's the case any cabin booked as a reward is refundable. You will get whatever $$ you paid refunded, minus the cancellation fee (25 euros for Europeans, $40 for Americans it appears?)
joachimm likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BINGO! I hit the peaks everytime I tried to book. This was crazy helpful!
You're not alone. The Google ranking on the Spanish version of my blog occasionally comes before Iberia.com itself (depending on the phrase searched for), so that shows how bad their website is...

But no surprise... Business Class availability is often better on peak dates, as counter-intuitive as that might seem, because people always book the off-peak rewards first...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I hadn't looked this year, but this makes zero sense to me. 12 of october is excluded and it's the week before that's on peak. The last week of Oct is peak but the weekend to make 1 Nov a long weekend isn't counted. Only the 5th and 6th of Dec and not carrying it over to the 8th but the whole following week.

I mean, whatever but it still seems weird for a Spanish peak dates calendar.
Look at it through the eyes of the Madrid-centric Iberia world. Anybody who would take advantage of the 1 Nov long weekend would leave before, so making the full week before peak, they are capitalizing on that, plus Iberia then has a big peak period around 9 Nov, which the Almudena holiday (only celebrated in Madrid). This has the effect of targeting the people who would take advantage of the two shortened weeks to take a long-haul holiday, to extract the maximum avíos.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:34 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
I tried to book with 25% off promo biz
on 23 Nov
MAD-NRT

but I couldn't get it for 44650 Avios (page wants 59500 avios)
what is a problem?
any solution?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by p78
on 23 Nov
MAD-NRT

what is a problem?
any solution?
Are you based in Spain?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by p78
on 23 Nov
MAD-NRT

what is a problem?
any solution?
In the mail I received regarding this promo, IIRC, it was mentioned 25% discount in Avios to Asia and America destinations, but in the small letter only a few American countries were listed.

edit - I have just received a new mail about this promo and now Tokyo is mentioned so hopefully you can book now with the 25% discount.

Last edited by more4less; Mar 12, 2018 at 12:00 pm Reason: Add info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.