Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Booking with Avianca using Avios via Iberia plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking with Avianca using Avios via Iberia plus

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
From what I understand, only return non-stop flights are possible. One way, with connections, not an option.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by armouredant
I was told by one call centre rep that there's no way to book Avianca with Iberia Plus avios. He was so adamant that I asked for his email, then sent him a link to the page on Iberia.com where they show the redemption prices. It was infuriating.
"Infuriating" is putting it very, very lightly!

I've called more than 10 times today and have been told:
– You're through to the wrong department and you should have pressed option 2 (I don't know how that is possible when you are asked to say your reason for calling?!)
– We're not Avianca, so why are you calling us?
– Let me check for you.... [immediately cut off]
– Let me transfer you.... [immediately cut off]
– No, we can't transfer you, you'll need to hang up and redial
– You're through to Iberia, not Avianca
– Let me see if I can find anything....[listen to 10 mins of music]... yes, I can find availabi.... [abruptly cut off]

It is beyond belief!

But what makes this so infuriating is that on my 2nd call today, I actually got through to someone who initially said I can't book AV, but then came back and said they'd found loads of availability. Just as I was asking how many Avios I needed, and planning to make a snap decision to book while the going was good, I was cut off. So, I at least have a very small glimmer of hope that it is possible and at least one person at IB+ knows this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:13 pm

Any news in this case with Avianca now when we are alot of peoole with full IB-accounts needed to be used before 1dec?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I spent my new IB points on Avianca yesterday, no problem.
eddieflyer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by criced
Any news in this case with Avianca now when we are alot of peoole with full IB-accounts needed to be used before 1dec?
Yes, I meant to post an update about this and forgot. I'm pleased to report I *finally* got an agent who seemed to know what they were doing. Tickets all issued for the expected number of Avios, although not flying until December. I am less pleased to report it took me 29 attempts!! I am not kidding... I counted up the number of calls I had to make before it was possible. Generally, if I know something is possible, I will be persistent, but IB+ was almost too much even for me! Good luck!

I spent my new IB points on Avianca yesterday, no problem.
Wow! Lucky you! You must have got through to one of the very few IB agents who knows what they are doing.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:20 pm

It took about an hour on the phone. Lots of being on hold and checking with supervisors.

i bought a return even though we only need to fly one way, because the policy is return tickets only, but I feel like I might have been able to book one way if I’d asked.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:27 am

I am confused about Avianca is not of Oneworld.
Do you know how can I book a Avianca flight from Iberia ?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by shih987
You can. Check for availability on the LifeMiles website and call up. Flights must be return tickets (as with all Iberia avios partner redemptions, except BA). As a guideline, SJO-BOG-SJO cost me 15,000 avios + €98 per passenger in total.

You must call Iberia to book.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shih987
Iberia partners with Avianca for some reason. However 99% of IB+ agents are unaware of this. Prepare yourself fully and get ready for maximum frustration...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:41 am

It took about an hour on the phone. Lots of being on hold and checking with supervisors.

i bought a return even though we only need to fly one way, because the policy is return tickets only, but I feel like I might have been able to book one way if I’d asked.
Great, what route did you book?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by criced
Great, what route did you book?
SJO-BOG x 3 in economy. Flights that would have cost £791 in cash, for 51,000 avios (bought for £114 in the recent IB deal!) and £255 of taxes.
criced and jules128 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:58 pm

Anyone recently booked IB award domestic in Colombia with Avianca?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Starwood
Trying to book Avianca using Iberia avios has to be one of the most frustrating...................
The numerous times the phone system does not connect you to a rep, the connection is terrible, the first few people I talked to insisted that I couldn't book tickets on Avianca because they aren't part of oneworld.

Finally, FINALLY, this morning, the rep who answered had no problem, she pulled up the Avianca flights I wanted. I had already checked on lifemiles.com and united that there were award seats available. She waited while I added the beneficiaries to my iberia account online. So patient. One of my passengers is under 2 so that started to be a problem but then she deleted their date of birth and said they would have to pay the taxes on an adult seat, I said fine. We get through all that and then she said, it's not working, can you call back later. And I said can I just hold on. She put me on hold but then came back and said, it's not working because the flight is operated by TACA, can we check for a different flight? Avianca/TACA is the only one who operates that route nonstop (IAD-SAL). Does this make any sense??? I was under the impression that Avianca bought TACA, TACA is part of Avianca so why would it matter? The flight number is AV580, so doesn't that mean it's an Avianca flight???

I could book on the Iberia website flights on AA but they connect in Miami and I'm traveling alone with a 1 & 2 year old so would rather fly nonstop.
eddieflyer likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:21 pm

Programs: Lifemiles, AAdvantage
Yes, Avianca bought Taca and now they are Avianca/Taca, but apparently their (IB) system doesnt know that yet, so they take the Taca operated flight as a separate flight than AV.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I first called US line, which was fruitless ("call avianca to use your avios") even after trying to get ahead of that stupidity. Then I called the Spanish line for Iberia Plus, +34 913 30 73 50‬ and selected "Iberia Plus."

The agent seemed not stupid, but he claimed that with the most basic status (Iberia Classic) that the only agents that are trained to make this booking are accessible via contacto.iberia.com (a form you submit). There was no drop down related to making bookings on the form, which is in Spanish. The form will take 24 hours to receive any response. I tend to doubt him, or anyway, this is a blackhole / waste of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.