Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

How can I cancel an IB Avios reservation (and be sure that it is cancelled)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR

BA Avios Club and First availability to/from South Africa is dreadful, so I was pleased when I could book a one-way JNB-MAD-LHR in biz for 2 using IB Avios. At first.

Circumstances have changed and I need to cancel the booking. Unlike with BA, IB Avios reservations cannot be cancelled online, only by telephone. So how to proceed?

The IB website says to call the US - a 1-800 number - so that's where I started. It took 10 minutes of mainly 'hold the line' before I found out that this info is wrong and I should call Spain. But first I checked FT and found a UK local 020- number. (Thanks, FT. )

But on Monday, I ended up speaking to the same unfortunate fellow FOUR TIMES before he agreed to do something. He couldn't understand why the voice recognition system wasn't working. Anyway, he told me how many refunded Avios and dollars I would receive and agreed to send me confirmation by e-mail. Since then, nothing.

Can somebody advise whether this is normal or whether I should be doing something else? Thanks.

ETA: I have just tried Manage Your Booking and received this:
An error has occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask you to please try again after a few minutes. If the error persists please contact us.
Does this mean something is happening? (I have tried again.) Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
What does MyFlights / checkmytrip say?
Roger likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
BA Avios Club and First availability to/from South Africa is dreadful, so I was pleased when I could book a one-way JNB-MAD-LHR in biz for 2 using IB Avios. At first.

Circumstances have changed and I need to cancel the booking. Unlike with BA, IB Avios reservations cannot be cancelled online, only by telephone. So how to proceed?

The IB website says to call the US - a 1-800 number - so that's where I started. It took 10 minutes of mainly 'hold the line' before I found out that this info is wrong and I should call Spain. But first I checked FT and found a UK local 020- number. (Thanks, FT. )

But on Monday, I ended up speaking to the same unfortunate fellow FOUR TIMES before he agreed to do something. He couldn't understand why the voice recognition system wasn't working. Anyway, he told me how many refunded Avios and dollars I would receive and agreed to send me confirmation by e-mail. Since then, nothing.

Can somebody advise whether this is normal or whether I should be doing something else? Thanks.

ETA: I have just tried Manage Your Booking and received this:

Does this mean something is happening? (I have tried again.) Thanks.
I know its pain but call up the number again even the US one and ask if the booking is cancelled. That way at least you will know if the booking is live or not. Ask them to email you confirmation of the cancellation again. Unfortunately sometimes you have to go through the motions a few times to get a resolution. As suggested the My Flights App is a good source but dont take that as Gold as I have come across bookings that have been cancelled yet still show live in My Flights.
Roger likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
What does MyFlights / checkmytrip say?
Originally Posted by DELLAS
As suggested the My Flights App is a good source but dont take that as Gold as I have come across bookings that have been cancelled yet still show live in My Flights.
Thanks, folks.

Well, something is happening. Yesterday evening MyFlights messaged to say the booking had changed. Checking, the booking said 'Some sectors have been removed from your booking' and was otherwise blank. I'm taking that as conclusive.

As for the promised e-mail showing details of Avios and cash refunded, nothing.

IB are still showing the booking online, though attempts to view get the error message.

I had no idea that IB's IT and CS would be worse than BA's. Simple and IAG shareholder I may be but I would have expected systems to be similar if not compatible. MyFlights to the rescue.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OP update 3 weeks later (in case anybody else is in a similar position):
  • Avios back in my account (4 transactions)
  • 4 e-mailed PDFs showing refunded cash amounts
  • no refunds yet in credit card account
  • booking still shows in Your Bookings, but goes to error message if View selected

So things are happening, just more slowly than I would have liked and with weird instructions along the way.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:50 am

The cash refund I guess depends on how you paid and can take either a few days or weeks. I cancelled a redemption last Thursday (Turista class, so full refund) and I already have Avios and money back, but in the past it has taken much longer.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yllanes
The cash refund I guess depends on how you paid and can take either a few days or weeks.
Yes, very true.

IB Spain sent me 4 PDFs on 24 August showing refund amounts: 2x USD 77 and 2x USD 92.

My credit card statement shows 2 credits of GBP 60.17 each. Presumably these are for the 2x USD 77. So I'm currently USD 184 out of pocket.

All very curious. I'm assuming the refunds are net of cancellation fees, and I'd rather like to have the USD 184. (The refunded Avios are back in my account.)

I just don't know where to chase for the missing cash. Logically Spain, as it's a Spanish airline and I booked at iberia.es; or Miami, who processed my payment for reasons unknown, or the London phone number, which has been less than helpful so far. Oh, and my Spanish is not great.

Has anybody a useful e-mail address or webform from which I can pursue my claim? Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
Hi, I'm sorry to hear your predicament, I've just ended my plight fighting Iberia to provide a refund for a flight they changed with the new one not working. After around 3 emails, one to the CEO, that god damn awful web form, about 8 phone calls to the call centre later, they've FINALLY agreed to refund it.

The back office deals with refunds and they will lie to you at the call centre telling you there's no contact for them, alongside there's no supervisor that works at the Iberia call centre, LOL!

Here's their email:

[email protected]

Also had the 'Premium service recovery team' contact me with this email:
[email protected]

Ceo's email, although you probably won't get a response:
[email protected]

If you haven't already fill out the webform provided on the website, that's usually the best thing to do. I would direct you to it, but unsurprisingly it's down right now! Go onto the website and find a page titled 'complaints', that's the correct one.

Iberia is NOT an easy airline to work with, and for this experience alone, it's put me off them for life, I'm wondering how long the refunds will take now they've cancelled the bookings...
Roger likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Excellent, cattp. Thank you very much.

I'll pursue your recommended course of action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.