Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Do I have to go through immigration and customs on my layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I have to go through immigration and customs on my layover?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Arrow Do I have to go through immigration and customs on my layover?

Hi

I'm doing MIA-MAD-BCN, this is my first time doing an international connecting fly. I read online that there are some delays in Spain airports because of new rules etc. Will I have to to go through immigration and customs on my layover at Madrid or will it be at Barcelona? how about in my way back, same rules?

thank you
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, you will go through Schengen immigration on MAD as you are entering the Schengen Zone there.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:33 am

I am arriving into MAD on a QR flight from DOH at 13:55, and am looking at booking a separate Iberia ticket to LIS at 15:45.

1. Would QR be able to interline bags to an intra-Europe IB flight?

2. Assuming no interline is possible, would there be enough time at MAD to clear Schengen immigration / customs and re-check in for the 15:45 flight?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
No idea if QR will interline but it is NOT enough time to collect luggage and check in again.

Should be fine with hand luggage, assuming no delays.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
1. They can but almost certainly won't.

2. I would leave a minimum of three, better four, hours on separate tickets. You know you're on your own if you miss the second flight, right?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:12 am

Thanks for the replies! Certainly helps for my planning.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Have QR updated their schedules for the fact that it now takes up to an hour longer to fly via Iran instead of straight over Saudi/Egypt towards Spain?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
The QR to MAD isn't THAT much of a diversion since the route going over Saudi and Egypt is already less than idea. The straight shot would end them up in the Med right over the Israel/Lebanon border but obviously they have to route around Israel/Syria/Iraq (assuming all good with KSA). Now the only option is north but it's not a huge deal, they would sometimes take that route anyway depending on the winds. I've done MAD-DXB via the Turkey/Iran route before, as an example.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I'm pretty sure you can interline QR-IB. IB-QR, however, not a chance.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
IB or BA no longer interline luggage unless all travel is in the same ticket, same PNR
This is valid not only for IB/BA flights but also IB/BA - any other Oneworld partner

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.