Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia charging for short haul seat selection even at check-in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: All Expired... :-(

The past couple of economy short haul flights I've flow with Iberia (in the past week), there has been a charge for changing the assigned seat when checking in online.

I know that their discount economy fares could not choose a seat before online check-in, but I'm pretty sure I was always able to change the seat at no cost once checking in online.

Is this something new? It's really annoying because they keep giving me seats right at the back of the plane. Does this change with Silver/Gold/Plat status?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:55 am

This changed last year when they implemented the new basic/classic/flexible fare model, now you've to pay to select your seat even during check-in time or otherwise get a random seat. Seems that at least they've tweaked the site now so it won't usually separate people traveling on the same reservation.

oneworld sapphire and emerald (ib plus gold/plat) are able to select seats for free.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I must say that such a seating policy in respect of charging is really the bottom of the ladder. I have saphire on one world and use IB and was frankly oblivious to this but for a carrier that is the main carrier in Spain and to charge at check in for a blooming seat is worse than low cost carriers up and down europe.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nivsy
I must say that such a seating policy in respect of charging is really the bottom of the ladder. I have saphire on one world and use IB and was frankly oblivious to this but for a carrier that is the main carrier in Spain and to charge at check in for a blooming seat is worse than low cost carriers up and down europe.
Most, if not all, low cost carriers in Europe and elsewhere in the world charge you if you want to select your own seat, whether at booking or when checking in online.

We can all argue whether IB should be offering a premium product (at a premium price) or simply doing their best to compete with the LCCs. Since IB have never really had much of a premium product IMO (and were losing bucketloads of money), it makes sense to try the LCC route.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Most, if not all, low cost carriers in Europe and elsewhere in the world charge you if you want to select your own seat, whether at booking or when checking in online.

We can all argue whether IB should be offering a premium product (at a premium price) or simply doing their best to compete with the LCCs. Since IB have never really had much of a premium product IMO (and were losing bucketloads of money), it makes sense to try the LCC route.
I agree, especially considering the MAD market. Besides, it's easy enough to buy a regular tourist class ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.