Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: coleslaw
Update in Hyatt BRG policy (April 2019): If your BRG claim is approved, you can choose either 5,000 World of Hyatt points or an additional 20% off the matched rate for your stay (defined as consecutive nights at the same location). Rates available on websites that require membership which is free of charge, or where membership is automatically created as part of the booking, are eligible for BRG claims.

.................................................. ..........

Recent Experiences Using the BRG (2018 and later)

YES
  • Hotels.com - April 2019
  • Booking.com - May 2019

MAYBE
  • Skoosh - April 2019 (initially rejected as "membership site" but approved on appeal)
NO
  • SnapTravel

Update in Hyatt BRG policy (July 2017): if your BRG claim is approved, Hyatt will match the comparable lower rate, but will no longer offer a further 20% discount on the matched lower rate. Instead, after your stay on the BRG approved rate, you will receive a US$50 credit (or equivalent amount in the currency of your country of residence) to use on a future stay (completed within 12 months) booked on a Standard Rate, Advance Purchase Rate or Member Rate on Hyatt.com.

Q. How do I receive the $50 credit?
A. About 3-4 days after your BRG stay, Hyatt will email you a unique rate code to apply for your new reservation. You can either click on the link in the mail to book the reservation or manually enter it into the booking at Hyatt.com.

Q. Can I use the code more than once?
A. No. The code is invalid when it has already been attached to a reservation.

Q. Can I use the code to lower a rate like AAA or Double Points?
A. No. The BRG code books into its own unique rate class and can't be used with any other promotional rates.

Q. What happens if I cancel my reservation with the BRG code applied?
A. The code will can be re-used for another reservation. For this reason, DO NOT DELETE THE EMAIL FROM HYATT UNTIL AFTER YOUR STAY.

Q. What happens if a lower base rate appears available after I book the BRG rate?
A. You can cancel the first reservation (assuming there's no penalty) and then rebook using the code for the lower rate.

If you are dissatisfied with the response to your BRG claim, and it was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Omaha (9805 Q Street), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Nebraska Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Division). Note that the online complaint form requires you to fill in a correspondence address in the US (though you can state a preference to receive correspondence by e-mail rather than by post). As reported in Post # 2691, if the AG's Office decides to investigate, it is possible that Hyatt will review your BRG claim again and, in addition, offer points for the inconvenience.

If your BRG claim was processed by the Hyatt Service Desk in Marion (1120 North Carbon Street Suite 70), you can consider filing a consumer complaint (link to online form) with the Illinois Attorney General's Office.

From Post # 12:
Originally Posted by Smart Shopper
If you can’t solve your issue (please mind Hyatt's Consumer Affairs Department assists us at 1-800-323-7249) here are some other resources:

Sound Off
  • Contact Consumer Traveler (my pick: Christopher Elliott)
  • Consumer Tools (My3cents.com is a leading source of consumer advice)
  • Post a complaint for public view
  • Consumer Comment Form (please mind: If you file a complaint it becomes property of “Consumer Affairs” and they are not obliged to remove it if you solve the issue)

Conde Nast's Traveler's "Ombudsman" column features a traveler's complaint column. Send in your complaint to Ombudsman, Conde Nast Traveler, 4 Times Square, New York, NY 10036.

Legal Options
  • File a complaint at you state's attorney general's office
  • Small Claims Court (link provides also a helping hand on how to resolve problem without going to small claims court)
  • Federal Trade Commission (The FTC does not resolve individual consumer complaints.)
Print Wikipost

Hyatt - Best Rate Guarantee - Experiences - MASTER THREAD - WIKI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I'm done with Hyatt BRG. competing rate gone and still no reply after 100 hours!!!

does Hyatt's BRG exist?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
I'm done with Hyatt BRG. competing rate gone and still no reply after 100 hours!!!

does Hyatt's BRG exist?
It does.

Did you call to follow up if you didn’t get a response within 24 hours?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by coleslaw
It does.

Did you call to follow up if you didn’t get a response within 24 hours?
No, i didn't call them as i live outside the U.S.

are those numbers toll-free?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
No, i didn't call them as i live outside the U.S.

are those numbers toll-free?
Youd need to either use Skype or look up your local number.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold
Successfully completed multiple BRG requests using Booking.com and by calling the Hyatt BRG number. It took ~10 minutes for the CSR to verify, process and approve each request.

Property: Hyatt Regency Beijing Wangjing
T&C: the Booking.com terms were equivalent to those of Standard Rate on Hyatt.com; even though there was a cheaper rate via the Spring Festival Promotion on Hyatt (~15% off Standard Rate), the Promotion T&Cs were more restrictive, hence not equivalent.
Price per stay: ranges from USD 120 to 140 tax inclusive
Opted for 5,000 points which were credited 3-4 days after check out
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Lifetime Platinum Elite, AA Gold, Delta MM Silver
I just had my first ever experience with BRG. Or rather, I did not. It sounds a lot like all other experiences, where Hyatt simply does not recognize a certain vendor, even though they do admit over the phone that the rate is real.

For the last two years, I have stayed about 9 weeks per year at the same Grand Hyatt property in DC. When I made the booking today, I just happened to also have Kayak open, and I found "my" property for a rate of $329/night.

Kayak screen grab
Hyatt.com offered that exact same room for $357,72/night.

So I called the reservations phone line. They sent me to 1-877-247-3909 to call. And there I was told that "Traveluro" as a supplier was not "valid" and that the bookings you make there are not direct bookings. I asked several times if the $329 was a "real" rate and was assured it was. But they were not going to match it.

Does not really sound like a rate guarantee is indeed a rate guarantee.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by malbarda
I just had my first ever experience with BRG. Or rather, I did not. It sounds a lot like all other experiences, where Hyatt simply does not recognize a certain vendor, even though they do admit over the phone that the rate is real.

For the last two years, I have stayed about 9 weeks per year at the same Grand Hyatt property in DC. When I made the booking today, I just happened to also have Kayak open, and I found "my" property for a rate of $329/night.

Kayak screen grab
Hyatt.com offered that exact same room for $357,72/night.

So I called the reservations phone line. They sent me to 1-877-247-3909 to call. And there I was called that "Traveluro" as a supplier was not "valid" and that the bookings you make there are not direct bookings. I asked several times if the $329 was a "real" rate and was assured it was. But they were not going to match it.

Does not really sound like a rate guarantee is indeed a rate guarantee.
If you click through then you'll see that Traveleuro doesn't fit the criteria for BRG (requires deposits, cancellations don't result in a full refund, etc., etc.). You need to compare like for like (which is unfortunate, since Traveleuro and many similar sites often have much better rates than Hyatt).
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:54 pm

If you click through then you'll see that Traveleuro doesn't fit the criteria for BRG (requires deposits, cancellations don't result in a full refund, etc., etc.). You need to compare like for like (which is unfortunate, since Traveleuro and many similar sites often have much better rates than Hyatt).
Yes, that is what Hyatt also told me. But if the offered rate is valid, then why hide behind some admin gobbledygook to not offer the BRG. Mind you, I am trying to safe my employer some money here, it won't even hurt or hit my own account. To me it feels like "At Hyatt we offer a price guarantee, unless we don't because of admin small print". If the rate is valid, the BRG should apply.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:48 pm

Yes, that is what Hyatt also told me. But if the offered rate is valid, then why hide behind some admin gobbledygook to not offer the BRG. Mind you, I am trying to safe my employer some money here, it won't even hurt or hit my own account. To me it feels like "At Hyatt we offer a price guarantee, unless we don't because of admin small print". If the rate is valid, the BRG should apply.
it’s not really admin gobbledygook, it’s right there in the terms of the BRG program. I’d love if it were as easy as you’re suggesting… but in reality they stick to the T&Cs they publish and usually are much more reasonable than Hilton or Marriott.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
,,,but this implies one actually reads the T&Cs,,,,
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:57 am

it’s not really admin gobbledygook, it’s right there in the terms of the BRG program. I’d love if it were as easy as you’re suggesting… but in reality they stick to the T&Cs they publish and usually are much more reasonable than Hilton or Marriott.
I understand and agree regarding the T&C. My point is slightly different: IF they offer a lower fare through an affiliate seller, than that lower fare SHOULD be recognized by Hyatt. After all, it is Hyatt allowing this seller to offer the room at that rate. If Hyatt allow that rate, it is therefor a valid rate. What they say however is that it somehow is not because of the how the seller operates. That, to me, is a double standard.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:18 pm

I understand and agree regarding the T&C. My point is slightly different: IF they offer a lower fare through an affiliate seller, than that lower fare SHOULD be recognized by Hyatt. After all, it is Hyatt allowing this seller to offer the room at that rate. If Hyatt allow that rate, it is therefor a valid rate. What they say however is that it somehow is not because of the how the seller operates. That, to me, is a double standard.
It's not the same product though. That's like saying Apple should sell you a MacBook at the same price as Best Buy is selling an iPad (if Apple had a price guarantee). The whole point of their T&Cs (besides of course making things harder for you) is to at least require you to compare apples-to-apples. As you can see in this thread, there are plenty of times where Hyatt does some shady stuff with BRG and you're not wrong to be skeptical, but in your situation you said there were different terms applied to the rate so of course it can't be compared.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
It's not the same product though. That's like saying Apple should sell you a MacBook at the same price as Best Buy is selling an iPad (if Apple had a price guarantee). The whole point of their T&Cs (besides of course making things harder for you) is to at least require you to compare apples-to-apples. As you can see in this thread, there are plenty of times where Hyatt does some shady stuff with BRG and you're not wrong to be skeptical, but in your situation you said there were different terms applied to the rate so of course it can't be compared.
Allow me to respectfully disagree. To me, this sounds like Apple saying to Best Buy that they can sell a MacBook for $1,000, while on their own website they sell that exact same macbook (same specs, same everything) for $1,100 and state they have a lowest price guarantee. But wait... that is not true if you find the cheaper price at a large retailer who has negotiated a different price with us which we approve, for the exact same product which we are happy for them to sell. In that case, we do not have a best price guarantee. Only because it suits us better that way.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:30 am

Allow me to respectfully disagree. To me, this sounds like Apple saying to Best Buy that they can sell a MacBook for $1,000, while on their own website they sell that exact same macbook (same specs, same everything) for $1,100 and state they have a lowest price guarantee. But wait... that is not true if you find the cheaper price at a large retailer who has negotiated a different price with us which we approve, for the exact same product which we are happy for them to sell. In that case, we do not have a best price guarantee. Only because it suits us better that way.
If Apple sells a MacBook for $1100 and there is no restocking fee (hotel terms: cancellation/refund of deposit) and Best Buy sells the same MacBook for $1000 but there is a restocking fee, then it is not comparable, at least the way Hyatt is writing the terms (and not just Hyatt). Transfer that logic to Hyatt and TravelEuro. If TravelEuro was exactly the same terms, then maybe BRG should have gone through.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:52 pm

I agree that my analogy was not clean, I was trying to make a point by being extreme. But if you're still having trouble understanding then we can be more specific using this analogy. Best Buy says they'll only sell you the MacBook if you pay a $200 nonrefundable deposit before the product is in stock, and you do not have the option to return when you eventually get it. Apple will give you the product as soon as you make payment and you have 30 days to return, no questions asked. In fact, a better analogy would be some flea market seller (feel bad dragging Best Buy's name into it as they are a reputable company) who can sell you the MacBook for $500, but there's no warranty, no refunds, and you don't really know for sure if this was a hot/stolen computer or not. But it does have the original packaging on it and should be the same product.

That's what traveluro is doing. It's not like Hyatt is not honoring any of the resellers/OTAs. Just disallowing the ones that have extreme terms (and that profit off of people losing money to them because they're unable to be flexible with their terms when things go wrong)
pWei and Cat88L3 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.