Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Big Welcome - New Gold Passport Enhancements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Welcome - New Gold Passport Enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Fulkerson
According to the GP website,
>Enjoy daily complimentary full breakfast in hotels without a club lounge4 4During periods of high demand access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge may not be available; therefore, complimentary full breakfast for each registered guest and 2,500 bonus points will be given. Not available at Hyatt Place or Hyatt Summerfield Suites
I don't see this as an improvement, in the past diamond's were given RC access at non resort hotels without question. Now it looks like more hotels will have an out on giving diamond's access?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
but there a lot mor benefits right now!

Regency club at every stay... looks like a WORLDWIDE rule.

thats new for us Europeans..... so far it was just breakfest most of the times...

but the Suite upgrade issue is FANTASTIC ( i hope it works everytime as i do imagine )

Good Job , HYATT.... now give these rules REAL LIFE!
Where did it say the suite upgrades could not be used with AAA and other rates? I did not see this when I read through the info.

8. Diamond members will be issued four (4) suite upgrade awards, in their account, annually, defined as March 1st of the current year through the last day of February of the following year, Awards can be tracked through “My Promotional Awards” on goldpassport.com. A complimentary suite upgrade is valid on paid nights, for a maximum of 7 consecutive nights, at participating Hyatt hotels where suite accommodations are available. Suite upgrade awards must be redeemed at time of reservation. Member must call 800.400.2261 or their nearest worldwide reservation center to redeem upgrade award. Upgrade not available at Hyatt Place or Hyatt Summerfield Suites. Guest must pay an eligible rate. For purposes of this award, a suite provides for one-bedroom accommodations. Suite upgrade award is not valid toward Specialty, Premier, Presidential or Diplomatic Suites. Award is not transferable, negotiable or redeemable for cash or other substitutions. Credit will not be issued for unused upgrade awards. Guest is responsible for all charges exclusive of awards. There are limited numbers of suites available at each property.

In the past when Hyatt used the word's eligible rate AAA and senior rates were included.

Last edited by bbbb; Apr 2, 2009 at 7:59 am
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:09 am
Community Director Emerita

Thank you, Hyatt! These are much appreciated changes. Free internet is a big improvement for me. I appreciate Hyatt's customer focus, both in these changes and in the warm greeting I receive when staying at a Hyatt hotel.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I was wondering today if the major hotel chains would offer double stays promotions like the airlines are doing with double EQM promos.

This change in Hyatt has me thinking they are unlikely to go that route in 2009 now that the Diamond benefits are quite a bit more generous.

I am so glad I spent my tax stimulus money in March 2008 to become a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member.

And if Hyatt Gold Passport repeats FFN in the fall I will be loving my internet access and suite upgrades while earning more points and nights.

I just spent last weekend on FFN award at the Highlands Inn in Carmel. A thoroughly enjoyable staycation. Just wish I had received free internet.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Looks like all we Diamonds have received the Award credit for the suite upgrades. Guess I should have used my cert last weekend in Beijing after all...
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:37 am
Community Director Emerita

I have just had clarified for me that the free internet will be a WORLDWIDE benefit. That's huge, given that the going rate in Europe ranges from 20 to 25 euros.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bbbb
I don't see this as an improvement, in the past diamond's were given RC access at non resort hotels without question. Now it looks like more hotels will have an out on giving diamond's access?
I see this as an improvement as it creates a real cost for hotels that don't upgrade Diamonds to RC access.

As long as there is no increase in points required for award stays, I see the changes that are part of the "big welcome" as confirmation of my decision to stick with Hyatt as a Diamond member.

^^ to Hyatt for all these positive changes.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Looks like all we Diamonds have received the Award credit for the suite upgrades. Guess I should have used my cert last weekend in Beijing after all...
I just cannot see where to find them except in my account details!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Isn't that kind of paper upgrade cert still possibly useful?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:45 am

Very nice.

I thought I would drop from Diamond next year since I have 0 stays YTD, but will make an effort to keep it now. Hopefully there will be FFN this year.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
"Redeem points for exciting rewards including free nights with no blackout dates – you’re welcome to any available standard room"

Does this mean no capacity controls???
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
I have just confirmed that the suite upgrades for Diamonds are any eligible rate. That means that the "former" 6000 point suite upgrade rules for paying "rack rate" (called "prevailing rate" in Hyatt parlance) at non-resorts and, here was the kicker, a "very high rack rate" at resorts will not apply to the 7 night upgrades.

For example I was quoted $330 a night for a 7 night June stay at Kauai using a diamond member upgrade, or $810 a night for a non-diamond member wanting to use 6000 points.

This is an absolutely amazing, amazing, amazing new benefit. Very well done. Hyatt was already the very best hotel affinity program. What more could they do? I am amazed at how generous they have been.

Thank you so much Hyatt!

-- The Silber Family
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Isn't that kind of paper upgrade cert still possibly useful?
I had a call with diamond line 10 minutes ago.
The paper upgrade certificate still working till expired,but will not renew even not used.

They still under process for electric upgrade award now.
Maybe just waiting couple of days.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Wow, good news!!!! No more capacity controls on awards stays?!?!?!? My GP points just got more valuable.....................................altho ugh I'm sure there will be an upcoming devaluation of those pts to get them right back where they were. Hopefully the devaluation doesn't occur at the same time as the "enhancement".

I had been wondering though if/when Hyatt would get rid of the capacity controls on awards. With Hilton and Marriott recently joining SPG to offer no capacity controls, there must be pressure on Hyatt (and IC) to match this benefit.

I wonder what the other changes to the program will be? Let's hope the new electronic Suite upgrade cert will be a little more useful than the current paper Suite upgrade cert.
I don't believe in the short term there will be a devaluation of our points especially with falling average daily rates and high competition.
A point increase/devaluation would lead me personally out of buying Hyatt revenue rooms of any kind in a heart beat with the generous offers out there from all programs currently. Hilton has not had an increase year to date and they no longer have capacity controls or blackout dates (exceptions may apply) in over 3000 hotels so it would be suicide right now for GP to pass on some kind of increase presently.
It will be interesting however to see how this all plays out.
The only amazing thing about this all is how long it took for Hyatt to make ANY change.Why did they sit on both hands what on earth were they thinking?

This certainly has the potential to make me rethink Hilton or another program if the execution lives up to its promise.
Like you I have found the past suite upgrade to be of very limited value. I typically have thrown them away. An electronic version of a near worthless certificate doesn't have me to excited unless there is some other hard benefit in redeeming like it actually confirms the upgrade.Word on the street looking a lot better

Gold Passport was the ultimate program with outstanding customer service of all time up until 2005.It has been on the decline ever since with little innovation to its program nor upping the bar in CS since then.
Hopefully this lousy economy and the desire to foster productive relationships they way the folks from Hyatt once did will help put this once terrific program back on track.

The jury is far from out at present but one can certainly hope.
Andaz does show some serious promise especially in cities like New York.
I moved away from Hyatt to the degree I once did after the loss of Park Hyatt LA and PH SF
Also the take it or leave it attitude frequently when a hotel stay experience failed. Hyatt once had solid brand assurance but sadly there is no policy in place anymore except for cost cutting
so essentially if you have a great stay fine if not you may have to suck it up and hope for the best the next time if one continues to do business with them.

My solution? Cherry pick the best hotels and stay at less of their properties unless a compelling promotion is too good to resist.It would be great to think that Hyatt could be my first choice again as it was for many years but I am far from confident that is coming anytime soon based on past business behavior over the last number of years.They were not listening to customers or other industry consultants.Hopefully a renewed refreshed Hyatt is on the horizon Fingers crossed that isn't all marketing spin & fluff

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 2, 2009 at 10:30 am
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:25 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I think this is very good news for us Elite GP members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.