Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hyatt is best in Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Stayed at PH for Australian Open Last Year

Was fabulous. Shared an elevator with Dmitrov as he was staying at the PH as well. Lots of tennis celebs stay there during the tourney. If you're a GLOB, the club lounge and free breakfast are both excellent and felt like it was an awesome use of P+C. They also have a tennis court, though it wasn't in amazing shape.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:01 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
Stayed at the Park Hyatt hundreds of nights and never stayed at the Grand Hyatt for a number of reasons.

- I like the fact that PH is much more quiet than GH, but still a 10-min walk to all actions if I choose to.
- Folks who work at the lounge are very sweet.
- You WILL run into some few tennis players during the event. I never bothered them, but found this kinda cool. PH is known among the celebrities to be the place to stay in Melbourne.
- PH was easier on my budget.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:00 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
How are things looking in '19? I see discussion of those hotels dating back to 2000, 19 years ago… how have these places aged? Considering a stay tomorrow and the PH is US$50 more expensive. I imagine GH is the way to go.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:17 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by helvetic
How are things looking in '19? I see discussion of those hotels dating back to 2000, 19 years ago how have these places aged? Considering a stay tomorrow and the PH is US$50 more expensive. I imagine GH is the way to go.
PH has had a refresh. I don't believe the GH has. Have you considered the Prive rate to get $100USD credit?
Old May 2, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by m0hamed
PH has had a refresh. I don't believe the GH has. Have you considered the Prive rate to get $100USD credit?
Ah, that's not a bad idea, and I hadn't thought of it. Unfortunately, booked via Citi for 4th night credit which still beats Priv rate on this stay.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:02 pm

We (family of 4) stayed four nights at PH last year between Christmas and New Year and really enjoyed it. As a Globalist we all ate breakfast in the restaurant (and no discussion was raised regarding upcharges or extras) daily and my kids loved the hotel dog Mr. Walker (a Labrador you can take for a walk). I liked being ever so slightly removed from the CBD and Melbourne is dead simple to navigate. I wouldnt think twice about PH vs GH.
luvFclass likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:13 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Not an issue that makes one choose one over the other but visiting guests using the trams need to remember that the stop closest to the PH is outside of the free tram zone. Normally more of an issue if getting off at this stop. Last week walked back to the hotel from the tram stop with a very disappointed American family who had copped a fine for fare evasion.

Really off topic - but also keep in mind that the art gallery stop is also outside of the free tram zone.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
I have an upcoming stay of 3 nights starting tomorrow, and after a wonderful stay so far at the PH SYD, I am truly looking forward to MEL and seeing how different the 2 cities are to one another. Most importantly, I am really looking forward to meeting PH MEL resident Mr. Walker and taking him for a nice evening stroll around the grounds.

I have dinner rsvp booked for friday at Movida, and is there any other recommendations nearby for some cool MEL eats within 2km radius?

TIA,

LFC

PS: loved the Koalas at Taronga Zoo in SYD
Old May 16, 2019, 4:26 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by luvFclass
I have an upcoming stay of 3 nights starting tomorrow, and after a wonderful stay so far at the PH SYD, I am truly looking forward to MEL and seeing how different the 2 cities are to one another. Most importantly, I am really looking forward to meeting PH MEL resident Mr. Walker and taking him for a nice evening stroll around the grounds.

I have dinner rsvp booked for friday at Movida, and is there any other recommendations nearby for some cool MEL eats within 2km radius?

TIA,

LFC

I thought they stopped walks of Mr Walker?

Check out The European and Cumulus. Both are walking distance.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:33 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir

TIA,

LFC

Although PH MEL is really nice, PH SYD has a wow factor and everything is a notch above PH MEL (therefore, very different price point). You may want to keep your expectation accordingly. Movita is one of my top places in Melbourne. In addition to that, I loved to sit outside The City Wine Shop, enjoyed glasses of wine, and watched people and actions gone by. Enjoy!
luvFclass likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:50 pm

TIA,

LFC

Mr Walker is quite a delight. I found him following me to my room as he smelled the remnant treats I had in my pocket from my own dog!
luvFclass likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:53 pm

Cumulus is amazing. I had lunch there and it was truly one of my best meals of recent memory.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Mr Walker :)

You are correct, they no longer have Walk(er)athons at the property, but I let the front desk know if it was possible to tag along on the with the morning walks.So I was invited on the daily morning strolls the hotel manager Mr. Leigh S. took Mr Walker on, and it was a lovely 45m stroll thru Fitzroy Gardens all the way to the 100.000 seat stadiums where the cricket and AFL matches are held. Very nice chap I might add and it was very cool to be there during the election campaign.

Overall, a very lovely property with amazing friendly MEL people and hospitality. GH is on the CBD right by MOVIDA, but I actually prefer the PH location as it's such a lovely Walk(er) to the CBD or the Botanical Gardens from there.

PH SYD is all about location location location, but very happy with both cites and properties. Any complaints about either property by me would really be nitpicking IMO. I will return in future and try the EK flights ex DXB now that I have flown QF from LAX.

LFC
Old Apr 26, 2023, 9:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

And now there are three choices, including the Hyatt Centric. We'll be in Melbourne two nights. What do you suggest?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 9, 2023 at 5:12 pm Reason: Updated nights in Melbourne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.