Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz West Hollywood - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz West Hollywood - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 1:22 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I attended the beautifully-hosted Do, thanks to Peteropny. I was treated to a back of the house tour. I think the hotel is a great venue for a meeting. The meeting rooms are very comfortable and inviting. However, the hotel lacks warmth. It is quite sterile. It is difficult to imagine a traveler arriving after a long overseas flight and wanting peace, quiet and a comfy environment and finding this at the Andaz. The public areas are quite nice; lovely bar area and a recent guest, I spoke to, enjoyed dinner. This hotel is definitely not cozy. Sometimes I really want a comfy environment which is not so high-tech. The Andaz is using their high tech capabilities as a selling point.I view that as a negative.Guess I am a traditionalist, at heart.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
No-not a cozy/comfy property at all.And I do not see that as the market they are after.
Modern can be done well-thinking of some W's and some newer Renaissance properties.
Old May 3, 2009, 8:25 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
No-not a cozy/comfy property at all.And I do not see that as the market they are after.
Modern can be done well-thinking of some W's and some newer Renaissance properties.
Agreed - the "new" Andaz is not cozy but neither was the "old" WeHo Hyatt. I think the market they are after are the "hipster" club going crowd in keeping with the Sunset Strip location. I think the renovation is successful even though its not really "my" taste. Service issues need substantial improvements though.
Old May 3, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Doesn't sound like fun!

Originally Posted by peteropny
Agreed - the "new" Andaz is not cozy but neither was the "old" WeHo Hyatt. I think the market they are after are the "hipster" club going crowd in keeping with the Sunset Strip location. I think the renovation is successful even though its not really "my" taste. Service issues need substantial improvements though.
I am still debating wether to go to LA for pride in June. I was planning on staying at the Andaz. Maybe I should stay at the Renaissance? At least I know it well :-)
Old May 3, 2009, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zacktravel
I am still debating wether to go to LA for pride in June. I was planning on staying at the Andaz. Maybe I should stay at the Renaissance? At least I know it well :-)
You have to do valet parking at the Century Plaza too, and it's $4 more than at the Andaz, but it's definitely a viable Hyatt option that is only about 10 minutes drive from West Hollywood.
Old May 4, 2009, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by zacktravel
For that event, I'd probably do the Andaz over the Renn since you can get down to Santa Monica Blvd on foot from the Andaz while the Renn is really far away. Or consider some of the other properties more in WeHo like London etc.

I'm hopeful that they will improve their service issues - I know that they have been closely monitoring this and the Do threads.

Last edited by peteropny; May 4, 2009 at 7:06 am
Old May 4, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Agree with the above-and the CC Hyatt might be substantially cheaper for that weekend.
Old May 4, 2009, 4:59 pm

Thanks to all who came last week and more...

"I know that they have been closely monitoring this and the Do threads."

Indeed Peter we do monitor all the threads here and are working hard to address many of the issues all of you have brought up here.

And Zack, we hope you will stay with us for Pride if you come in June. We have some amazing specials that will be posted soon on our website, which will include lots of perks directly related to Pride that you won't be getting from the Renaisance. Stay tuned for all the details, but trust us, you'll be kicking yourself if you stay elsewhere that weekend.
Old May 4, 2009, 6:15 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I too was one of those who had issues with my recent stays at Andaz.
But I am willing to give the property another chance despite an unresolved new overcharge that came onto my credit card from my last stay.

Reasons to consider? A responsible GM in charge with a past track record within other Hyatt properties and some wonderful folks involved with this property in house and out of house in the Hyatt camp.

Let's in all fairness understand when a new brand rolls out there is a new learning curve for all parties onboard.Andaz like the W brand early on is far from a polished oiled brand.
It is a brand or work in progress Their first attempt in North America
And the good folks from Hyatt have certainly nailed some key aspects like public areas even if functionality isn't up to speed with the way frontlines interact with guests.
In other words they certainly have the right vibe in the right location and neighborhood.And it is more sophisticated then anything that has ever been offered previously there.

Even a new brand like Hyatt Place was no walk in the park early on if some of you remember.And it still is evolving to some degree
Diamond benefits?You were lucky to get a key to a clean Amersuites renovated room.I was walked twice as a Diamond from the same Hyatt Place property in the same week and that was one of the highlights of a series of stays far from memorable to be polite. If the folks at Andaz don't fix the concerns then that becomes a much bigger issue.

If most of the folks at Hyatt and Andaz weren't listening and were not making some fair efforts that might be another story.
The fact remains they have more recently and a new Hyatt may be emerging.
The one I lost patience with just a few years ago.Yes I had taken a very critical stance on Hyatt for some time 2005 on.
It appears they are back on track starting to listen publically and privately and reacting the way they do inside their strong hotels more typically with hospitable style.
For that reason alone I give my support and suggest others do too.
If nothing changes the worst case scenario one switches their loyalties elsewhere when the time is appropriate

For today Hyatt has me convinced they are behind this brand and want it to work in a big way.With two more properties in the pipeline with great New York City locations to come I am hoping for the best.
Hoping they will up the service levels and sincerity.

This much I know some of the right folks are there at Andaz and for that reason and for today I am erasing the past and trying to go forward with Andaz West Hollywood
Hope to see if they can deliver the Brand Promise.
Anyone else joining me?

That said I will be booking another stay for mid week in June and will report back on any progress should there be any.
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 4, 2009 at 6:23 pm
Old May 4, 2009, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by AndazWeho
Indeed Peter we do monitor all the threads here and are working hard to address many of the issues all of you have brought up here.
Welcome to active posting here on Flyertalk especially in our Hyatt forum

I'm very happy to hear this that you all are working on the issues that we have brought up. As much as it pained me to post a mostly negative review after the spectacular event that Andaz & Hyatt put together last week, not doing so would be a big dis-service to your property too. This was an aspect in my Do proposal to Hyatt that we be used as a focus group for the property (and Hyatt in general).

Since I'm definitely aware of many of the issues, please feel free to PM or Email me for any additional comments that you might wish
Old May 4, 2009, 11:41 pm

I'm v curious about Andaz, after rave reviews from 2 mates who've stayed. I'm a huge W fan (it's the reason I signed up with SPG in the first place) but am also rather curious about the hip hotels other chains have come up with. I have 5 nights in LA around 4th July weekend, and I'm wondering whether I should spend $195 to "experiment" at the Andaz for a night. [Award stay at W Westwood otherwise]

The location of the Andaz seems so much more 'in' than the W, as I like hanging out around that neighbourhood. Mmm cocktails at One Sunset.

But apart from that, what distinguishes the Andaz from the W (ie what makes the Andaz better than the W) that would justify spending $195 extra? Specfically:

- What's the bar scene like? Is there a Living Room type equivalent? How's the music, crowd etc ? Nothing worse than a supposedly happening hotel having a dead bar (like the W bar over a weekday).

- Any cool, interesting interior design elements? The website doesn't seem convincing, pics of the room look v bland (room looks more corporate Westin-esque than trendy) - and I can't find any "real" pics from reviews apart from 2 blurred pics on tripadvisor. I realise this is rather YMMV and hence I'm keen to see more comprehensive pics.

- Great service - especially, resourcefulness of concierge/cool, sassy, irreverent and fun staff etc. If there are any service issues, are these merely 'soft opening' niggles or are they systemic?

- Most importantly - a generally edgy vibe. Do you leave this hotel feeling like you've had so much fun?

Or should I just stay there anyway and experience it for myself?

I wouldn't mind spilling some stays over to Hyatt Gold Passport if it all works out.

The other alternative is switching my 2 nights in London to the Andaz there, but I've checked out the bars there and they didn't seem promising (rather conservative atmosphere, staff weren't overly welcoming or interactive, generic and passe design); not to mention the rather scathing reviews... I've no doubt it'd be quite a bit nicer than the SPGs in London however there's also the issue of having to make up for the SPG nights lost for PLT requalification.

Last edited by Keith009; May 5, 2009 at 12:02 am
Old May 5, 2009, 9:45 am

Just found more pics on this thread (forgive me, as I'm not familiar with the Hyatt forum ):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-apr-09-a.html

Love the poolside cabanas! ^
Old May 5, 2009, 4:14 pm

Answers and pictures

Hi QF009....

Here are some more pictures via Hotel Chatter:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3300538...7612441220633/

And here are some answers to your other open questions:

"What's the bar scene like? Is there a Living Room type equivalent? How's the music, crowd etc ? Nothing worse than a supposedly happening hotel having a dead bar (like the W bar over a weekday)."

The bar scene at RH is lively on weekends. The music runs the gamut from Massive Attack to José González. No hip-hop, loud rock or "club" music, as there are plenty of those options all over the Sunset Strip just blocks away from the Andaz. There is no better place to be in all of Los Angeles, however, than the Sunset Strip for nightlife. Check http://www.thesunsetstrip.com for more on our famed and still vibrant neighborhood. Staying in Westwood (far from the real action) doesn't even come close. If you are coming to L.A. for the first time, this neighborhood is where you'll want to be. And it's best to walk to music clubs/bars here, as you don't want to spend $40 on cab rides to Hollywood, the Sunset Strip and other must see nightlife meccas. You don't need a loud club inside your own hotel when you have over ten of L.A.'s best nightspots within 5 blocks of the hotel on either side. We are right in the heart of it all, and you don't have to worry about drinking and driving if you stay at the Andaz.

"Any cool, interesting interior design elements? The website doesn't seem convincing, pics of the room look v bland (room looks more corporate Westin-esque than trendy) - and I can't find any "real" pics from reviews apart from 2 blurred pics on tripadvisor. I realise this is rather YMMV and hence I'm keen to see more comprehensive pics."

There are amazing design elements all over the hotel, from our facade outside RH to large paintings inside the hotel. The NY Times even mentioned us in this piece on notable Los Angeles public art last week in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/ar...gn/03fink.html

"Great service - especially, resourcefulness of concierge/cool, sassy, irreverent and fun staff etc. If there are any service issues, are these merely 'soft opening' niggles or are they systemic?"

We will leave that up to you guys to decide.

"Most importantly - a generally edgy vibe. Do you leave this hotel feeling like you've had so much fun?"

We are confident that you will really enjoy your stay should you book a room here. The vibe is sophisticated, yet relaxed and fun.

"Or should I just stay there anyway and experience it for myself?"

Yes and yes.

Glad you like how the cabanas look. The view from the roof deck/pool is stunning.
Old May 6, 2009, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by krlock
So should i hold off on booking? I see that my other considered hotel, the chamberlain, has some pretty good specials at the moment, however im definitely trying to lean towards the Andaz.

My second question, if i choose the non-view room, do these still have floor to ceiling windows or are they more conventional with just normal windows and no balcony area?
First off please allow me to welcome you to Flyertalk and our Hyat forum.

I would usually book when I make a decision on which property for the dates that I want if its "freely" cancellable but check back occasionally to see if the rates have dropped. Current Andaz rates are cancellable - don't know about the Chamberlain ones.

The "regular" non-view rooms do not have floor to ceiling windows but have "conventional" ones - the floor to ceiling windows were created when they enclosed the former balconies facing Sunset in the renovation.
Old May 6, 2009, 12:28 pm

Hi Krlock...

Originally Posted by krlock
Hi AndazWeho,

thanks for your two cool posts.

My first trip to LA on 30 may, staying for 4 nights, i have been considering to stay at the Andaz as I do like the look of it.

You mention that you have more special offers coming soon. Basically I am just looking to get a cheap rate on either a normal room or a view room.

So should i hold off on booking? I see that my other considered hotel, the chamberlain, has some pretty good specials at the moment, however im definitely trying to lean towards the Andaz.

My second question, if i choose the non-view room, do these still have floor to ceiling windows or are they more conventional with just normal windows and no balcony area?

I would certainly appreciate your reply as i am looking to finalise my booking today or tomorrow!

krlock

I
...we will have a package special only for the weekend of June 12th-14th. Details on that package will be announced on our website soon. But we still would love to have you stay with us.

Regarding your second question, the floor-to-ceiling windows are only on the "view" side (facing/overlooking Sunset Blvd.). However, the picture windows facing the Hollywood Hills side are very large.

Hope this info helps you.

Best,

AndazWeHo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.