FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/845001-park-hyatt-melbourne-review-master-thread.html)

m0hamed Oct 8, 2023 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 35648041)

Interesting. I'm not on their email list!

777 global mile hound Oct 8, 2023 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 35648053)
Interesting. I'm not on their email list!

Hah! You have to not stay there to be included ;):o

seat2asuite Nov 22, 2023 8:10 pm

Is it me or is the breakfast buffet here under whelming? Almost cruise ship-ish?

777 global mile hound Nov 22, 2023 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by seat2asuite (Post 35765886)
Is it me or is the breakfast buffet here under whelming? Almost cruise ship-ish?

My data points are long ago but even then yes
But Hyatt in the US breakfast quality has declined so much in so many hotels I sometimes forget I’m at a
Hyatt.Or at least the Hyatt I once knew.Thank god for Door Dash it’s a lifeline with the declining f&B standards
Its getting so bad I’d prefer a Door Dash credit or points to opt out of dining
Abroad still better

EmpressRouge Nov 23, 2023 4:46 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 35766029)
My data points are long ago but even then yes
But Hyatt in the US breakfast quality has declined so much in so many hotels I sometimes forget I’m at a
Hyatt.Or at least the Hyatt I once knew.Thank god for Door Dash it’s a lifeline with the declining f&B standards
Its getting so bad I’d prefer a Door Dash credit or points to opt out of dining
Abroad still better

Just finished a stay there last week, and the breakfast was underwhelming. But as my Melburnian friend who works in the hotel industry says, "Our hotel breakfast in this city is s***."

777 global mile hound Nov 23, 2023 6:00 am

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge (Post 35766399)
Just finished a stay there last week, and the breakfast was underwhelming. But as my Melburnian friend who works in the hotel industry says, "Our hotel breakfast in this city is s***."

Happy Thanksgiving all 🦃
On the bright side I’ve always enjoyed breakfast at Collins Kitchen @ Grand Hyatt Melbourne where the wonderful French dining manager
keeps a watchful eye on excellent operations.Even importing European butter.I’ve complimented them many times
You can tell how good it is when non hotel guests and locals are enthusiastic too echoing praise out loud
Some of the managers when they know you will hold the nice booths with views for their regulars or in house guests
Not only do they make you feel special but they act happy to see you
Remarkable really.The formula works as for 25 years I’ve been coming back for more
And did I say they have a club? On Saturday nights they carve a roast in the club! It was so good we canceled dinner reservations

And oddly not a big fan of the Hyatt Centric Melbourne (nice enough but not the Park or the Grand
That said to their credit the breakfast was better than Park Hyatt
New York and some other Parks making it the only Centric I’ve ever been impressed with. F&B wise
The service was unacceptable non existent but we ate so well we skipped lunch
I loved the avocado and cucumber salad and a well executed omelet
The GM is the former long time Grand Hyatt GM and word is he brought a few over from Grand Hyatt from Collins kitchen

Growing up most every Hyatt had high standards and while some hotels still perform well
at the Hyatt Centric in the US now it’s just shockingly bad.The fresh fruit is cut up apples out of season grapes and discolored pears and pomegranate seeds 🤷‍♂️🙄
Ordered an omelette with Swiss with asparagus and potatoes
out came a dry omelet steam rolled disintegrated with broccoli rabe no cheese & no potatoes
End of rant 😂 1 800 grub hub anyone?
Sad when a limited service Hilton Garden inn has a better breakfast

Colin Nov 23, 2023 10:11 am

Originally Posted by seat2asuite (Post 35765886)

the restaurant and its windowless bar in the basement certainly look like a cruise ship, but the breakfast for our stay this month was pretty good we thought. certainly exceeding expectations relative to the USD180 room rate.

EmpressRouge Nov 24, 2023 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 35766982)
the restaurant and its windowless bar in the basement certainly look like a cruise ship, but the breakfast for our stay this month was pretty good we thought. certainly exceeding expectations relative to the USD180 room rate.

Slight clarification/correction to my earlier assessment: the selection was underwhelming but the quality was good (especially of the fresh fruit and yogurts), and I was well fed every morning.
I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but cruise ship is a perfect description of the dining room. The layout was just so awkward trying to carry your plate of food and having go up and down all the stairs. That floor plan contributed to my initial "underwhelming" assessment of the breakfast.
I think the original hip/high-end for the 80s(?) design choices probably causing a lot of floor plan inefficiencies (all those random stairs in the restaurant, awkwardly positioned shower stalls, wasted space for bathroom TVs). That said, the rooms, especially for base rooms, are very spacious and the slightly dated decor is well maintained. We had connecting rooms: 2 twins + 1 king deluxe, and there was lots of room for our toddler to run around between the 2 rooms.

chad75 Nov 25, 2023 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge (Post 35768499)
I think the original hip/high-end for the 80s(?) design choices probably causing a lot of floor plan inefficiencies (all those random in the restaurant, awkwardly positioned shower stalls, wasted space for bathroom TVs). That said, the rooms, especially for base rooms, are very spacious and the slightly dated decor is well maintained. We had connecting rooms: 2 twins + 1 king deluxe, and there was lots of room for our toddler to run around between the 2 rooms.

To get the full cruise ship ambiance - head down to the conference area downstairs, it's like the friggin love boat down there! They do a nice porridge/oatmeal at breakfast though.

outgoing Jan 3, 2024 9:39 pm

We had a good stay here for 5 days in early December. I had conference at Monash (downtown location) and some business at the Uni so the location is perfect. Used certificate to upgrade to a suite and got the same type of base suite as last time. No bells and whistles but proper large room with separate bedroom. Importantly, you can connect your laptop to the big TV which helps with calls. Breakfast was fine by me, although coffee was pretty bad. Service was pleasant and professional. Other than that, as before, nothing special about the hotel but it's good value for money given that it was priced similar to Hilton (which we stayed at during world cup) and Grand Hyatt. Will come back next time I have business in town. Also, if you're a meat eater, you should really try Butchers Dinner on Bourke St. Their blood sausage burger is amazing!

Ijones027 Mar 13, 2024 12:58 pm

Can anyway explain other then getting the terrace suite as a upgrade why would this be better then the gh?

steveholt Mar 13, 2024 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ijones027 (Post 36077317)
Can anyway explain other then getting the terrace suite as a upgrade why would this be better then the gh?

It's a nicer hotel? The rooms are better-outfitted, the hotel feels quieter and more sophisticated, the standard rooms/suites are quite spacious, they have a hotel dog and the GH does not...

Ijones027 Mar 13, 2024 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt (Post 36078562)
It's a nicer hotel? The rooms are better-outfitted, the hotel feels quieter and more sophisticated, the standard rooms/suites are quite spacious, they have a hotel dog and the GH does not...

is that your personal experince because looking at the thread's and reviews is seems to be the opposite or the same. A few things are clear the standard suite at gh is bigger then the ph suite or even the terrace suite, no lounge at ph gh does, i guess if a dog is your thing then ph has a leg up . the gym also seems to be better, the service reviews are all over the place some people say the ph is good some say not same with the gh, most reviews seem to say they're both dated maybe one's more dated then the other, I don't recall being more confused about the difference in a ph and gh in the same city

steveholt Mar 13, 2024 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ijones027 (Post 36078631)
is that your personal experince because looking at the thread's and reviews is seems to be the opposite or the same. A few things are clear the standard suite at gh is bigger then the ph suite or even the terrace suite, no lounge at ph gh does, i guess if a dog is your thing then ph has a leg up . the gym also seems to be better, the service reviews are all over the place some people say the ph is good some say not same with the gh, most reviews seem to say they're both dated maybe one's more dated then the other, I don't recall being more confused about the difference in a ph and gh in the same city

I've stayed at both hotels. The PH standard room is significantly larger, although you're correct that the GH suite is larger. (I've stayed at the GH in the past when they had smaller suites, my recent stays have been in standard rooms because I didn't find their suite product to be substantial.) GH lounge was a zoo when I was there, although I do msis the PH lounge. Gym in the PH is better, and there's a new tennis court, spa is nicer, the pool is much more comfortable/less garish. If you prefer the GH, that's entirely fine! I've found PH service to be excellent most of the time. I can't imagine the service would be better at the GH when there's twice as many rooms, but I don't think service is going to be a significant differentiator.

Ijones027 Mar 13, 2024 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt (Post 36078645)
I've stayed at both hotels. The PH standard room is significantly larger, although you're correct that the GH suite is larger. (I've stayed at the GH in the past when they had smaller suites, my recent stays have been in standard rooms because I didn't find their suite product to be substantial.) GH lounge was a zoo when I was there, although I do msis the PH lounge. Gym in the PH is better, and there's a new tennis court, spa is nicer, the pool is much more comfortable/less garish. If you prefer the GH, that's entirely fine! I've found PH service to be excellent most of the time. I can't imagine the service would be better at the GH when there's twice as many rooms, but I don't think service is going to be a significant differentiator.

no I'm actually just trying to decide. you said they use to have smaller suites at the gh is that still the case because online it shows 800sq? And if I use a suite upgrade at ph what are the odds they would give me a terrace suite?