FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/845001-park-hyatt-melbourne-review-master-thread.html)

m0hamed Jul 17, 2023 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 35422592)
thanks, your comments here (and in other threads!) are very helpful.

im trying to reconcile your view with Chad (post 666) who prefers a deluxe room with balcony to the “dark and pokey” entry level suites.

I have a feel for the location and lounge situation, but now the rates are the same for my week there (which straddles new years) making the decision harder.

are the entry suites truly dark and pokey? Hard product in the suite trumps all- (the extra food from breakfast and the lounge is worse for my waistline than it’s good for my wallet).

The Park Suites are not good. As I posted in my last review the old Club Deluxe, now Deluxe, are the same size (if not better) and have better layouts.

Almost all Park Suites have odd layouts that are either pokey, or rectangular with the bathroom in the middle of the room sandwiched between the bedroom and living room.

beachfan Jul 17, 2023 11:21 pm

No door between bedroom and living room is a deal breaker. So unless I lock in a premium suite with cash on top of TSU, seems like the GH standard suite is better than the standard suite at PH.

Grest yo know, I’ll bring earplugs for NYE.

m0hamed Jul 18, 2023 12:32 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 35422638)
No door between bedroom and living room is a deal breaker. So unless I lock in a premium suite with cash on top of TSU, seems like the GH standard suite is better than the standard suite at PH.

Grest yo know, I’ll bring earplugs for NYE.

Sorry, there is a frosted door between the rooms in the Park Suite. But it really doesn't do much.

My last stay in a Park Suite was the worst room I'd ever had allocated in over 200 nights.

The Terrace and Ambassador are beautiful, though.

jarodmc Jul 21, 2023 4:02 pm

GH King Suite vs PH Terrace Suite

Greetings all. Comparison question for those of you familiar with the properties. I am a globalist, and looking at Prive rates for upcoming stay in Melbourne. Right now, I can book a base room at GH and use a suite upgrade to get into a standard king suite for only ~$220 per night. Alternatively, I could book into a park king suite at PH and upgrade into a terrace suite, but this booking would be ~$470 per night (since I'd have to book a base level suite outright). Obviously if terrace suite upgrade didn't clear I'd cancel and go for the former reservation at GH. Stay will be myself, my wife and my son. Is terrace suite that much better than the base GH suite that it would warrant paying that much more? I am assuming most would say no, but thought I'd put it out there...

777 global mile hound Jul 21, 2023 4:20 pm

I think you really have to have photos to compare.
Because i travel by myself or one other I wouldn't flinch and save the $$$ and go to the Grand Hyatt
But I also like the dining there better (breakfast rocks) Club and Collins Kitchen and a superior gym
But we have fans of both hotels in this forum and when you are sharing accommodations space trumps all IMO
The Grand Hyatt suites have two bathrooms though 1 shower and one jacuzzi

m0hamed Jul 21, 2023 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by jarodmc (Post 35433645)
Greetings all. Comparison question for those of you familiar with the properties. I am a globalist, and looking at Prive rates for upcoming stay in Melbourne. Right now, I can book a base room at GH and use a suite upgrade to get into a standard king suite for only ~$220 per night. Alternatively, I could book into a park king suite at PH and upgrade into a terrace suite, but this booking would be ~$470 per night (since I'd have to book a base level suite outright). Obviously if terrace suite upgrade didn't clear I'd cancel and go for the former reservation at GH. Stay will be myself, my wife and my son. Is terrace suite that much better than the base GH suite that it would warrant paying that much more? I am assuming most would say no, but thought I'd put it out there...

I love the Terrace Suite at the PH, but it is smaller than the Grand Suite. Fine for a couple, but unsure for 3.

The Grand Suites at the GH are large and as others have noted also a Club Lounge. You need to decide what is most important for you.

You should find reviews for both in each thread.

Colin Jul 21, 2023 6:04 pm

I'd happily pay an extra ~USD150/n* to stay at the PH in a Terrace Suite rather than the GH in a Grand Suite. Not even a close call really.

*net, after accounting for value of additional earned points

danger Jul 21, 2023 7:19 pm

A rate of $220 a night is exceptionally low for this hotel. I haven't seen rates like that in a long time.

jarodmc Jul 21, 2023 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by danger (Post 35433978)
A rate of $220 a night is exceptionally low for this hotel. I haven't seen rates like that in a long time.

$220 USD, to be clear.

danger Jul 21, 2023 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by jarodmc (Post 35433999)
$220 USD, to be clear.

Ohhh. Well that's quite different.

beachfan Jul 21, 2023 7:49 pm

Why would you expect confirmation of the upgrade in advance? Perhaps via direct discussion? TSU's won't work from standard suite to premium suite.

m0hamed Jul 21, 2023 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 35434015)
Why would you expect confirmation of the upgrade in advance? Perhaps via direct discussion? TSU's won't work from standard suite to premium suite.

The question is about a TSU at the GH or booking a a Park Suite at the PH via Prive with the aim that the hotel confirms a Terrace Suite.

I have had the latter prior, however I have a very large number of nights at the hotel and my TA advises that some properties are citing forecast occupancy as a reason to decline.

I would ask your TA to confirm whether PH MEL will upgrade from Park to Terrace prior to booking and then decide.

chad75 Jul 22, 2023 8:09 pm

I view the PH as a tier above the GH so it would always be my preference - but that is a subjective view based on individual values. What time of the year are you looking at? The Terrace Suite has an indoor space similar to some of the Park Suites and Deluxe King View Rooms. So you really need to be able to utilise the terrace to make it worth it.

beachfan Jul 23, 2023 1:42 am

deleted by author

777 global mile hound Oct 8, 2023 6:09 pm

Park Hyatt Melbourne Suite Sale

https://tx.contacta.io/email/6513791...70c/viewonline