Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
The cancel policy for these peak periods at HR Kyoto changes as it gets close in. Res made early get the standard cancel policy of 24 hr. The hotel always honors the original cancel policy at time of res.

My "Change" email had both the 7-day and 24-hr policies indicated.
Ahh yes you're right. I didn't look at it close enough, it does say both 7-day and 24-hr cancelation policy.

Either way I didn't really appreciate the rate change so close to check-in, especially if they should have been aware of this change months ago and seemingly had ample time to implement it.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by updawg
I didn't really appreciate the rate change so close to check-in, especially if they should have been aware of this change months ago and seemingly had ample time to implement it.
Nor I. HR Kyoto is our weekend getaway at least once a month. I have more than 20 reservations over the next year, all the way into April 2015, and I guess I'll need to expect getting "change" emails on the new rate a day or so before each reservation
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:20 pm

Rates now exclusive of tax & service

Room rates at HR Kyoto are now indicated exclusive of tax & service. On the reservation confirmation the tax is indicated as 8.8% and service as 10%, which is not actually correct, since the tax is 8%, but since the tax is also levied on the service charge, the yen amount indicated for tax is 8.8% of the amount indicated as the room rate.

This type of rate policy was common throughout Japan up until about 10 years ago, when most hotels switched to T&S inclusive rates, but then the upscale hotels in Tokyo reverted to the old policy (except that some hotels would use T&S exclusive rates on their English websites and inclusive rates on their Japanese websites).

Restaurant menus (and I imagine all other charges) at HR Kyoto are also now showing prices exclusive of tax & service, which again will be an additional 18.8%.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is because the rate is scheduled to increase again in a couple of years, so the Japanese government went back to allowing quotes without consumption tax through (I think) 2017 when it again becomes mandatory to include it in the price. You probably knew that, but I figured most didn't.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This is because the rate is scheduled to increase again in a couple of years, so the Japanese government went back to allowing quotes without consumption tax through (I think) 2017 when it again becomes mandatory to include it in the price. You probably knew that, but I figured most didn't.
Actually, it is next year, 1 Oct 2015, that the consumption tax is scheduled to go up to 10%. I imagine the gov will keep the option to delay until 6 months before, like they did for this increase.

I'm not sure the requirement to list prices applied to hotel rates. As you know, the Tokyo hotels have been listing them exclusive of T&S for a while now. Of course, as you also know, some things that are mandatory in Japan, like the ban on smoking in ALL restaurants, are weakly enforced and carry no penalty for non-compliance, making such rules rather toothless.

For visitors to Japan right now, and for residents as well, prices can be a bit confusing, many retailers are listing both tax inclusive and exclusive prices, but some are still only listing tax inclusive and others only tax exclusive.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:20 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

For visitors to Japan right now, and for residents as well, prices can be a bit confusing, many retailers are listing both tax inclusive and exclusive prices, but some are still only listing tax inclusive and others only tax exclusive.
I fully agree with you on that....I've been shopping for some camera equipment and this makes comparing prices on websites rather confusing. Especially when I can claim a refund on the consumption tax at some of the sellers.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:47 am

In regards to the 3,000JPY coupon that was talked about upthread, has anyone received the coupon who booked a MER? The coupon details seem to indicate it is only issued with the "Explore Classic Japan" package, i.e. when staying 3 nights split between locations in Kyoto and Tokyo, but members have indicated that they are receiving the coupon when booking through Hyatt.com regardless of stays in Tokyo.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by bmrisko
In regards to the 3,000JPY coupon that was talked about upthread, has anyone received the coupon who booked a MER? The coupon details seem to indicate it is only issued with the "Explore Classic Japan" package, i.e. when staying 3 nights split between locations in Kyoto and Tokyo, but members have indicated that they are receiving the coupon when booking through Hyatt.com regardless of stays in Tokyo.
Yes I received the coupon with the MER.

Another note, on the coupon it says valid for dinner only but I am able to use it for breakfast, lunch, etc.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:53 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Of course, as you also know, some things that are mandatory in Japan, like the ban on smoking in ALL restaurants, are weakly enforced and carry no penalty for non-compliance, making such rules rather toothless.
Apologies for the derail, but I was unaware such a ban existed. I know that certain prefectures (i.e. Kanagawa) have implemented requirements to ban smoking entirely or clearly separate smoking and non-smoking sections in restaurants/bars of a certain size, but I know of no national legislation that bans smoking in all restaurants. There is a national law that requires restaurants (among other public places) to work to reduce the inhalation of second-hand smoke by "taking appropriate measures" but the law is so vague as to be unenforceable.

This might be worth a thread in the Japan forum.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar
There is a national law that requires restaurants (among other public places) to work to reduce the inhalation of second-hand smoke by "taking appropriate measures" but the law is so vague as to be unenforceable.
You’re referring to Article 25 of the Health Promotion Act, as was I, which states:

“Management of schools, gymnasiums, ... restaurants/bars, and other facilities where a large number of people gather must work to implement the necessary measures to prevent passive smoking (defined as the inhalation of another person’s tobacco smoke in an indoor or equivalent environment) by the persons utilizing those facilities.” (my bolding)

I’m sorry to disagree with you, but I don’t consider the law all that vague. Although I guess I was giving it more clarity than it deserves by calling it a ban on smoking, I think the law is pretty clear in requiring a demonstrable effort to ensure an environment completely free of second-hand smoke. Much of the restaurant industry has simply ignored the law, even though almost all other types of public facilities have made considerable progress in complying with the law since it was enacted in 2002.

But I meant my original comment only as an aside, and you’re right, this is getting off-topic for the HR Kyoto and the discussion would be better in the Japan forum.

Just to keep some relevance to this thread, at HR Kyoto the Italian restaurant Sette is completely smoke-free. At the Japanese restaurant Touzan I believe they allow smoking in the semi-private side areas, which are not completely separated from the main area, but we eat there frequently and have never been bothered by smoke. At The Grill restaurant they used to allow smoking at the side bar counter, but I hope they have stopped that, since it is not at all separated from the main area. The Touzan bar has no non-smoking area, but the staff will gently try to steer smokers away from you if you mention that are averse to smoke; however, this is not always possible, and the bar can sometimes be incredibly smoky.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: ual 1M, AA Exe Plat, KAL Premium, Hilton & Hyatt Diamond, IHC PA, Marriott&SPG Gold,
Angry my stay mar 21-23,2014, compared to other Hotels in Japan

Stayed from Mar 21 – 24,
Personally this hotel is totally over exaggerated in terms of price and quality of service compared to other hotels in Japan (stayed Hyatt Osaka, Grand Hyatt Tokyo, Park Hyatt Tokyo Conrad, etc). Also I stayed Intercontinental Osaka (Mar 20) before I stayed this hotel. The reasons are as follow;
- Nothing is particular in room and decoration (small and furbished from a second class business hotel)
- Real maze to the fitness center, lack of facility for sauna (small little dry and two shower booth) and other facilities such as small elevator etc.
- Tried 3 dinners at Hotel restaurant, but it was no particular than street restaurant (Very rare to find rest nearby)
- Hear toilet flush from upper floor
- Torn down hotel directory
- Not convenience for neighbor facility except one museum (closed for maintence when I was there)

Consider to stay at Hotel in Osaka as base, then 30 minutes commuting as alternative. Since I stayed one night at Intercontinental Osaka before go to Hyatt Kyoto, the service that I received from Intercontinental Osaka (rated as 10/10 for survey) and Hyatt Kyoto (rated 3/10 for survey) was not comparable even I am Diamond in Hyatt and Platinum in IHG. The service offered from Intercontinental Osaka vs Hyatt Kyoto
- picked up at station with your name vs (unpublished) reimbursed taxi fare in station pick up
- every convenience things are closeby in Intercontinental Osaka vs very few and limited to place to eat around outside the hotel
- not comparable room and other facilities(Gym sauna) vs remodeled 2nd class
- price I paid at Intercontinental Osaka was 2/3 of price of Hyatt Kyoto
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (WIKI)

The standard rooms are a bit on the small side that's for sure. Here the history is showing. And I don't really like the annex either. But from my experience I cannot really agree on the rest. I've just had two stays and service was perfect, best of all the Hyatts on this trip although the GH Fukuoka was a close second.

Location is something you know in advance. But I don't really mind the 5 minutes to the train, the 15 minutes to the station and a few extra to Kiomizudera. But I do like the Granvia a bit better just for the location.

A bit pricey in high season, but most in Kyoto are. Try looking at prices for the RC....

And the HR Osaka is at least 75 minutes one-way from hotel to Kyoto station. I also did that twice just two weeks ago, total waste of time if you can help it. Staying at Osaka station would cut that in half, but I still prefer not having to travel at all.

Best stay in Osaka if you like it better there. But who cares about having your name known to a taxi company or wasting a few hours everyday when you really want to be in Kyoto anyway.

Last edited by RTW1; Apr 14, 2014 at 6:39 pm
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:21 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
The Touzan bar has no non-smoking area, but the staff will gently try to steer smokers away from you if you mention that are averse to smoke; however, this is not always possible, and the bar can sometimes be incredibly smoky.
I agree with this -- my experience at the Touzan Bar was rather unpleasant due to the presence of so many smokers. I realize the bar is rather small so 分煙 probably wouldn't help, and they're unlikely to ban smoking entirely of their own volition.

(Oh, and I agree with you 100% on the laxity of Japan's attitude towards smoking!)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:48 pm

For someone who wants to spend most of their time shopping, dining, and enjoying the hotel gym, there are definitely better options in Osaka than in Kyoto. It is very likely that you could find considerable more luxury in Osaka than at HR Kyoto, and depending on the season, at a much lower rate.

However, if you are in the area to visit Kyoto, Osaka can be a bit tiring. The fastest train (shinkaisoku/new rapid service) from Osaka Station to Kyoto Station takes 30 minutes, running every 15 minutes (the kaisoku/rapid service takes 40 minutes and the futsu/local takes 46 minutes), so minumum total time from any hotel in Osaka would be 45 minutes even for someone who knows exactly what they are doing. For most visitors it would be better to plan at least 60 minutes. And the shinkaisoku is always crowded, especially for the return from Kyoto to Osaka.

As for location in Kyoto, for someone who wants to visit a number of the major sights, there is no one ideal location. Everything is rather spread out, and the transportation system is not well integrated. You'll likely end up using a combination of JR, Keihan, and subway, plus maybe a few buses and taxis. Anyone who has been to Kyoto will have noticed that for this reason the visiting high school groups book taxis for the day, putting 4 students in each cab (or more for a mini-bus taxi).

On the other hand, no matter where you stay in Kyoto, you're likely to be close to something interesting. HR Kyoto is adjacent to Sanjusangendo, and an easy walk to Kiyomizu-dera, Yasaka-jinja, and Tofukuji, all major sights, as well as many minor sights.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Actually, it is next year, 1 Oct 2015, that the consumption tax is scheduled to go up to 10%. I imagine the gov will keep the option to delay until 6 months before, like they did for this increase.
But the option to not have to display the price with tax is until 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.