Wiki Posts
Search

The end of Hyatt San Jose?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2006, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The end of Hyatt San Jose?

We are on a short weekend trip out of SJC and just parked at the Hyatt San Jose. One of the staffers mentioned to us that there was a rumor going around the employees that the hotel would cease to be a Hyatt in August and would be re-branded -- they didn't know what but some of the staff thought that "Four Points by Sheraton" would be good.

Another mattress run site bites the dust?
Old May 12, 2006, 9:34 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
gee, Rickey's and now the San Jose -- finally culling the dogs??
Old May 12, 2006, 10:38 pm

I think they would have to do significant work to get the hotel up to Four Points standards.
Old May 13, 2006, 2:52 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
I wonder if they are hearding about this or if this deal fell through and the current owner is looking for other opportunities. San Jose Hyatt is not owned or operated by Hyatt.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...light=San+Jose
Old May 13, 2006, 9:03 am

I'd admit that my tastes are...uh...unconventional. Rickey's was my favorite Hyatt until it closed. I've always liked San Jose too. To each his/her own, eh?
Old May 13, 2006, 9:23 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Doesn't Accor have a hotel chain that this place would fit nicely?
Old May 13, 2006, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Would hardly be a suprise after all the griping the place generates and Hyatt's seemingly tying to push themselves up into the St. Regis and Ritz category rather than staying in the Sheraton and Marriott category. Much as I found it quirkily entertaining it just isn't comparable to most other Hyatts. Maybe makes a Hyatt Place when that gets rolling.

Still its mattress run material, although without FFN and my "home Hyatt" defecting, my Diamond days are numbered anyway.
Old May 15, 2006, 10:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Originally Posted by wrose99
I think they would have to do significant work to get the hotel up to Four Points standards.
There are some pretty bad 4pts out there. I don't think they'd have to do much more than make the Internet free and start charging for breakfast regardless of status. The 4 comforts bed might be an improvement, but the shampoo would be worse. Without FFNs there are is no compelling reason to stay there.

Wasn't there an earlier thread saying it was slated for demolition?
Old May 16, 2006, 9:47 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Looks like my trip to SJC for work will just make the cut off to crank out a few more stays before it bites the dust
Old May 17, 2006, 5:43 pm

Hyatt San Jose still there

there is still a Hyatt in San Jose, it's by the airport. The one downtown changed ownerships last year and is no longer a Hyatt now.

There is also the Hyatt in Santa Clara which is about 15mins from San Jose. It used to be a Westin and changed to a Hyatt last December. They are pretty comfortable.

A
Old May 17, 2006, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's the one by the airport I was referring to, and of course it's still there. Again, what I was reporting on was a staff rumor about its possible demise through rebranding this August -- that's three months in the future.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:13 am

June Update

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
We are on a short weekend trip out of SJC and just parked at the Hyatt San Jose. One of the staffers mentioned to us that there was a rumor going around the employees that the hotel would cease to be a Hyatt in August and would be re-branded -- they didn't know what but some of the staff thought that "Four Points by Sheraton" would be good.

Another mattress run site bites the dust?

End of June Update: was informed while checking in that this was indeed no longer going to be a Hyatt as of mid-August (was the Front Desk agent's best guess). Reasons - the hotel was only a franchise and too many complaints that it wasn't up to Hyatt standards. The staff don't think they will lose jobs with the changeover.

Of note - they were/are in the process of painting the buildings (started last Friday).

Indeed, another MR option in the SF Bay Area gone soon. Gee, just when I found a room at this Hyatt that seemed worthy of staying the nite.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by trd
gee, Rickey's and now the San Jose -- finally culling the dogs??
It's prety amazing that in the center of Silicon Valley Hyatt could have allowed this franchise to be the laughing stock of their properties. During the dot com boom and $400 a night 100% occupancy did the franchise owner just pocket the money and put nothing back into the hotel???
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:10 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by sdix
During the dot com boom and $400 a night 100% occupancy did the franchise owner just pocket the money and put nothing back into the hotel???
So it would appear.
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:42 pm
AMA

next time you stay there in San Jose and the hotel staff is
speculating about new ownership, ask 'em if Tom Bodett is
gonna be the new doorman.

There'll always be a light on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.