Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Playing The Hyatt "Resort" Lottery

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Playing The Hyatt "Resort" Lottery

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Playing The Hyatt "Resort" Lottery

Seemed pretty clear to me... On Hyatt.com, there's a clear list of hotels Hyatt considers to be "Resorts", listed separately from the Hyatt, GH & Park brands. As a Diamond, I know there are different rules for those, including that I cannot redeem a Diamond suite upgrade certificate at them.

So, I arrived at a Regency-branded hotel definitely not on that list, checked-in (on an eligible rate) at the RC and presented a Diamond suite upgrade certificate, which was cheerfully accepted and I was assigned a suite. So far, so good. Then, while on my way to my suite, I was approached by an Asst Mgr who told me that a mistake had been made and that my certificate was not valid at the hotel because it was a "Resort". Instead, he offered me the option of paying the rack RC rate - over three times the rate I had paid - with a "courtesy" upgrade to the suite I had already been allocated and was on my way to, key-in-hand. As you can imagine, I was far from pleased with this and asserted that the hotel was not described as a "Resort" by Hyatt, so my certificate should be valid. He disagreed and was adamant: pay up or take a standard RC room. Being very tired, I was not in the mood for a heated argument and did not want to be downgraded; instead we agreed a lower supplementary payment and I took the suite, but it did cost me considerably more.

When I got home, I asked GP for confirmation of the hotel's status and, initially, they confirmed that it was not a "Resort", so I then took the matter up with the hotel's GM. He wrote back, reasserting that his hotel is a "Resort" and attached an internal Hyatt document listing most, if not all, Hyatts worldwide, with his being designated "Resort/Meeting" - along with many other hotels not shown on the website list.

I immediately took it up with GP and asked which was right - Hyatt.com or the hotel. GP wrote back, apologising and confirming that, in fact, the hotel GM was right and that his hotel, among many others, is a "Resort", although this is not reflected on Hyatt.com. The GP agent said, "Our International Resorts are not listed on the Internet", although Hyatt.com lists Aruba and Grand Cayman, neither of which is in the US, and gave this list of international "Resorts":

Hyatt Regency Acapulco -Mexico
Baili Hyatt - Indonesia
Grand Hyatt Bali-Indonesia
Hyatt Regency Cancun - Mexico
Hyatt Cancun Caribe- Mexico
Hyatt Regency Coolum- Australia
Park Hyatt Goa resort and spa- India
Hyatt Regency Guam - Guam
Hyatt Regency Hua Hin -Thailand
Hyatt Regency Jeju -South Korea
Hyatt Regency Kathmandu - Nepal
Hyatt Regency Kuantan-Malaysia
Hyatt Regency La Manga Spain
Hyatt Regency Macau - Macau
Grand Hyatt Muscat -Oman
Hyatt Regency Saipan-Mariana Islands
Hyatt Regency Sanctuary Cove - Australia
Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheik- Egypt
Hyatt Regency Tabah Heights - Egypt
Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki - Greece
Hyatt Regency Yogyakarta -Indonesia

The GM of the hotel I was at has made a generous offer to compensate for my inconvenience and extra expense and my stay was otherwise superb, so I do not want to name which of the above hotels this happened at, especially since it seems the fault lies with Hyatt Corp.

The list above represents a large number of hotels at which it would be very desirable to have full GP benefits. Am I alone in not knowing about these secret "Resorts"? Why are they not listed on Hyatt.com? Has anyone else been caught out like this? What do you think?

Last edited by Dakota; Feb 8, 2006 at 12:09 pm
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I agree, they should be listed, particularly since the benefits are different.

Now, which hotel WAS it? Maybe WE should keep the list as a sticky.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:19 pm

I am sorry but after the mistake was made theres on way the MGR should have chased you down and held a gun to your head for more money to keep the suite you were given at check in. At this point theres no way I would have paid more for the suite. I would file a complaint with GP over the way this was handled and ask for the return of your money or points.

What hotel had the balls to ask for more money after you left the desk?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Wonder if one trys to redeem mid week 1 night FFN's on these "resorts" are they then classified as "resorts" too?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:26 am
Original Poster

According to this information, all the above are classified as "Resorts", with their special T&C's, in addition to those listed at Hyatt.com, so yes.

Originally Posted by holtju2
Wonder if one trys to redeem mid week 1 night FFN's on these "resorts" are they then classified as "resorts" too?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:35 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by holtju2
Yes, you can redeem 1 weeknight FFNs at the international resorts. Actually, Hyatt must have had the comprehensive list on their website at one point, because I distinctly remember using it to figure out which hotels I could use single weeknight FFNs at.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dakota
According to this information, all the above are classified as "Resorts", with their special T&C's, in addition to those listed at Hyatt.com, so yes.
It seems to me the whole point of this thread is that there is one resort which is not on the resort list. Why wouldn't you disclose which one it is? Maybe it is an obvious mistake that the property is not on the resort list?

Last edited by TerryK; Feb 9, 2006 at 6:34 pm
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:21 am
Original Poster

No, the point is that there are an additional 21 Resorts not on the published list of Resorts. Those 21 are listed in my OP.

The reason I have not disclosed which one I had a problem with is because it seems they did nothing wrong - the fault lies with Hyatt Corp, apparently - and I see no reason to single it for criticism out in that case.

Originally Posted by TerryK
It seems to me the whole point of this thread is that there is one resort which is not on the resort list. Why wouldn't you disclose which one it is? Maybe it is an obvious mistake that the property is not on the resort list?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:53 am

Oh I think they did something seriously wrong. Once you are checked into a hotel and assigned a room, initial the rate and check out dates, then the hotel is as obligated to honor that room assignment as you are to pay for your stay. Particuarly where many Hyatts charge the nonsense early check out fee if you decide to shorten your stay.

It is absoloutely outrageous that the manager would chase you down over this. Very poor customer service for any guest, let alone a diamond. So the hotel should absolutely be named, as they definitely mistreated a guest.

By the way, my comment to the manager would have been that the only mistake that was made was apparently your selecting that hotel, and I would have headed to my assigned room.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:17 am
Original Poster

I disagree: I think it was a very difficult situation for the staff too. As far as the Asst. Mgr was concerned, I had presented an invalid certificate which had been mistakenly accepted by a junior colleague, and he intercepted me right outside the Club lounge. He offered to honour my pre-assigned RC upgrade or an alternative way to keep the suite and was very polite about it.

Are you seriously suggesting that I should have pushed him aside and strong-armed my way into the suite anyway, in the early hours of the morning and after a long flight at that? Not a good way to start a long stay over Christmas!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Dakota
Are you seriously suggesting that I should have pushed him aside and strong-armed my way into the suite anyway,
Are you seriously suggesting that he was physically restraining you from entering your assigned room? Makes it all the more outrageous and definitely would be a first - at least for me.

I would have said excuse me -politely - and proceeded to my room. And if he attempted to physically restrain me I can assure you I would have spent the night in my suite, while he would have been in a jail cell.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
And if he attempted to physically restrain me I can assure you I would have spent the night in my suite, while he would have been in a jail cell.
And the moral of the story:

DON'T MESS WITH FOLKS FROM BOSTON!!!!!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:56 am
Original Poster

I'm very glad I did it my own way: kept the suite, had a fabulous stay and we were treated like royalty throughout by an ever-smiling, gracious staff. After bringing the matter to the GM's and Hyatt's attention, I am pleased with their response. Beats a heated confrontation for me anytime.

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Are you seriously suggesting that he was physically restraining you from entering your assigned room? Makes it all the more outrageous and definitely would be a first - at least for me.

I would have said excuse me -politely - and proceeded to my room. And if he attempted to physically restrain me I can assure you I would have spent the night in my suite, while he would have been in a jail cell.
Quite!

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
And the moral of the story:

DON'T MESS WITH FOLKS FROM BOSTON!!!!!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:54 pm

They were gracious and smiling because of all the extra $$$ they got out of you.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:41 am
Original Poster

OK, so some might disagree with how I handled my own situation, but the important point in all this is that Hyatt is not properly disclosing which of its hotels are "Resorts", with their attendant special conditions. In fact, all the additional "Resorts" above are listed separately from the Resorts, under their own brands (PH, HR, etc.).

This is clearly misleading and wrong. What do people think of that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.