Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Scottsdale at Gainey Ranch (rebranding to GH) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold, Crown & Anchor Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, mLife Gold
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Going to give another chance here since the Biltmore isn’t available one of the nights. A bit shocking that it’s sold out on a random Sunday in June but whatever. Rates were only $240 with free parking so it’s not that bad. Hopefully at least I get some sort of upgrade this time otherwise I have a hard time justifying paying 2x as much over the Mission Palms when they gave me a an upgrade to a 1br suite last time. Really only care about a decent room, breakfast which looks good enough, housekeeping which looks back to normal, and hopefully a pool that’s not a complete zoo to come back to after hiking in the morning.
Just a heads up starting last week the city has been closing trails at 11 am because of the heat. I hiked Piestewa Peak last week before work and it was pretty busy by 5:20 am. if you are doing Camelback the parking lot is a bit smaller than Piestewa Peak and fills up quick. Tom's Thumb in North Scottsdale is also a good hike and has a large parking area. Make sure to get there early as well because there is no shade there. It was about 84* at 5:00 AM when I went last week.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Airport Coffee
Just a heads up starting last week the city has been closing trails at 11 am because of the heat. I hiked Piestewa Peak last week before work and it was pretty busy by 5:20 am. if you are doing Camelback the parking lot is a bit smaller than Piestewa Peak and fills up quick. Tom's Thumb in North Scottsdale is also a good hike and has a large parking area. Make sure to get there early as well because there is no shade there. It was about 84* at 5:00 AM when I went last week.
Yeah we plan on going early. My wife has lived in the PNW her entire life and can’t handle heat like I can. She’d melt in the temperatures Phoenix had recently. We were actually planning on going to Saguro and maybe Sedona another day for a short hike or two before the heat sets in. Saturday might have some thunderstorms though so we’ll see.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold, Crown & Anchor Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, mLife Gold
Yeah we plan on going early. My wife has lived in the PNW her entire life and can’t handle heat like I can. She’d melt in the temperatures Phoenix had recently. We were actually planning on going to Saguro and maybe Sedona another day for a short hike or two before the heat sets in. Saturday might have some thunderstorms though so we’ll see.

Those two will be good options to get out of the heat for the day and great views.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:52 pm

Just checked in here. I had to cancel My trip a month ago on the day of checkin due to a health issue which they were kind enough to do no charge. $199 rate which seems pretty good. Place is full. Had to wait a bit when I went to check in at 1. I got a Mountain View room which is better than the no upgrade last time. No standard suites available through the app so no big deal. He mentioned free parking for globalist and valet would be at the self parking rate. My rate had it anyway but that’s good for everyone else because I could’ve sworn last time they charged for parking. Free margarita from a pitcher at checkin. 4 waters in the room that they’ll replace daily with housekeeping and since the lounge is closed they had snacks and drinks behind the desk which is all free for globalist. No drink voucher like last time but I’m not drinking right now so no big deal.

Overall better than last time and for the price a pretty good deal. Still prefer the Biltmore and Boulders but not a bad backup option.

edit: I lied about the no drinks. They delivered a snack basket with two Perrier and some snacks like Doritos, granola bars, etc. The drink ticket was in that package

Last edited by sfgiants13; Aug 13, 2022 at 5:35 pm
Old Aug 13, 2022, 4:39 pm

Just checked in here. I had to cancel My trip a month ago on the day of checkin due to a health issue which they were kind enough to do no charge. $199 rate which seems pretty good. Place is full. Had to wait a bit when I went to check in at 1. I got a Mountain View room which is better than the no upgrade last time. No standard suites available through the app so no big deal. He mentioned free parking for globalist and valet would be at the self parking rate. My rate had it anyway but that’s good for everyone else because I could’ve sworn last time they charged for parking. Free margarita from a pitcher at checkin. 4 waters in the room that they’ll replace daily with housekeeping and since the lounge is closed they had snacks and drinks behind the desk which is all free for globalist. No drink voucher like last time but I’m not drinking right now so no big deal.

Overall better than last time and for the price a pretty good deal. Still prefer the Biltmore and Boulders but not a bad backup option.
Summer rates are usually pretty low here, but these days $199 is fantastic anywhere. I mean, there's a $45 resort fee, so the real nightly rate is $248, but that still isn't horrible even if it still sucks that hotels can get away with this ......... If it makes you feel even better, the standard suites here are basically just corner rooms. There's no bedroom. We used to stay here a lot (enough that when paid self parking became a thing here, it was on my profile to waive that for me without asking) and back when it was still called diamond, this was never the hotel to use a DSU at. I just checked and their summer promo rate includes parking. This place is not short on parking at all, and that's a total cash grab otherwise. The lounge here was pretty good for breakfast. I hear it's not coming back though, and I think someone here also posted the same thing, also showing that the outdoor part of the lounge had been removed entirely.

Did you eat on-site at all? How was it?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Summer rates are usually pretty low here, but these days $199 is fantastic anywhere. I mean, there's a $45 resort fee, so the real nightly rate is $248, but that still isn't horrible even if it still sucks that hotels can get away with this ......... If it makes you feel even better, the standard suites here are basically just corner rooms. There's no bedroom. We used to stay here a lot (enough that when paid self parking became a thing here, it was on my profile to waive that for me without asking) and back when it was still called diamond, this was never the hotel to use a DSU at. I just checked and their summer promo rate includes parking. This place is not short on parking at all, and that's a total cash grab otherwise. The lounge here was pretty good for breakfast. I hear it's not coming back though, and I think someone here also posted the same thing, also showing that the outdoor part of the lounge had been removed entirely.

Did you eat on-site at all? How was it?
Yeah $199 is solid. Hotel rates are through the roof everywhere this summer. I used to be able to get ~$150 at the Arizona Biltmore but it’s about double that now. Since I have no resort fee for globalist and parking is included it’s really not bad. No food on site for me. I typically don’t eat hotel food. I enjoy eating out wherever I’m at or if I’m lazy I’ll bring something back to the room. Or DoorDash it if I’ve been drinking.

Last edited by sfgiants13; Aug 13, 2022 at 5:42 pm
Old Aug 16, 2022, 3:04 am

Programs: SK Gold
Summer rates are usually pretty low here, but these days $199 is fantastic anywhere. I mean, there's a $45 resort fee, so the real nightly rate is $248, but that still isn't horrible even if it still sucks that hotels can get away with this ......... If it makes you feel even better, the standard suites here are basically just corner rooms. There's no bedroom. We used to stay here a lot (enough that when paid self parking became a thing here, it was on my profile to waive that for me without asking) and back when it was still called diamond, this was never the hotel to use a DSU at.
Which other Hyatt property in the area would you consider using a SUA at instead (if suites are available)?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Travel4Love
Which other Hyatt property in the area would you consider using a SUA at instead (if suites are available)?
Don't take any of this without verifying it since I'm relying on info that I could be wrong about. The Royal Palms may be a decent option - I believe the junior suites are still considered standard, but IIRC they have separate living and sleeping areas and it's not just a studio. However, they're not much larger than a regular room so it depends on how you want to carve up the square footage. The Andaz Scottsdale is all suites and bungalows, so maybe an option, but I've never upgraded there - worth asking the hotel if/how a suite upgrade can be used and into what. Also, not specifically using a suite upgrade since I don't even know if you can at these properties (last time I was top tier, it was still called diamond) - the Mission Palms has suites that don't cost too much more than its best standard rooms, and they're pretty large. The reason I don't think it's worth it at the gainey ranch hotel is they're just slightly larger corner rooms, and they're still kinda tired looking - if they were at least renovated and had something besides a little more square footage, it wouldn't feel like a waste to me. FWIW I won't book a palm suite with cash, either.

I have a bias, though - when I had suite upgrades, I really wanted to save them for longer trips at nicer properties. Having a suite at a regency or something wasn't that interesting, so I have no idea of those options in the area. It's part of why I don't really do hotel loyalty anymore - if the availability didn't line up, I was kind of disappointed, but I also didn't want to pay cash for a suite because "I shouldn't have to." Now I just book one when I want it and value it, and it's more or less a wash because I don't feel the need to give any brand all of my stays and save some by not doing that. But mostly, we do a lot more Airbnbs now in the Scottsdale area!
Travel4Love likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:21 am

The Fountain Court Suite is now a standard suite here.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: SK Gold
Originally Posted by bbbb
The Fountain Court Suite is now a standard suite here.
Is that considered a good or a bad thing?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:04 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I had booked 2 fountain court rooms with TSU, and we loved them. we were on the top floor, both around the corner on either side of the main court with the Saguaro cactus.
Travel4Love likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't take any of this without verifying it since I'm relying on info that I could be wrong about. The Royal Palms may be a decent option - I believe the junior suites are still considered standard, but IIRC they have separate living and sleeping areas and it's not just a studio. However, they're not much larger than a regular room so it depends on how you want to carve up the square footage. The Andaz Scottsdale is all suites and bungalows, so maybe an option, but I've never upgraded there - worth asking the hotel if/how a suite upgrade can be used and into what. Also, not specifically using a suite upgrade since I don't even know if you can at these properties (last time I was top tier, it was still called diamond) - the Mission Palms has suites that don't cost too much more than its best standard rooms, and they're pretty large. The reason I don't think it's worth it at the gainey ranch hotel is they're just slightly larger corner rooms, and they're still kinda tired looking - if they were at least renovated and had something besides a little more square footage, it wouldn't feel like a waste to me. FWIW I won't book a palm suite with cash, either.

I have a bias, though - when I had suite upgrades, I really wanted to save them for longer trips at nicer properties. Having a suite at a regency or something wasn't that interesting, so I have no idea of those options in the area. It's part of why I don't really do hotel loyalty anymore - if the availability didn't line up, I was kind of disappointed, but I also didn't want to pay cash for a suite because "I shouldn't have to." Now I just book one when I want it and value it, and it's more or less a wash because I don't feel the need to give any brand all of my stays and save some by not doing that. But mostly, we do a lot more Airbnbs now in the Scottsdale area!
In the beginning, Andaz Scottsdale only had two suites, but then they made some modifications to combine some pairs of rooms into suites.

I don't understand the "all suites and bungalows" comment. All rooms and suites are located in about thirty small and low (on floor only) buildings scattered throughout the property. If you define a bungalow to be a single family or duplex house with a particular design, there aren't any bungalows here as there aren't any buildings that contain only one or two rooms/suites, nor are there any buildings that resemble a traditional bungalow with dormer rooms upstairs in a square building with a traditional porch. [I'm having a hard time defining a bungalow precisely, but I know one when I see it.] It's certainly not an all suite property either, even though suite upgrade availability improved after the renovations.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the beginning, Andaz Scottsdale only had two suites, but then they made some modifications to combine some pairs of rooms into suites.

I don't understand the "all suites and bungalows" comment. All rooms and suites are located in about thirty small and low (on floor only) buildings scattered throughout the property. If you define a bungalow to be a single family or duplex house with a particular design, there aren't any bungalows here as there aren't any buildings that contain only one or two rooms/suites, nor are there any buildings that resemble a traditional bungalow with dormer rooms upstairs in a square building with a traditional porch. [I'm having a hard time defining a bungalow precisely, but I know one when I see it.] It's certainly not an all suite property either, even though suite upgrade availability improved after the renovations.
Ummm... I think you are overthinking "bungalow" a bit.

For what it's worth, here is the Oxford Dictionary definition:

"bungalow
orig. Anglo-Indian.Orig., a one-storied house (or temporary building, e.g. a summer-house), lightly built, usually with a thatched roof. In modern use, any one-storied house." (emphasis added)

Regards
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's certainly not an all suite property either, even though suite upgrade availability improved after the renovations.
Though there have been reports that highest upgrade at check-in at Andaz is now to the Saarinen, which is just a larger room, not a suite.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:08 pm

A true two room suite as opposed to a large room being called a suite.
Travel4Love likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.