Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Resort Fees are not waived for Diamonds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond

I have long been confused by whether or not resort fees are waived for Diamonds. The resort fees are often waived at Lake Tahoe & Kauai but rarely at Monterey. To add to the confusion, Monterey charges a resort fee when they are not even a resort! I finally asked for some clarification and here is the official Hyatt response:
Thank you for your message.
It is not a benefit of Gold Passport at any tier level have the resort fee waived. All resorts (and hotels with resort like benefits which charge resort fees) should be charging resort fees to all guests.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact our office.

Best regards,

Karen Smith
Gold Passport Concierge
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: Various
I have found that on a few occasions, the resort fee was waived but the free local calls were billed to me individually. The resort fee had free local calls as one of the benefits. I did not request to have the resort fee removed, but what brought my attention to is was the 10 local calls that I made on the bill at check out. Go figure...I went in thinking I'd be charged a resort fee and made phone calls thinking they were free only to find out that wasn't true. What to do?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:04 am

That is the answer that I would have expected. There is nothing in the Diamond T&C’s that indicated Resort Fees are waived for Diamonds, so any property that does this is just being nice.

The whole Resort Fee thing is pretty much out of control, and it seems pretty much everyone is doing it, at least in NA.

What does Monterey call their fee since they are not a Resort?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 787

They call it a resort fee! It's funny because I tried to use a FFN during the week thinking they were a resort, and I was initially turned down because you can only do mid-week FFNs at resorts.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Plt, UA 1P, SPG Plt, Hyatt Dia., HH Dia.
Originally Posted by wilma
I have long been confused by whether or not resort fees are waived for Diamonds. The resort fees are often waived at Lake Tahoe & Kauai but rarely at Monterey. To add to the confusion, Monterey charges a resort fee when they are not even a resort!
I had an award stay at Monterey in June, and they waived the resort fee for me as it was an award stay. They mentioned that had I been on a revenue stay, I would have been charged the fee. Is this the norm, (i.e. If on an award stay, the fee is waived?) or was this a hotel decision?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 11:54 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
The resort fee was waived on my award stay at Tahoe last summer, and I had the impression it was because it was an award stay rather than because I'm a Diamond, but maybe it was because of both!
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Never had to pay the resort fee at Coconut Point, Grand Champions or Grand Cypress, pretty sure about Scottsdale and Lake Las Vegas either.

Not so sure about Huntington Beach or Cambridge.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:12 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Agree with Threy...

We never see the resort fee at Bonita, or the others we stay at (Grand Cypress, Gainey Ranch). It seems we did see it once in Hawaii, but even then most were waived. I have never asked and I have just never seen it.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

I guess my point is that the official Hyatt policy is that there is no Diamond benefit that waives the resort fee. Whether or not the individual resorts decide to waive it is up to them.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:22 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Very true Wilma...

Absolutely true. We all agree it is frustrating to start... Especially if it is not even a resort.

I really feel bad for people who PAY to stay at Grand Cypress Resort. Go to the Amusement parks everyday. Never use the amazing facilities. And then get charged a resort fee!!!
Old Aug 4, 2005, 4:03 pm

The policy that has been explained to me is that if you are staying on an award, it is waived. I don't know if this is specific to diamonds or not. If you are on a paid stay, as a diamond, you can request to pay a la carte for the services (i.e. phone calls)...which is what I normally do.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, WN CP & A-List +, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by 787
Wasn't Monterey considered a resort by Hyatt last year? I see they don't list it on their list of resorts anymore, but I could have sworn they did last year. If you look on Yahoo travel, they still list it as "Hyatt Regency Resort & Conference Center, Monterey"

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-3447...rence_center-i

I had to be in Monterey for work quite extensively about this time last year. Most of the time, I just did a lot driving from the South Bay Area to Monterey and back each day. 3 times, though, I spent the night down there and stayed at the Hyatt (paid nights). The first stay, I was told by the check-in clerk, "We'll waive the resort fee for you since you're a Diamond member" The next two times, they didn't offer to waive the fee, and when I told then that my fee was waived on the first stay and what the clerk told me, they acted like I was delirious and making it up.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: HHGold; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; AA Platinum; NWA Gold
Originally Posted by subdawg
The policy that has been explained to me is that if you are staying on an award, it is waived. I don't know if this is specific to diamonds or not. If you are on a paid stay, as a diamond, you can request to pay a la carte for the services (i.e. phone calls)...which is what I normally do.

I guess waiving the resort fees for diamonds has no rules and depends only on the front desk clerk assigned on that particular day. I know that in my last stay in Hyatt Maui & Huntington I wasn't charged a resort fee, but in Kauai I was charged for the fee even if is an award stay. Also different in Hyatt Las Vegas where it was waived on award stay but got charged on a paid stay.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by thebeggar
I know that in my last stay in Hyatt Maui & Huntington I wasn't charged a resort fee, but in Kauai I was charged for the fee even if is an award stay. Also different in Hyatt Las Vegas where it was waived on award stay but got charged on a paid stay.
In Kauai, I was on an awards stay and was given the option of either the resort fee or the parking fee. I opted for the parking fee since it was less than the resort fee. I later discovered that I could have just parked on the street for free and avoid both fees.

Huntington Beach does not impose a resort fee for either awards or paid stay.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Earlier this year on a 1 paid + 1 FFN stay at Kauai, I was not charged the resort fee, nor was I charged the fee at my recent stay at Dorado Beach. But I have been charged it at Las Vegas and Huntington Beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.