Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Dorado Beach...New Rumor...Hotel to Close

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2005, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Dorado is up in arms with the rumor that Hyatt will close the hotel.

Cerromar next door has been closed for years and the rooms still stand empty.

Employees have been protesting outside the gates.

It is unclear if Hyatt plans to sell the property (Hello Starwood ??)
or if they plan to develop the land with Ocean front homes and Condos.

Any one in Puerto Rico with information to add ??
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:13 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
We split a week between these two properties several years ago, and they were both POS's back then. Glad to see them close. Good riddance.

Originally Posted by 747
Dorado is up in arms with the rumor that Hyatt will close the hotel.

Cerromar next door has been closed for years and the rooms still stand empty.

Employees have been protesting outside the gates.

It is unclear if Hyatt plans to sell the property (Hello Starwood ??)
or if they plan to develop the land with Ocean front homes and Condos.

Any one in Puerto Rico with information to add ??
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:58 pm

I'm not sure where you are getting this information. I am unable to find anything published - factual or rumor - that suggests this, and Hyatt is continuing to accept reservations for the full booking window of a year.

Having said that, I certainly think the Dorado property is underutilized, and they certainly could be successful developing the property more fully, whether with additional homes, condos, timeshares, a larger hotel, etc.

The Dorado Beach name has a lot of value. I don't see them shuttering the hotel. Even if they wanted to develop the land, the hotel name adds value.

And I had a wonderful stay there last February. A very pleasant surprise actually!
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, 1MM, SPG Plat
I hope not!!This is one of our favorite caribbean beach properties. The beach is one of the best!! I understand the golf is great too! It could really use a shot in the arm in the service areas though...
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Nothing announced yet from Hyatt Officials but the talk around the Hotel is that Starwood would be the buyer and would shut it down in September to begin a renovation.

If the hotel is closed for six months or more than by law the owner can hire all new employees.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:30 pm

Well sometimes rumours are true, but this is all quite questionable. The existing owner (which is not Hyatt - Hyatt simply has the management contract) is going to sell the property to Starwood. Although the owner and Hyatt have nothing official to say, the rank and file employees nonetheless know all about the sale, and the plans to shutter the hotel, information they found out how?!

Of course you have made me anxious enough to book a back-up hotel for my Feburary stay, although I certainly hope there is no need to use it.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Have reservations at the Dorado in October.
What would happen to my reservation if Dorado were to be acquired by Starwood and shut down for renovations?
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:36 pm

I've only had it happen in areas where the chain had other locations. For example, I had a reservation at Marriott's Mountain Shadows resort in Scottsdale. They announced that it would close, and called me to offer me the ability to stay at another Marriott hotel in the area at the same rate. Of course I asked to be booked at Camelback (a 5 star resort) but they said that was not an option - and the best that was offered up was a Renaisance which was a bit pricier than the original hotel.

In P.R. not only are there no other Hyatts (unless they can squeeze you in to the time share at Cerromar), there are not really any other nearby hotels other than an Embassy Suites, and nothing nearby that is comparable. I suspect they would not have much to offer you. I've booked a back-up reservation at the Ritz for my February stay just in case, although I much prefer to be at Dorado.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, Continental Silver
Over a week ago, I called Platinum Customer Service to ask about the sale rumor and was told it was not true. I was asked where I heard about the possible sale, and mentioned this bulletin board. An official response was to be posted here, but it still has not appeared. Does anyone have any info? I have October reservations, so I am a bit concerned.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:31 pm

Is there any more information or news about this? We are considering booking at the Hyatt Dorado in early December and are concerned. Should we book elsewhere?
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, Continental Silver
Here is the response I received from Karen:

Re: Hyatt Dorado sale rumor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Judyfromct,

Thank you for your message.

We are happy to report that at this time there are no plans for Hyatt to cease management of the Hyatt Regency Dorado Beach Resort.
I have not been given any specific information to post on FlyerTalk or in any other forum.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Karen Smith
Gold Passport Concierge
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:39 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Whew! what a relief, I've got a res for next weekend, and while I figured it would still be open at that time, if the rumors were true, I imagine it would have a negative affect on staff, service etc.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Some sort of announcement is expected today.

Web Site not accepting reservations for June 1st on.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:12 am

My guess is it is change of management companies and not a closing of the hotel. If you try to book for any period after June 1, it shows as sold out, but if you put in May 31 check in for 30 days, checking out June 30 it shows availability. So this suggests to me that hotel is not closing, but rather Hyatt is going to be out as manager, and is not authorized to accept bookings for periods starting after May 31.

Of course a new management company may be part of some grander project - one of the attractions of the property is that it is so underutilized, and could easily support many more hotel rooms than exist.

What a mess for those at the timeshares on the Cerromar property. I hate to do too much speculating, but this raises all kinds of issues with regard to what Dorodo guests and Cerromar timeshare guests get to use at the other properties, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

It is now official....this note was slipped under each guest's door;

"March 21, 2006

Dear Hyatt Guest:

It is with great sorrow that we announce that after 48 years of continuous service to international and local tourists, The Hyatt Dorado Beach Resort & Country Club will be closing on May 31, 2006."

A sad day for Puerto Rico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.