Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Club Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2005, 7:00 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Thumbs down

Mark has been gone for more than a year! I heard that a diamond complained about him, I can't remember what but something stupid, and so he was fired.

Too bad! He was one of Hyatt's best concierges.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by RayinMaui
Mark has been gone for more than a year! I heard that a diamond complained about him, I can't remember what but something stupid, and so he was fired.

Then he's working for free as I saw him every day during our January trip & my husband was served by him a couple of nights ago...
Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond

I too saw him in January and he is great as ever!
Old Apr 17, 2005, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Oneworld_Flyer
Regency Clubs all provide a Snack (and many) an apertif service, and is all inclusive. Tip as you may a server elsewhere; should the service warrant it then by all means. Also consider the particular location (USA- tipping encouraged, Australia - less so.)

It's unlikely full meals will be served, though some clubs can have meals from the restaurant served in the lounge. If the Hyatt in question is either the Churchill in London or Grand Hyatt NY, such a service has been afforded until at least the previous month.
they are still taking orders (at least for b/fast from downstairs) at the Churchill in London.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:11 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Agreed that Micheline and others at Waikiki were excellent. I am not sure about the etiquette to tip RC staff or front desk staff so have instead given Belgium or other nice chocolates for holidays or when excellent service have been given. I think I gifted Micheline with the lei and some wine when I left.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 9:39 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
Originally Posted by bbbb
The staff in the club at Waikiki are great but Wanette in the Maui RC is the best. She goes out of her way to do special things for us before and during are stays. ^
Although HR Maui is my favorite hotel, I am continuously disappointed with the RC staff. One incident in particular I remember is their refusal to pour a glass of champagne because the club closed at 7 PM. Well, it was 6:50, and we had to call the front desk to help the RC staff tell time.

I have always found the staff here to be disengaged, unless you are one of their "old buddies." They seem to build close friendships with many repeat guests, which I have no problem with. I do have a problem when I can't get service because they are sitting and chatting with their old pals. It is very unprofessional, and reminiscient of a high school clique.

Of course there are exceptions. One notable exception to this poor standard in my recollection was Ray, who transferred to Anaheim several years ago.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Tips are not necessary. Only waiters and bartenders in the US receive sub-minimum-wage pay. Gratuities for truly over-the-top service are a nice gesture. Otherwise, no tipping.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 3:11 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Tips are not necessary. Only waiters and bartenders in the US receive sub-minimum-wage pay. Gratuities for truly over-the-top service are a nice gesture. Otherwise, no tipping.
Full ACK !
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I fully agree. RC comes at a premium, and the food is supposed to be included in this price. The service should also be included. There have been very few times that I have been impressed with the actual "service" at RC's other than some friendly conversation. I have tipped generously when service has been provided.

Are we also supposed to tip the staff that fill the pretzel bowl at the Red Carpet Club?
Old Apr 19, 2005, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by divaof travel
Are we also supposed to tip the staff that fill the pretzel bowl at the Red Carpet Club?
Well no, but I and most others seem to tip the bartenders for the free beverages, and the overpriced adult beverages in the RCC.

I don’t tip normally in the RC, but when I feel the service justifies a gratuity I do leave a tip. An example would be a couple of months ago at Lake Las Vegas. We were in the RC and my wife was asking for some sort of martini which the person working was only to happy to make. I would not have left a tip if this was a self service setup, but since they bring the drinks out to your table a case by case basis I thought it appropriate, and so did most the other guests. I also believe tipping concierges is a fairly standard practice if they are doing something ‘extra’ for you.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold

I think you are confusing Mark with Michael. Michael was head concierge for many years and was let go last year. Mark and Cary are the only 'old timers' left in the evenings and Micheline in the AM.

I think the level of service provided by the RC staff in Waikiki is exceptional too! They makes the hotel what it is! They always keep the glasses filled and do what they can for the RC guests. It has been like family in Hawaii over the last several years.

Speaking of RC Etiquette, I think that dress code and behavior should also be addressed. Coming to cocktails in the beach wear you wore at breakfast and a tanktop with the sweat of the day is NOT proper attire for the evening.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by PSGlenn
..Speaking of RC Etiquette, I think that dress code and behavior should also be addressed. Coming to cocktails in the beach wear you wore at breakfast and a tanktop with the sweat of the day is NOT proper attire for the evening.
Even more disturbing to me are the guests who come to pick up some breakfast in their bathrobes.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by divaof travel
Even more disturbing to me are the guests who come to pick up some breakfast in their bathrobes.
Hope I never see that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.