Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt properties in the US without shower curtains

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt properties in the US without shower curtains

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2024, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by goodgirl
I have cancelled 20 upcoming nights at Hyatt Regency Austin because of the tub / curtain setup and several pubic hair in and around the tub upon arrival.
How do you know it was pubic hair?
Old Jun 11, 2024, 2:59 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
While I am not as bothered by these as the OP, I do tend to agree that these things have no business being in 4 and 5 star hotels.
A non-moveable shower head is what I expect in the locker room of a budget fitness centre, not a place where I actually expect to be able to thoroughly clean myself.
When visiting the states, I always check the bathroom photos to avoid those hotels when possible. Unfortunately though, they are very difficult to avoid in America.
goodgirl likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 3:33 pm

Unfortunately, hand showers are still exceedingly rare in all but the newest high end hotels in the USA and CA. About the only time you will consistently see one is if booking ADA rooms. I agree that it is disgusting, and I have no idea how anyone lives without bidets and hand showers. Curtains are equally ubiquitous whenever you encounter an hotel with a combination bath/shower, which includes just about all of the older legacy-branded hotels in North America. Generally, the curtains are fairly clean, as they all have the same design with the removable liners. The alternative is shower-only rooms where the floor will get soaked every time you think about taking a shower. Finding stray pubic hairs can happen in any hotel on earth, and has nothing to do with the fixtures.
goodgirl likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2024, 11:38 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
This thread is just gross.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, CX Silver, OW Ruby, Travala Smart Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
While I am not as bothered by these as the OP, I do tend to agree that these things have no business being in 4 and 5 star hotels.
A non-moveable shower head is what I expect in the locker room of a budget fitness centre, not a place where I actually expect to be able to thoroughly clean myself.
When visiting the states, I always check the bathroom photos to avoid those hotels when possible. Unfortunately though, they are very difficult to avoid in America.
Cleaning oneself is one thing. I can't imagine how housekeeping are able to properly and thoroughly clean the entire shower / tub and walls if they have no hand shower to rinse everywhere. The fixed shower head can't reach most surfaces. That's probably why I also found hair stuck to the wall amongst the other hair inside the tub. It would take more time than what I imagine they have available for each room to take a cloth and bucket or whatever else they would need to use and wipe and rinse all the areas the fixed shower head can not reach. Next time I am in the US and end up in one of those rooms I will try to watch how that cleaning happens if I get a chance.
Old Jun 13, 2024, 1:39 pm

It is cute that you think housekeeping cleans the shower.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 5:10 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by goodgirl
Cleaning oneself is one thing. I can't imagine how housekeeping are able to properly and thoroughly clean the entire shower / tub and walls if they have no hand shower to rinse everywhere. The fixed shower head can't reach most surfaces. That's probably why I also found hair stuck to the wall amongst the other hair inside the tub. It would take more time than what I imagine they have available for each room to take a cloth and bucket or whatever else they would need to use and wipe and rinse all the areas the fixed shower head can not reach. Next time I am in the US and end up in one of those rooms I will try to watch how that cleaning happens if I get a chance.
Please don't stand over housekeeping - they will be creeped out. If you find a cleanliness issue, report it and ask for resolution.
Old Jun 14, 2024, 9:28 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
I've also found that some hotels tend to keep them in rooms with 2 Queen Beds since those rooms will be booked for families and children.
This- particularly with select service properties (across all chains), the prototype is frequently walk in showers for 1 King Rooms and bathtubs (with curtains) for 2 Queen rooms. It’s hard to bathe a toddler in a walk in shower!
JIMCHI likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2024, 8:34 am

Programs: UR, AMEX, Hyatt, Wyndham, Hilton, Amtrak, Star Alliance, Flying Blue
Add Hyatt Place White House (Washington DC) to this list
Old Jun 15, 2024, 10:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Although not Hyatt related,
one can get an idea what type of shower curtains are used in the industry
https://www.hiltontohome.com/category.aspx?shower
Old Jun 16, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
What don't I like about the handhelds? Usually too low and can't be raised much, the hose kinks and you end up spraying the wall or the curtain rather than yourself, and the adjusting clamps never hold tight. You get it where you want and within seconds it is drooping and spraying the front wall. I'll take a good, fixed showerhead out of the wall with good velocity that stays put. I can maneuver under that.

But either is preferable to the rainshower heads coming out of the ceiling and just kind of dripping straight down. Glad that fad faded but they have not all been replaced.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 19, 2024 at 10:48 am
Old Jun 16, 2024, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Hyatt House Hartford North/Windsor has shower booths in the King studio suite.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The majority I've stayed in do not have shower curtains. Those that do are Hyatt Places.
Old Jun 17, 2024, 11:07 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Until 2015 or so in the US, having a hotel room with only a shower was often a sign of a lower end property and was considered a negative. Same thing with sliding bathroom doors. Now both are common in new build hotels of all star levels. Handheld showerheads are still rare outside of high end properties or ADA rooms, though many higher end properties go for multiple showerheads, especially ones which simulate rainfall.
Old Jun 18, 2024, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
First of all, many ADA rooms have shower curtains, especially those that are described as having a walk in or roll in shower.

Secondly, not all shower curtains are equivalent. The old rubber/plastic ones (think especially of the thick opaque ones) can easily become disgusting with mold and mildew. However, many newer/upscale hotels have shower curtains composed of two fabric layers, with only the inner one supposed to be placed inside the bathtub. These can be laundered so as to be sanitary and AFAIK are laundered between guests. I don't consider them to be problematic.

BTW, if anyone has seem the clear plastic shower curtain liners, they can be washed in cold water with detergent in a washing machine with some towels and then either hung to dry or dried in a clothes dryer with some dry towels on the no heat setting. I've done it when living in an apartment with a combination bath/shower and a shower curtain rod rather than sliding glass doors attached to the top rim of the bathtub.
travelingdrsuz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.