Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Do I have a case for compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver

Curious everyone thoughts for compensation. Had 2 rooms booked for 3 nights at Hyatt House Nashville all on award points for my wife and I and my 2 young kids and wife’s 80 year old parents in tow. First night arrival, they let me know no hot water due to water main break and it should be fixed by mid morning the next day. Wanted a hot shower but ok willing to accept this.

Second day they couldn’t fix it and fire alarm went off twice and both times had to walk down flight of stairs with kids and grandparents in tow 4 flights of stairs. Finally at 4pm, they made decision to move everyone to another hotel. Rather than wait for the front desk to move over 100 guests, I proactively booked 2 rooms at Grand Hyatt Nashville for the next 2 nights as they told us it would take a few hours.

Took 3 weeks to get all my points back finally. No compensation or courtesy points. I was hoping they would at least send me some points for all the inconvenience. Thinking at least maybe the point difference that I had to pay to upgrade to the grand Hyatt which was 10k per night per room for a total of 40k. Do you think I am asking too much? Getting no where with assistant GM. Should I escalate to Hyatt corporate or Twitter page?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Curious everyone thoughts for compensation. Had 2 rooms booked for 3 nights at Hyatt House Nashville all on award points for my wife and I and my 2 young kids and wife’s 80 year old parents in tow. First night arrival, they let me know no hot water due to water main break and it should be fixed by mid morning the next day. Wanted a hot shower but ok willing to accept this.

Second day they couldn’t fix it and fire alarm went off twice and both times had to walk down flight of stairs with kids and grandparents in tow 4 flights of stairs. Finally at 4pm, they made decision to move everyone to another hotel. Rather than wait for the front desk to move over 100 guests, I proactively booked 2 rooms at Grand Hyatt Nashville for the next 2 nights as they told us it would take a few hours.

Took 3 weeks to get all my points back finally. No compensation or courtesy points. I was hoping they would at least send me some points for all the inconvenience. Thinking at least maybe the point difference that I had to pay to upgrade to the grand Hyatt which was 10k per night per room for a total of 40k. Do you think I am asking too much? Getting no where with assistant GM. Should I escalate to Hyatt corporate or Twitter page?
Yes, you deserve compensation, no question. I would expect them to pay for your stay at the GH Nashville (or some sort of significant inroads towards that stay). Have you spoken to the HH manager? If you have with no luck, I'd go to Hyatt corporate.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
Yes, you deserve compensation, no question. I would expect them to pay for your stay at the GH Nashville (or some sort of significant inroads towards that stay). Have you spoken to the HH manager? If you have with no luck, I'd go to Hyatt corporate.
So far, no compensation. I have had multiple emails back and forth with Assistant GM just trying to get my points back. Finally got all my points back but I have added notes about compensation and have been ignored every time. Wondering if I should try GM or go directly to Hyatt corporate. Would [email protected] be the email to use next.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:14 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
So far, no compensation. I have had multiple emails back and forth with Assistant GM just trying to get my points back. Finally got all my points back but I have added notes about compensation and have been ignored every time. Wondering if I should try GM or go directly to Hyatt corporate. Would [email protected] be the email to use next.
Agree, you ought to be compensated with at least the points difference to the GH plus something like 10k I'd say (I'd be happy with that).
the e-mail is correct, yes.

Good luck and keep us posted
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

I would’ve called Hyatt while on property let them know of the situation and see if they could move you without having to wait several hours. If you’re booking something out of pocket without confirmation that it’s acceptable then that’s on you sadly.

Many credit cards offer “Trip disruption reimbursement” for situations like this maybe you can try with them.

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Agree, you ought to be compensated with at least the points difference to the GH plus something like 10k I'd say (I'd be happy with that).
the e-mail is correct, yes.

Good luck and keep us posted
I’d have to disagree -

The Hyatt House booked was a Category 4. If you booked on points which OP did, they’ll try to move you to the closest to the originally booked property.

The Grand Hyatt is a 2 Category difference, not to mention it’s a Full Service vs. the Hyatt House which is a limited service brand.

In Nashville Downtown where OP was staying there’s the -

Hyatt Place

Hyatt Centric

Holston House (Unbound)

All of which are Category 5 properties and nearby. I think any of these 3 would’ve been approved and should receive reimbursement as there are no other nearby Category 4’s. In this situation I just don’t see it as reasonable and that’s likely why it’s being ignored by the hotel.

However, for the trip disruption I do believe 10k is fair and would reach out to the email you listed in your original post.
skydelt likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:11 am

I got the very same issue at Hyatt Regency in Amsterdam one week ago. No hot water at all during a one-night stay. The issue had been ongoing for several hours when I checked in at 02 PM but the front desk attendant did not inform me. I called the front desk 4 times during my stay and they kept telling me it would be fixed within a few hours -- it was never fixed.

When checking out, Opera was down and they could not process payment so they sent me to the Club with the GM to apologize. I received the invoice by email a few minutes later showing they had charged the full room amount without any compensation. I then talked with the FO manager and he reluctantly agreed to 10k compensation.

I did not push it further but to me, the only fair compensation is to fully waive the night. It's exactly the same case as overbooking, you pay for a room that the hotel is unable to deliver on.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:25 am

Unless the hotel told you to proactively book something else I dont think you should get compensated for the difference. Also you did sleep there one night for free so you did get some sort of compensation....
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
YMMV - who cares what anyone on this board thinks. If you feel like you are owed compensation, you should ask for it. I will say as a LTG, Hyatt has gone very far out of their way to make things right when situations go bad so it’s worth asking. Worst case, they say no and you lose nothing. Good luck
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by ronbo83
YMMV - who cares what anyone on this board thinks. If you feel like you are owed compensation, you should ask for it. I will say as a LTG, Hyatt has gone very far out of their way to make things right when situations go bad so it’s worth asking. Worst case, they say no and you lose nothing. Good luck
Must be different policies for LTG’s…

Heres’ a situation that happened for me with the wife and two kids.

We booked a room at a Hyatt, then applied a SUA 3 months in advance. Showed up to the property to check in and was told they had sold our suite to another guest. They then placed us in a base room with the guests in the next room playing loud music and smoking marijuana all through the night. After night 1 we were moved to another base room, where the lock on the front door was completely broken and even with a small push could be opened by anyone. We were moved to a 3rd base room which was okay, but still not the suite we booked.

We had booked a 5 night stay.

After complaining to both the hotel and Hyatt, Hyatt said they’d forward it to the hotel’s GM.

We went back and forth with the hotel’s GM for a month to get compensation and never received our Suite Award back.

This was a Category 1 so the difference per night from base room to the suite booked was 3,000 points per night. After a month we finally received 15k points basically in exchange for our Suite Award that we never received back. We never got a suite during our stay, lost our SUA, and didn’t really get any compensation for the plethora of issues we experienced.

So I wouldn’t say they go above and beyond at all. Initially the hotel only wanted to offer 500 points, total. It took a significant amount of pushback and a month’s time to get the 15k points.

If we got the 15k points and the Suite Award back then sure it would’ve been a fair resolution, but that definitely wasn’t the case.

I’m a Globalist if that matters.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:51 pm

Points received back

You mentioned that you received points back. Was this for the remainder of your stay after you left of for your full stay. It wasnt clear.

As far as getting HH to cover the difference you took things upon yourself versus notifying SRO or globalist line (if you're Glob) of your situation to rectify your experience midstay.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's responses. Interesting take from everyone. I also posted on Hyatt facebook group and there was globalist who was there for one night stay and also proactively booked Grand Hyatt on their own. They received 15k courtesy points from their concierge. I am explorist so do not have concierge but i feel 15k is fair compensation for the disruption. A few things. Grand Hyatt was definitely an upgrade from the Hyatt House so not expecting full compensation back but I did tell the GM of Hyatt House before I left that I made my own reservation. The only options he offered was a Holiday Inn or Hyatt Place but he could not tell me which hotel had room or how long it would take to secure a room. He seemed relieved because it saved him and his office staff one step from finding and moving 2 rooms on his end.

I did get all of my points back, so technically Sunday night was "free" and reimbursed for the other 2 nights we did not stay. I still think 15k is fair compensation which is equivalent of one night stay at the Hyatt House for everything that went wrong (no hot water day of check in, no running water the next day while they tried to fix the problem (including no flushing of toilets or water and 2 fire alarms). I should have moved right away upon check in but we arrived late and my family was tired!
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I think the compensation should be what you were entitled to if you were walked (I.e I’ve booked).

I don’t know if that’s the point difference for the first night or the stay, I expect the former. That’s on top of the return of points for the night you were there.

Everytome I’ve had the issue of no hot water (3 or 4 in 30 years ), the night was comped. Same thing should apply if there isn’t a functioning toilet or bed.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I think the compensation should be what you were entitled to if you were walked (I.e I’ve booked).

I don’t know if that’s the point difference for the first night or the stay, I expect the former. That’s on top of the return of points for the night you were there.

Everytome I’ve had the issue of no hot water (3 or 4 in 30 years ), the night was comped. Same thing should apply if there isn’t a functioning toilet or bed.
I mean technically they got comped 15k points as the first night they stayed was refunded in addition to the other nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.