Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Deer Valley REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2023, 11:35 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Creating a dedicated thread for the upcoming Grand Hyatt Deer Valley in Park City, Utah now that the property page is online at the attached link. As per the property announcement, this one will open in late 2024 with 387 guest rooms (including 40 suites and 55 private residences), 38,900 square feet of indoor event space, including a 10,000 square foot grand ballroom, multiple dining options including an après ski bar and grill, signature bar and restaurant and coffee bistro, as well as an expansive outdoor event terrace with panoramic mountain views, a heated year-round pool and whirlpool, and fitness center.

On a side note, this website appears to be the first of a brand standard redesign for Grand Hyatt properties, the same way that Thompson and Andaz have switched over to more colorful and dynamic websites.

khabah
Old Dec 3, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Saw this when we were at the St. Regis last ski season, it was under construction. Well, assuming I saw the correct construction site, which was off the main highway. It was part of what looked like a larger development project. And based on the address listed on the GH Deer Valley website, I think its where I saw all the work going on.

Unless they are building a ski lift / gondola (which I have to assume at some point they will)... its pretty far away.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by rajuabju
…Unless they are building a ski lift / gondola (which I have to assume at some point they will)... its pretty far away.
From the second “announcement” link in the OP: “… The hotel will be part of the planned expansion of Deer Valley Resort that will more than double the resort’s skiable terrain and feature 16 new ski lifts and a state-of-the-art 10-passenger gondola; …”

Hope they get some of the new lifts completed by the time this new hotel opens . Considering an Active or Retired Military Epic Pass is one of, if not THE, best corporate military benefits ever, hope Hope Deer Valley joins Epic Pass (or at least initiates a generous military discount ).
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure they'll have a lift before long. I think the days of building a new modestly high-end resort that isn't ski-in/ski-out are over.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Hope they get some of the new lifts completed by the time this new hotel opens . Considering an Active or Retired Military Epic Pass is one of, if not THE, best corporate military benefits ever, hope Hope Deer Valley joins Epic Pass (or at least initiates a generous military discount ).

Deer Valley is owned by Alterra Mountain Co. This is also the company that owns the Ikon Pass, the direct rival of Epic Pass. unless there is some crazy merger, It's extremely unlikely that an Epic pass holder will have access to Deer Valley any time soon.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:00 pm

From the second “announcement” link in the OP: “… The hotel will be part of the planned expansion of Deer Valley Resort that will more than double the resort’s skiable terrain and feature 16 new ski lifts and a state-of-the-art 10-passenger gondola; …”

The Mayflower expansion was built by the states Military installation development authority and it sounds like the new Grand Hyatt will have discounts for military and veterans, my speculation is that part of giving that terrain to Deer Valley includes some sort of discount on the pricey DV ticket. I believe it will be a 10 person Gondola serving the new base area where the Grand Hyatt will be located. https://www.kpcw.org/park-city/2023-...yflower-resort
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by pantsparty
Deer Valley is owned by Alterra Mountain Co. This is also the company that owns the Ikon Pass, the direct rival of Epic Pass. unless there is some crazy merger, It's extremely unlikely that an Epic pass holder will have access to Deer Valley any time soon.
Yeah, probably correct (unfortunately). Although if there was a crazy merger we could imagine Deer Valley and Park City/Canyons as one continuous ski area which might rival the largest European areas.

Originally Posted by Skoolz60
The Mayflower expansion was built by the states Military installation development authority and it sounds like the new Grand Hyatt will have discounts for military and veterans, my speculation is that part of giving that terrain to Deer Valley includes some sort of discount on the pricey DV ticket. …
Thank you, I never before heard of MIDA, hope you’re correct.

Again from the second “announcement” link in the OP: “… Expected to open in time for the 2024/2025 ski season, Grand Hyatt Deer Valley … The hotel will be part of the planned expansion … and feature 16 new ski lifts and a state-of-the-art 10-passenger gondola; …”

Reads like the hotel will open before the expansion is complete, can’t imagine 16 new lifts THAT quickly, most resorts are ecstatic about 1 new lift during an off-season.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Yeah, probably correct (unfortunately). Although if there was a crazy merger we could imagine Deer Valley and Park City/Canyons as one continuous ski area which might rival the largest European areas.
The ski resorts are already adjacent and basically connected. But the reason they wouldn’t be one resort is that people who ski DV don’t want to be associated with PC. Some people want exclusivity. Others want skiers only. Very different vibes.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by SP03
The ski resorts are already adjacent and basically connected. ….
Not really “connected”, cannot “legally” ski back and forth between the 2.

…. Very different vibes.
The “very different vibes” of the 2 resorts are very well documented and discussion of the whys and hows is well beyond this forum. Suffice it to say that many who ski PC similarly don’t want to be associated with DV.

… the reason they wouldn’t be one resort ….
The reason they wouldn’t be one resort is because one or both owners have decided they can make more money separately.

DV has always been a relatively smaller “niche” resort. It’s entirely possible that with completion of this this planned expansion, and the accompanying economic need to expand their numbers presumably through expanded customer base, they may find that there are not enough exclusivity skiers and/or they cannot raise prices any further, thus mandating allowing boarders and/or welcoming a crazy merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.