Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel canceled reservation due to event buy-out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2023, 4:55 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold

I’ve had a 3-night reservation booked for the last 5-6 months at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego for January. I received the following email today:

Greetings from Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego,This email is regarding reservations scheduled to arrive at the end of January assoicated with this email address . We are reaching out to inform you that during the dates of your reservation due to unforeseen events and error on behalf of the hotel unavailable room inventory was made available.

Rooms were never to be made available for booking as all inventory is committed and contracted to the large event NMHC. For this reason your reservations at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego will be cancelled at this time.

We truly apologize and understand this is not an easy situation.
I don’t want to be moved to the Andaz, and I feel there’s a close to zero chance of being accommodated at the GH. What could I expect as compensation? Points? Anything else? If points, what would be a reasonable amount to expect?
Old Nov 22, 2023, 5:00 pm

With this property's new ownership I think you may find yourself getting nothing from them.
ORDnHKG, dpb132, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 5:08 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

The funny thing is that I can still book a room under the guaranteed availability rate. So I’m being punished for booking ahead at $700/night (lol) rather than booking late for $1000/night
FMDXR likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
The funny thing is that I can still book a room under the guaranteed availability rate. So I’m being punished for booking ahead at $700/night (lol) rather than booking late for $1000/night
You might still get a nasty surprise. Hotels can put in blackout dates and used to be able go cite (maybe still can) "extraordinary demand" to deny the guaranteed availability.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I’ve had a 3-night reservation booked for the last I don’t want to be moved to the Andaz, and I feel there’s a close to zero chance of being accommodated at the GH. What could I expect as compensation? Points? Anything else? If points, what would be a reasonable amount to expect?
Why are you expecting being compensated ? You didn't show up and being walked, but instead they cancel the reservation 2 months in advance

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 22, 2023 at 8:27 pm
Old Nov 22, 2023, 8:22 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Why are you expecting being compensated ? You didn't show up and being walked, but I instead they cancel the reservation 2 months in advance
Mostly because it’s bad form on the part of the hotel. Particularly to do that to a Globalist who had booked an already absurdly expensive rate.

They knew of the buy-out back when I made the reservation. If they had canceled shortly after I’d booked, then I could simply rebook at a neighboring hotel for a reasonable rate. Now rates are significantly more expensive everywhere else.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 9:43 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Why are you expecting being compensated ? You didn't show up and being walked, but instead they cancel the reservation 2 months in advance
Why are you defending the hotel’s incredibly customer unfriendly policies? The hotel screwed up and offered OP a room and later reneged on that with nothing but a meaningless email “apology”. Anyone but a corporate shill should find that troublesome.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 10:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Isn’t January low season in SD? I have two stays booked at Manchester in mid-January both are off peak…

I don’t see any reason someone would pay $700+ a night.

I would not agree to move to the Andaz for $700 a night either as neither property is even worth that. I’d contact Hyatt Corporate in hopes of at least one night’s points cost as compensation (15k) then book at one of the other great Gaslamp properties by Hilton/Marriott.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 10:09 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Isn’t January low season in SD? I have two stays booked at Manchester in mid-January both are off peak…

I don’t see any reason someone would pay $700+ a night.

I would not agree to move to the Andaz for $700 a night either as neither property is even worth that. I’d contact Hyatt Corporate in hopes of at least one night’s points cost as compensation (15k) then book at one of the other great Gaslamp properties by Hilton/Marriott.
Yes, it is generally low season. However, that week is a large real estate conference that takes over several hotels, including the GH. Agree that the hotel is not worth $700. It’s hardly worth $300 in my eyes. But to be in the conference hotel is very convenient. That being said, I’d be happy to sacrifice the convenience if they threw a bunch of points my way.

I pretty forcefully responded to the email with my globalist concierge on copy. I’ll see if that gets me anywhere…
Old Nov 22, 2023, 10:30 pm

Yes, it is generally low season. However, that week is a large real estate conference that takes over several hotels, including the GH. Agree that the hotel is not worth $700. It’s hardly worth $300 in my eyes. But to be in the conference hotel is very convenient. That being said, I’d be happy to sacrifice the convenience if they threw a bunch of points my way.

I pretty forcefully responded to the email with my globalist concierge on copy. I’ll see if that gets me anywhere…
You didn’t do anything wrong, it’s just a crappy situation.

As I said I would be hopeful that between Hyatt, MHC and Hyatt Corporate to get at least the cost of 1 night in compensation in points.
peter42, moondog and GrayAnderson like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
I’m a Marriott Lifetime Titanium refugee and Hyatt Globalist.

This is a total F U from this property, and, by extension, Hyatt.

You need to push Hyatt hard on this one.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Contact World of Hyatt and expect to receive some points as compensation. Perhaps enough for a free night at this hotel.

"I don't want the Andaz" isn't a great start, though, if you actually need a room and want Hyatt to get you one. Forget about the GH...
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I don’t want to be moved to the Andaz
Why? The Andaz whomps ... over the Manchester.

O/H
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard

O/H
Even if the Andaz was cheaper I wouldn’t stay there over Manchester.

The Andaz doesn’t compare at all!

First it’s one of the worst Andaz properties, if you’ve stayed at Andaz Papagayo or Andaz Mayakoba you’d say it’s absolute trash in comparison while trying to charge the same price!

Second there’s a homeless encampment basically right near the main entrance. Doesn’t exactly scream luxury.

Third parking is a nightmare even their valet has terrible service.

Fourth you hear music so loud even until 3am, it’s so bad that they literally give you earplugs so you can hopefully try to sleep.

Fifth its way overpriced at a Cat 5. Being in a same Category as a luxury resort like Andaz Papagayo it’s absurd for Andaz SD.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
I'm with OP. Andaz is totally off my list. Great place to stay if your gameplan is to get so stumbling drunk in the Gas Lamp that you don't mind the homeless or the traffic noise, otherwise that property is a huge "no thank you."

Also not very convenient if you're attending an event at the convention center, which it sounds like OP is doing.
Matt4200 and Warriorconcept like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.