Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Capitol Peak Lodge, A Destination by Hyatt Residence REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:42 am
Original Poster

We have stayed at the Capital Peak Lodge in Snowmass Village twice now over extended periods. Once in a one bedroom and just recently in a two bedroom unit. While there are a few quirks checking in, like check-in which is done at the Stonebridge Inn up the road or figuring out the parking space, this property by far has the best location in Snowmass Village. The building is literally right across from the Elk Camp gondola. Aside from that the units, while not 5 stars, are in really nice shape and the building in general is well maintained. You essentially stay in someone's condo that is booked through the Hyatt app. Out of all the Destinations properties in Snowmass (I believe there are 6 that they run) The Capital Peak Lodge is the best followed by Woodrun Place which does not have anywhere near the prime location of Capital Peak. Also keep in mind that if your traveling to Snowmass in the summer most of the Destinations properties do not have AC. The Capital Peak Lodge does. Below are some photos from both trips, we really love staying here during our visits to Snowmass...

Last edited by Tonyr4; Aug 12, 2023 at 6:03 am
Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:36 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Nice review. I will agree with your assessment about the location. However, the Base Village area is still a ghost town with few amenities within walking distance. Hopefully that will change as the real estate offices leave for more useful retail.
I will defend Woodrun Place as being more accessible to Snowmass Mall and for Thursday night Summer concerts on Fanny Hill. Units there have reserved parking and separate entrances.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
Nice review. I will agree with your assessment about the location. However, the Base Village area is still a ghost town with few amenities within walking distance. Hopefully that will change as the real estate offices leave for more useful retail.
I will defend Woodrun Place as being more accessible to Snowmass Mall and for Thursday night Summer concerts on Fanny Hill. Units there have reserved parking and separate entrances.
Thanks! I just spent a month in the village area, it's definitely more lively than when i visited the last time. Aside from events the village area had each weekend, there are 3 or 4 solid restaurants plus your only a 2 minute walk from the Village gondola while staying at Capital Peak. Location wise, it is night and day better than Woodrun even getting to the mall.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the review - nice to get more info on the Hyatt properties in Aspen/Snowmass.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 5:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Just to be sure. There is no snow today, right ?
edit. Of course not.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
Just to be sure. There is no snow today, right ?
edit. Of course not.
Actually, if you were willing to hike backcountry, you could have skied in July out there. No thanks on that though!
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Thanks for the review - nice to get more info on the Hyatt properties in Aspen/Snowmass.
My pleasure, I'll do one on Woodrun Place too when I have some more time.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:54 pm

Was this an award booking? Looking to do an award booking but the “1 night charged to CC, non-refundable deposit” makes me a little nervous about having to pay 1 night cash plus the points cost, or at a minimum having to deal with the headache of getting that money refunded.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I understand the reluctance on the part of the cancellation policy. It angers me as a consumer but I understand as an owner. And these are mostly if not all owned by individuals and managed by Destination. Aka Hyatt. Hyatt is amazing that you can reserve 13ish months in advance but I would be hesitant unless I had a clear path to be there at a specific time as commercial flights open up two months after that. But then I probably am in the minority as I don’t own or have access to non commercial plane travel. Jealous but super cheap. Haha.

Our family has stayed on points at nearly every Destination property in Snowmass over the last few years. Please feel free to ask questions. I am terrible about reviews. I vow to to better.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Krivad
Was this an award booking? Looking to do an award booking but the “1 night charged to CC, non-refundable deposit” makes me a little nervous about having to pay 1 night cash plus the points cost, or at a minimum having to deal with the headache of getting that money refunded.
No, I've stayed at the Capital Peak Lodge twice and every time I've paid the cash rate. If you cancel within the cancelation window, which is a pretty large window, you lose the whole the whole cost of the trip even if it is all points. You'd pay the prevailing cash rate on a cancelation and get the points back, so it is a little risky booking here.

Last edited by Tonyr4; Jan 7, 2024 at 6:31 pm
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by mydogsarebad
I understand the reluctance on the part of the cancellation policy. It angers me as a consumer but I understand as an owner. And these are mostly if not all owned by individuals and managed by Destination. Aka Hyatt. Hyatt is amazing that you can reserve 13ish months in advance but I would be hesitant unless I had a clear path to be there at a specific time as commercial flights open up two months after that. But then I probably am in the minority as I don’t own or have access to non commercial plane travel. Jealous but super cheap. Haha.

Our family has stayed on points at nearly every Destination property in Snowmass over the last few years. Please feel free to ask questions. I am terrible about reviews. I vow to to better.
When you stay on points, does it charge you the 1 night non-refundable deposit when you book and they refund after you check out? or does it only charge that when if you were to cancel the reservation? I am going to book a 4 night stay on points but just confused if I am going to have to float $2,000 as soon as I book and wait until the stay occurs to get it back?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Krivad
When you stay on points, does it charge you the 1 night non-refundable deposit when you book and they refund after you check out? or does it only charge that when if you were to cancel the reservation? I am going to book a 4 night stay on points but just confused if I am going to have to float $2,000 as soon as I book and wait until the stay occurs to get it back?
You only get charged if you cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.