Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt not allowing using 2 Free Night Awards if hotel has 2 night min?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt not allowing using 2 Free Night Awards if hotel has 2 night min?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2023, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy Hyatt not allowing using 2 Free Night Awards if hotel has 2 night min?

I have 2 Cat 1-4 Free Night Awards that I’m trying to use for a Cat 4 hotel. It has availability on points (ie, for a Standard Room) on both of the nights I want to book, but the issue is that the hotel (a Small Luxury Hotel) has a 2 night minimum stay on weekends and so the nights can’t be booked one at a time online.

Since the Hyatt website only allows Free Night Awards to be applied one night at a time, I figured if I called in then an agent could help make the booking for me.

Unfortunately the agents are just telling me that it’s not possible, and that even though the Standard Rooms are available on points, sometimes it’s just not possible to use Free Night Awards. They seem pretty confused as to why it’s not possible - at one point it’s that it’s the discretion of the hotel, at another it’s that maybe SLH’s can choose to accept points but not FNAs, at another point it’s just that FNA’s can never be used together.

My understanding is that Free Night Awards are intended to have the exact same availability as points - on the Hyatt FAQ it says about Free Night Awards: "World of Hyatt Standard-Room Free Night Awards are available when hotels have standard rooms available at the Standard Rate."

I haven’t found any other terms or conditions that indicate that sometimes FNA are arbitrarily not available even if there is a Standard Room available. One of the agents that told me that I can't make this booking spent a while looking for the relevant terms of the program that prevent me from using the FNAs but couldn't actually find any.

Very frustrating as I was really hoping to use these certificates for this particular weekend and am very surprised I can’t use them despite there being availability. I really feel like it's just an edge case where the FNA's have a technical limitation of one night at a time and this needs to be a 2 night booking, so I'm surprised the Hyatt agents can't just make the 2 night booking using both certificates.

Any one else dealt with this? Or any other suggestions of how to escalate, or am I wrong that I should be able to use these Free Night Awards?
Old Jun 3, 2023, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Hang up, call back. Get an agent who knows how to make a reservation and apply two free night awards to support it. I have one such booking myself for next month.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Hang up, call back. Get an agent who knows how to make a reservation and apply two free night awards to support it. I have one such booking myself for next month.
Yes agree it can be done
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:13 pm

Did you try "Pay My Way" amigo?
COLINDAD likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Yes agree it can be done
How can Hyatt do it though? Their system only allows them to book category certificates 1 at a time. If it were a Hyatt property they could call the hotel provide a code and have the hotel book it, however since it’s an SLH their system is completely different and unlikely to get it processed.

I don’t see this ending favorably only because it’s an SLH which is more of a loose partnership than anything.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 9:24 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bellyssimo
Did you try "Pay My Way" amigo?
Doesn't work for SLH properties ...
Old Jun 3, 2023, 10:17 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
Try booking the two nights with points as a single reservation. Then call and ask them to switch out your points for the certificates…just a strategy
Warriorconcept and Tino like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Doesn't work for SLH properties ...
Yes sadly Pay My Way isn't an option here otherwise that would be perfect.

But good to know that there are examples of it working for others! Gives me more encouragement to keep calling back

How can Hyatt do it though? Their system only allows them to book category certificates 1 at a time. If it were a Hyatt property they could call the hotel provide a code and have the hotel book it, however since it’s an SLH their system is completely different and unlikely to get it processed.

I don’t see this ending favorably only because it’s an SLH which is more of a loose partnership than anything.
​​​​​​​

Although based on what I've been told so far I do wonder if this is right and they just have an entirely technical limitation that they can't overcome with an SLH...
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Hyatt doesn’t own SLH, no pay my way and Hyatt can’t override the system to make it happen. If there’s a Hyatt-owned property in the area you’ll need to switch to one of those and no problem.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by flyer7162
Yes sadly Pay My Way isn't an option here otherwise that would be perfect.

But good to know that there are examples of it working for others! Gives me more encouragement to keep calling back

Although based on what I've been told so far I do wonder if this is right and they just have an entirely technical limitation that they can't overcome with an SLH...
Even if the hotel allowed it Hyatt cannot force the reservation through. Strictly technical issue.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200

Convert one or both of the certificates to points to get past the technical issues.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Convert one or both of the certificates to points to get past the technical issues.
That’s 10k points each so 20k points.

Reservation cost is assuming 30k net loss of 10k.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:22 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
It's likely this isn't possible. There are reports that Hyatt will give 10k points for Cat 1-4 certs issued by Hyatt, but this isn't until the cert has expired. If one of the certs is issued by Chase, no points will be offered.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by kpott
Try booking the two nights with points as a single reservation. Then call and ask them to switch out your points for the certificates…just a strategy
Did you try this? As long as its cancelable it cant hurt to try
Old Jun 6, 2023, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer7162
I have 2 Cat 1-4 Free Night Awards that I’m trying to use for a Cat 4 hotel. It has availability on points (ie, for a Standard Room) on both of the nights I want to book, but the issue is that the hotel (a Small Luxury Hotel) has a 2 night minimum stay on weekends and so the nights can’t be booked one at a time online.................
SLH may have different availabilities for points vs certs. Even if rooms are available for points, with 2-night minimum, it may not be available using certs at all. This is different from normal Hyatt properties where you can swap certs for points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.