Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How do you guys generate Hyatt stays? Only at 1 this year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you guys generate Hyatt stays? Only at 1 this year

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2022, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan
I have been really thinking about how to solve this problem. I'm Explorist through MGM match but have 0 nights this year.

My theory is this is possible in 3 ways for me:
  • Mainland China opens next year, I spend a significant amount of time there and straight mattress run the 60 nights. Lots of ridiculously cheap properties in good locations.
  • I spend a lot of time in Vegas at MGM properties. This is unlikely for 2023 but maybe another year
  • I spend a lot of time with work travel on OPM in large cities. Also unlikely for 2023 but maybe another year
I'm pretty sure staying somewhere as Explorist is worse than staying somewhere with Titanium.

BTW I would have no problem staying in Long Island City
you have 0 nights this year and are considering a 60 night mattress run next year? You’re trying way too hard to solve a “problem” that doesn’t exist.
59Impala likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Seagull689
you have 0 nights this year and are considering a 60 night mattress run next year? You’re trying way too hard to solve a “problem” that doesn’t exist.
I will reach Lifetime Platinum pretty much organically without any work over the next few years. Considering I spend lots of nights in hotels, might as well get something out of it. Hyatt in China is just as cheap as other “throwaway” options.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I recognize that a major gap for me in my experiences are international Hyatt properties. I intend to travel predominantly outside the US in 2023 and have 67 nights booked at Marriott up to the beginning of April and 3 nights booked at Hyatt (all on points / certs). As someone who likes hotel-hopping, I'm challenged on the thought of focusing spend on Hyatt as I don't think I can get 60 nights next year by diverting 1-3 of my Marriott nights to the 1-3 Hyatt properties in the destinations I'm planning to visit. If I can't get to 60, then investing in Hyatt seems like a losing proposition as the differences in benefits between non-Globalist and Ambassador is very significant.

Now, my US stays at Hyatt have been trending quite poor from a pure hard and soft product quality aspect. Hyatt should work to improve the experience at hotels in their home country as losing centralized control over the experience muddles down their major differentiator. Of course, one only needs to look at corporate-managed properties, like the PHNY, and their terrible Elite treatment and poor on-property service attitudes to see where Hyatt Corporate is trending towards.
Polytonic and gudugan like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I only had one Hyatt stay in 2022, but I travel a decent amount - enough that if I really concentrated on Hyatt stays and CC spending, maybe I could make globalist? The only question is even more relevant now as I can get Marriott Platinum by just holding a credit card, so if I want to forgo Marriott for a year while pursuing Hyatt status, I could do so. The issue is I run into the footprint challenge Polytonic has:<snip>
I guess what I'm curious about is why do you need Globalist? Is it just FOMO from reading happy Globalists on FT or what? I mean if Marriott and it's footprint/program work for you, what is the purpose of pursuing yet another status?

Perhaps holding the Marriott Platinum status via credit card gives you the opportunity to take a breath and not need to simply shift the issue of "chasing status" to a different program. And frankly, if you are planing to really "concentrate" you stays on Hyatt, then do you really need Marriott Platinum status? (i.e. paying a $650 annual fee for a card on a program that you are no longer focusing your stays).

To be clear, I'm genuinely not trying to be adversarial, but just trying to provide some food for thought. I just find that many on FT get themselves on a hamster wheel of endlessly chasing status (then needing to "requailfiy" again next year) without really clarifying their "why" and whether its really necessary/worth it.

And we do love Hyatt, but our travel is primarily leisure and thus the "footprint" is whatever we want it to be and really isn't a problem for us, so we really don't need to do unnatural things to maintain Globalist.

Regards
Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:14 am

In my limited experience, the issue of the Hyatt "small footprint" was most often noticed when I traveled to smaller towns. That said, those locations were ones where I got limited to no benefit from Plat status since I was staying at a Fairfield, Courtyard, etc. For me it became a question of what program seemed to have a better award program. I have been more pleased with Hyatt these past 2 years than I have with any program since HH in the early 2000s.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
I guess what I'm curious about is why do you need Globalist? Is it just FOMO from reading happy Globalists on FT or what?
Yes, I have FOMO, and am really really really bored.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by gudugan
Yes, I have FOMO, and am really really really bored.
This is too funny - it's basically me - I spend my time on vacation thinking about hotels and planning my next one. Perhaps, that's an issue, but there are worse addictions!
sep, WVmike, Polytonic and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
This is too funny - it's basically me - I spend my time on vacation thinking about hotels and planning my next one. Perhaps, that's an issue, but there are worse addictions!
haha! I have decided that I dislike flying so have no airline loyalty whatsoever. That means more time to focus on hotel status, which objectively has better benefits
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Unless your travel patterns happen to align really, really well with Hyatt's footprint, Hyatt takes at least a little more "work" than Marriott/Hilton/etc.

However, my leisure travel is always with a wife and three kids. Globalist suites, free breakfasts, and waived resort fees become bigger deals for leisure travel (plus, after being Globalist for so long, I have a big psychological block to paying resort fees - I understand hotel motivation against simply raising the room rate and dropping the resort fees, but it just irks me to no end).

Marriot's Lifetime Zirconia just does not compare to Hyatt Globalist. I'm never going to be able to get a Marriott suite upgrade where and when we want to go, and so then we are looking at two rooms and two resort fees, etc.

So, when it is just me, I'll put in a little more work to get Hyatt Globalist, and then use those benefits for family leisure travel.
hedoman, CMK10, UA-NYC and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:25 am

Using a Hyatt credit card and booking Vegas Stay can be an easy way to reach your status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.