Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

FirstName Bordeaux [JdV] REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:50 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Creating a dedicated thread for the upcoming FirstName Bordeaux, JdV by Hyatt's first property in France, now that the hotel page is online at the attached link.

Bookable from December 29th, 2022.

khabah
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Very cool! Looking forward to learning more as opening nears. Their website implies they only have 2 premium suites.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
"At FirstName, your comfort is a priority. Our 147 rooms and suites..."

I'm not usually one to complain about asinine corporate branding, but that name...oof. "Where are you staying?" "I'm staying at FirstName Bordeaux" "What in the world? Did you just glitch out?" When your hotel name looks like a computer glitch caused by missing data, maybe you should rethink that...
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast

I'm not usually one to complain about asinine corporate branding, but that name...oof. "Where are you staying?" "I'm staying at FirstName Bordeaux" "What in the world? Did you just glitch out?" When your hotel name looks like a computer glitch caused by missing data, maybe you should rethink that...
"Hi, I'm staying at <datatype=FirstName>".

David

p.s. They may have been shooting for something like: "Yes, we are the FirstName in hotels in Bordeaux" but it still doesn't quite roll off of one's tongue, in English or French.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Last edited by DELee; Sep 16, 2022 at 3:49 pm
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
"Hi, I'm staying at <datatype=FirstName>".

David

p.s. They may have been shooting for something like: "Yes, we are the FirstName in hotels in Bordeaux" but it still doesn't quite roll off of one's tongue, in English or Franch.
"You've been upgraded to <Error:MissingValue>"
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
"You've been upgraded to <Error:MissingValue>"
At least here on FlyerTalk, I would have been greeted as: "Welcome, [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]!"

David
Old Sep 16, 2022, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
At least here on FlyerTalk, I would have been greeted as: "Welcome, [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]!"

David
And, I as ARG:4 UNDEFINED!
DELee likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 10:18 pm

"Welcome valued customer!"
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:14 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Opening Date set for January 11, 23

- The opening date is now January 11, 23 - confirmed by Hyatt/Joie de Vivre/FirstName Bordeaux.
- First Name in French is... » PRENOM - locals have a hard time not to laugh...
- The Joie de Vivre concept is unknown in France and everyone is eager to discover this joint venture of Hyatt and Alboran (the actual company managing the hotel).
- It should be « FEEL GOOD » atmosphere in the entire hotel.
- The building was previously the old insurance Allianz in Meriadeck (conceived in the previous century to centralize the Public offices for the Prefecture Gironde)
- The associated Chef is Cedric Bechade who is the owner of Auberge Basque, Relais & Châteaux in Saint Pee sur Nivelles -180 km from Bordeaux.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 2:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am staying at the hotel next weekend and will report back. Was sent a postcard from the hotel - handwritten welcoming me for being one of their first customers!

aks120
TravisMT81 and CLEguy like this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
I received a warm email as well prior to my stay there next weekend! Excited to see what they're offering!
CLEguy likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by aks120
I am staying at the hotel next weekend and will report back. Was sent a postcard from the hotel - handwritten welcoming me for being one of their first customers!

aks120
Originally Posted by flyjfk
I received a warm email as well prior to my stay there next weekend! Excited to see what they're offering!
Looking forward to reports back from your stays. I’m excited to have a Hyatt option here. The Intercontinental location is impossible to beat but the hotel itself is definitely not my style.
aks120 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Great Hotel - some style issues.

FirstName Bordeaux

1 Review | 100% Recommended

FirstName Bordeaux

Great Hotel - some style issues. (14 Photos)

FirstName Bordeaux

Very trendy hotel - nice stay.

Check In

So here we go. I got a phone call from the hotel the night before welcoming me to the hotel - and the lady was practically giddy when she told me I was one of the first Globalist to stay since it opened. Asked what time I was arriving etc etc and that was that.

Getting the hotel was easy - the 1 Bus from the airport stops very close by and costs very little. As approached the hotel I was filled with dread - it is in a really ugly 1960s building and had quite a few homeless folks sitting around outside in the park next door. However, the minute I walked in I realised the style guy had been given a free reign and that it was obviously going to be a quirky stay.

As I checked in, I was sent to the self serve check in desks, with the check in lady hovering to make sure I managed. It was all a bit fiddly as it didnt pull all my details from my Hyatt account and felt a little awkward. I can see the utility when it is busy but feels very impersonal and slightly low end.

The highlight is a massive bear in reception - no need to go to Doha anymore to get a photo with one if that is your thing!

8E9E7DE6-0380-4D5F-B48B-C017838CE87C.jpegCF0C99D1-CEBC-4001-9E71-8844AC3B10EE.jpegDD503309-2DC6-4C73-9A79-24EC0E5760F1.jpeg

Room

I got to look at two rooms. I had been upgraded to a suite as I was Globalist and had done an online check in to that room. When I arrived, the receptionist said it was a lovely room, but that they had a function on at the speakeasy bar along the corridor and she expected the room to be bother by quite a bit of noise. She took me to look at that room, and the other quieter one she had picked out. 

The first suite was beautiful and had a sauna on the balcony, a roll top bath and was really nice. I was very tempted but concerned about the noise aspect so we went to look at the other room. Again a nice corner room - not quite as nice as the suite but I took it as I wanted a good nights sleep. I thought the fact she told me about the possible noise was a real plus - however the designer that has put the best rooms in the hotel next to a noisy function room may come to regret that!

My room had a huge bed and boy was it comfy! That linen were high quality and I slept for hours. Now the room has a bit of a Scandinavian feel too it and the hotel prides itself with a environmentally friendly outlook. So there is no fridge in the room - but there is a little kitchenette in the hallway with a microwave and fridge full of soft drinks that were free to guests. I nice touch. 

The issue I had was with the bathroom - first off the toilet is separate form the rest of the bathroom - no real issue with that other than its location. Right next to the bed - whereas the bath/shower is down a corridor and very private. I just dont see the logic - especially as there was plenty of room in the bathroom to put the toilet. The other issue is that is was very difficult to turn the shower on with an immovable plastic side divider - I really struggled without getting in the bath or turn the shower on!

The aminities were high end big bottles - although no separate shampoo/conditioner - it was an all in one thing which felt a little cheap. The hairdryer was very powerful and there was plenty of places in the bathroom to spread out.

The bedroom was a little style over substance but I cannot fault the sleep quality - amazing bed!

83FFAC1B-5335-4DDF-A728-F049E241A6F0.jpegEDE44E36-1332-4A09-855C-D9B6802BF287.jpeg84397FCD-6DA9-4305-8DB0-93C91B983707.jpegF65CF3BB-29B8-420B-B3CE-49D27A4A0589.jpeg

Service

This is where the hotel excelled - all the staff I encountered throughout my stay were super friendly - almost too delighted to see me as I could not get away!

Dining

So dinning is where it goes a little aray. I was told the restaurant was full on the night I was there - so I went to sit in the bar - which is a bit like a coffee shop or seats at the bar itself. Not too much space to lounge out. I had a few glasses of wine which were very reasonably priced and decided to eat something off the bar snack menu. I was told there were small plates - I have no issue with this - but I order the burger which was a canapé with a bowl full of chips. Proportions were off somewhat between the two parts to the dish! I also had the honey ice cream desert (can't remember the name) and it was delicious. 

Breakfast was on another strange level though. YOu could order fruit juice and coffee, so far so goo - then you have to order a plate.  The plate came with cake, and a crepe (the one I chose) and it was like a selection of things from the kitchen, and a bowl of scrambled eggs. Nothing to go with them - very odd. The bread basket with croissant etc was very high quality. No option for a continental - or cheese and bread as per every other french breakfast. I cannot see this appealing to an American audience and it was quite pricey for what you got. Luckily Globalist took care of it!

77696AC8-ABE7-4012-A5CB-5FEA6E1EE5B1.jpeg6D4B4037-6F46-4147-9551-ECE31B2AEBE7.jpegA5A05833-0059-4DC8-9D48-A6173B87B70C.jpegD91B66F1-E037-463C-AAD5-64C7F3EC60C3.jpegF5B141BD-BAFA-4464-A5A5-2EBE26E188B7.jpeg5B319A04-FC48-48CA-A234-6CD0E9933EE2.jpegE45691CC-C617-42FA-AECF-EB26A3F44168.jpeg

The hotel is easy to get to from the airport -there was a shopping centre across the way but not a great deal around it. I wasn't sold on the location but maybe I missed the 'good bit'!

Overall

Overall this hotel is very nice - but a little style over substance - particularly in the food area. That said it was a popular site for locals in the evenings and the cocktails looked really good.

The staff were super friendly too and so service was excellent.

I am not sure where this hotel is putting itelf - young and trendy, environmentally aware clients I think. I would definately stay again if I was in the area - I much preferred it to the Intercontinental which is far too 'old fashioned' for my taste! 

If anyone has any particular questions I will try to answer them. Happy to dish out more info if what you want to know is not in this review.

Regards

aks120

Great Hotel - some style issues.

Would you like to write a review on the FirstName Bordeaux?

No, thank you.
Yes
Aventine likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Thanks for the great review! While a tad on the outskirts, you can walk to the downtown area from the hotel, just head passed the Musee des Beaux Arts and the Cathedrale and you’ll be at the Rue St Catherine shopping street within ~10 min walk.

some recommended restaurants not far: Baston, Lauza, Ebisu, Atelier des Faures and Boulangerie Jocteur for bread and pastries!
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:55 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
I loved my stay! (it was also my first time in Bordeaux and I fell in love!) Here's a video I took:
The room was very nice (was upgraded to corner King) and the bed was very comfortable. Everything was good except for breakfast - it was so bad that I didn't even bother going there the next day. I left this feedback in the survey they sent and the hotel manager reached out to me saying that they're working on updating the breakfast offering.
I would go back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.