Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Staying at Hyatt with dog... protocols???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:53 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This will be our 1st time traveling with out dog, small 25lb blue healer, and have several Hyatt's booked a long the way.

Curious what / how / when I should notify the hotel. Part of me feels that if I call and inform before arrival I'll be MUCH less likely to receive any upgrade based on our Globalist status. Not sure as well if there are only CERTAIN rooms / types that allow pets, or is it every room on the property.

I was kind of thinking I'll check in, see if any upgrade was available and then inform them afterwards that we will have our dog.

On another note, I believe I read that the dog can't be left alone in the room...how does one eat breakfast?? Hahah, all kind of new to us thanks for any insight!
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Some properties require notification at least 3 days in advance, so you might not want to play games. You should check each hotel's pet policy.
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
You go to breakfast one at a time, you order it to go and eat it back in your room, or you eat it outside somewhere with your dog.

Don't be those people who leave the dog alone in the room to make a racket and then claim that they had no idea the dog was so noisy when left alone.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:07 am

If you travel with your dog, you do as the poster above said. Lot of properties have this kind of rule so the dogs don't create an issue with noise or risk to housekeepers if they enter a room with a dog that's alone.

Most importantly than any of that though, spend every moment you can with your dog and stay with them especially in a new strange place. What's a mediocre hotel breakfast against more precious minutes with a canine.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:57 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
You go to breakfast one at a time, you order it to go and eat it back in your room, or you eat it outside somewhere with your dog.

Don't be those people who leave the dog alone in the room to make a racket and then claim that they had no idea the dog was so noisy when left alone.

I like the idea of eating outside, that sounds great!
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:06 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by js1993
Some properties require notification at least 3 days in advance, so you might not want to play games. You should check each hotel's pet policy.

I have been checking the hotel websites about pet policies and such and have not seen anything about a 3 day advance notice. Honestly, most are pretty broad and just state the fees and size limits.

Not playing games, just trying to understand if the Globalist benefits extend when your traveling with your pet. I guess it more of a question of do they let pets in all of their room, or do they only allow pets in particular rooms. After thinking about it for a bit I would imagine it would have to be all rooms, because they could not deny a particular rooms for a guest traveling with a service animal, at least in the US.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
I have been checking the hotel websites about pet policies and such and have not seen anything about a 3 day advance notice. Honestly, most are pretty broad and just state the fees and size limits.

Not playing games, just trying to understand if the Globalist benefits extend when your traveling with your pet. I guess it more of a question of do they let pets in all of their room, or do they only allow pets in particular rooms. After thinking about it for a bit I would imagine it would have to be all rooms, because they could not deny a particular rooms for a guest traveling with a service animal, at least in the US.
In the USA, the rules for service animals are very different from those for pets. Do not assume.
wrldwide1 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:20 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by platbrownguy

Don't be those people who travel with an infant in the room to make a racket and then claim that they had no idea anyone else could here their baby.

I'm sure a dog is the only noise issue that could possibly be avoided at a hotel... kids, tv's, construction, parties, music, drunks...and yes dogs. I get what your saying and am a bit nervous about how it's all going to pan out, but in the end if someone chooses a hotel that allows pets, they are going to have to understand if they actually hear pets. Much like people who travel and don't want to be around kids, if that's the case go to an adults only hotel or rent an Airbnb or something.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:22 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the USA, the rules for service animals are very different from those for pets. Do not assume.
Right, all my point was is that service animals would be allowed in all rooms. Meaning, there is at least some possibility that a pet would be allowed in any room, but not necessarily.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Don't be those people who travel with an infant in the room to make a racket and then claim that they had no idea anyone else could here their baby.

I'm sure a dog is the only noise issue that could possibly be avoided at a hotel... kids, tv's, construction, parties, music, drunks...and yes dogs. I get what your saying and am a bit nervous about how it's all going to pan out, but in the end if someone chooses a hotel that allows pets, they are going to have to understand if they actually hear pets. Much like people who travel and don't want to be around kids, if that's the case go to an adults only hotel or rent an Airbnb or something.
What in the world? Who would leave a baby alone in a hotel room? And, no, I'm not going to "understand" when someone leaves their dog barking alone in a hotel room. That's pure negligence on the part of the owner, and I will make the hotel resolve the issue and then the hotel can deal with an irresponsible owner.
Maui4me1 and platbrownguy like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:08 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
What in the world? Who would leave a baby alone in a hotel room? And, no, I'm not going to "understand" when someone leaves their dog barking alone in a hotel room. That's pure negligence on the part of the owner, and I will make the hotel resolve the issue and then the hotel can deal with an irresponsible owner.
You might want to try reading the sentence again. Never says to leave a baby in the room. Negligence for leaving a dog in a room, hahaha. A bit much I think. Irresponsible, possibly. Not being a great guest, sure. But then again I've encountered countless times where I've had to endure irresponsible behavior in a hotel, sometimes I've notified the front desk, other times it just is what it is.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
You might want to try reading the sentence again. Never says to leave a baby in the room. Negligence for leaving a dog in a room, hahaha. A bit much I think. Irresponsible, possibly. Not being a great guest, sure. But then again I've encountered countless times where I've had to endure irresponsible behavior in a hotel, sometimes I've notified the front desk, other times it just is what it is.
Your comparison doesn't make any sense - leaving a baby alone is a crime. It seems like you didn't like the answers of people telling you to follow Hyatt policies around pets because you want upgrades and then decided to go full nuclear with hyperbolic comparisons between dogs and children. People who don't like dogs usually have legitimate reasons to do so. If you care about upgrades so much and choose to travel with a dog, you should call each hotel individually to determine their policies for handling dogs.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:33 pm

We haven't traveled with our dog, partially because a 140 pound Irish Wolfhound is above the limit in many cases (although ironically she'd be a great guest -- they're gentle, kind, and quiet couch potatoes). But from what I've read when looking into it and heard from those who have, most hotels that allow pets do have specific rooms/floors.designated for pets. I would definitely expect that if you showed up they'd downgrade/move you as needed. Just because they might be required to accomodate someone with a registered service animal in any room (and do any extra cleaning afterward) doesn't mean a pet will be allowed there.

As for leaving the dog in the room, I suspect this falls to practical knowledge of your own dog. When ours was a puppy she ate parts of walls and windowsills when we left her alone a couple times. Now, however, you can rub her belly, leave, and come home 2 hours later to find she's in exactly the same position on the couch. I would probably "sneak" out for 10 minutes to get breakfast if she seemed to be comfortable, but would never leave her for hours alone in a strange room for many reasons. Like many things, if nobody knows nobody knows, but if there is an issue then by definition you shouldn't have done it and they have the rule in place to cover.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I've stayed in hotels with my dog(s) and they definitely have rooms designated for guests with animals. It is usually for allergy reasons so that other rooms can be considered safe for those with allergies. I have also almost always been given a hang tag or magnet for the door stating that there is a dog in the room. This is so housekeeping or security is aware and they don't just walk in if no one responds to a knock. This is also one of the reasons, along with the others mentioned why you cannot leave a pet alone in the room. One hotel told me a cleaner was attacked by a dog left in the room alone. He was already stressed about being in an unfamiliar place and was defending his territory. And we all know the Do Not Disturb sign doesn't always do the trick. So for all of these reasons, don't lie or try to sneak in your dog just to try to get a room they might not otherwise want to give you. Just like traveling with kids, traveling with a dog means there are compromises for everyones' sake.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by Finkface
I've stayed in hotels with my dog(s) and they definitely have rooms designated for guests with animals. It is usually for allergy reasons so that other rooms can be considered safe for those with allergies. I have also almost always been given a hang tag or magnet for the door stating that there is a dog in the room. This is so housekeeping or security is aware and they don't just walk in if no one responds to a knock. This is also one of the reasons, along with the others mentioned why you cannot leave a pet alone in the room. One hotel told me a cleaner was attacked by a dog left in the room alone. He was already stressed about being in an unfamiliar place and was defending his territory. And we all know the Do Not Disturb sign doesn't always do the trick. So for all of these reasons, don't lie or try to sneak in your dog just to try to get a room they might not otherwise want to give you. Just like traveling with kids, traveling with a dog means there are compromises for everyones' sake.

Perfectly stated .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.