Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Grayson New York City [Unbound] REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 2:30 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

Creating a dedicated thread for New York City's first property from the Unbound Collection, The Grayson, now that the property page has come online at the attached link. The hotel address is 30 W 39th Street, just down the road from the Hyatt Centric Midtown and around the corner from the Andaz. 296 rooms that will start at a snug 250 square feet, putting it right on par with all the new-build sliver hotels that have been popping up all over the city.

Category 5, and accepting reservations from September 1st, 2022.

khabah
Old May 12, 2022, 3:14 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Only a Category 5? That's amazing compared to the Centric nearby, and the single room photo on the website looks pretty nice.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Was curious what brand it would be, they had not put up a sign. The site does seem at least wider than the centric on 39th. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by TravisMT81; May 12, 2022 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:11 pm

The opening for this property has been delayed until September 12, or so the hotel has informed me since my stay is before then. They've offered to put me up in a nearby hotel instead, but I was wondering if other folks accepted the offer (Hyatt Centric Midtown 5th Ave) or pushed for something else. What would you think is a reasonable accommodation? This is a points booking for what it's worth.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:44 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Push back 100%. Hyatt Centric Midtown is not comparable and more of a downgrade.

Instead, you should ask for the Andaz 5th avenue + have them guarantee you a Suite there.
Originally Posted by steveman518
The opening for this property has been delayed until September 12, or so the hotel has informed me since my stay is before then. They've offered to put me up in a nearby hotel instead, but I was wondering if other folks accepted the offer (Hyatt Centric Midtown 5th Ave) or pushed for something else. What would you think is a reasonable accommodation? This is a points booking for what it's worth.
lsquare and Sydneyberlin like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 11:16 am

I also had a points booking in the time period and the property reached out to rebook at the Hyatt Centric.

I asked if it was possible to stay at Andaz but they said they were unable to partner with the hotel over my selected dates (even though the Andaz rooms show as "available" currently)

In the end, they rebooked at the Centric and also refunded my points, so I thought it was a great outcome. Centric is Cat 6 while Grayson is Cat 5, so on paper, it's an "upgrade"

I did look forward to staying at the new hotel, but I guess I'll have to wait.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by pluu1285
I also had a points booking in the time period and the property reached out to rebook at the Hyatt Centric.

I asked if it was possible to stay at Andaz but they said they were unable to partner with the hotel over my selected dates (even though the Andaz rooms show as "available" currently)

In the end, they rebooked at the Centric and also refunded my points, so I thought it was a great outcome. Centric is Cat 6 while Grayson is Cat 5, so on paper, it's an "upgrade"

I was given that option as well or the option to have the reservation refunded with an extra 20k points
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pluu1285

My guess is the Greyson and Midtown centric share a parent company.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Same issue for me. I had a confirmed points stay over Labor Day Weekend impacted by this. The offered and I accepted a move to the Centric, but insisted that they keep me in a room with two beds as I need it for this stay. I got an email this morning telling me that the Centric won't do this and offered me the same 20k points.

I politely told them to refund the points, but I felt it was very short sighted to not offer me a solution and that I would now have to move the stay to a non-Hyatt property given the late date that they are doing this to me. I'm not impressed......
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by bostonpilot
Same issue for me. I had a confirmed points stay over Labor Day Weekend impacted by this. The offered and I accepted a move to the Centric, but insisted that they keep me in a room with two beds as I need it for this stay. I got an email this morning telling me that the Centric won't do this and offered me the same 20k points.

I politely told them to refund the points, but I felt it was very short sighted to not offer me a solution and that I would now have to move the stay to a non-Hyatt property given the late date that they are doing this to me. I'm not impressed......

...and maybe because its been on of "those" workdays, I decided to send Hyatt an email to let them know I'm annoyed with how this has been handled. It should be interesting to see if/what response I get.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

...and maybe because its been on of "those" workdays, I decided to send Hyatt an email to let them know I'm annoyed with how this has been handled. It should be interesting to see if/what response I get.
Consumer Affairs definitely should be made aware. This hotel is leaving you in a lurch and probably not easy or cheap to book a 2 double or queens Room now for Labor Day weekend. I would also consider bringing it to gleff’s attention.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Did you get any response?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 5:36 am

Website still says September 12th, but it looks like reservations are unavailable until early October. I'm guessing that they'll extend the date once again.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by katstarr
Website still says September 12th, but it looks like reservations are unavailable until early October. I'm guessing that they'll extend the date once again.
Theyve pushed to the 29th now.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:50 pm

I did. Sorry for the delayed posting on my end. Its been a couple of very full travel weeks.

I got another round of response that was essentially "sorry, but you can keep looking for a room" which was useless. I pushed some more saying that I really thought Hyatt wasn't being reasonable given the situation. Luckily mid email volley back and forth, a room with two bed opened up at a different nyc property. My concierge booked it for me and comped me the points to cover the differential in prices.

All in all, it worked out, but I think it was handled pretty poorly.
Sydneyberlin and Aventine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.