Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

GoH Bookings after Losing Globalist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

My sister would love for me to book her a Guest of Honor stay for next March... however, barring any promos, I'll drop from Globalist to Explorist at the end of next Feb. Assuming they'd even let me make a GoH booking that has the stay starting after 2/28/23, what would happen to that booking? Do they check the original booker's status after the new status year ticks over and remove any benefits from existing GoH bookings, or is this a loophole that would let her still have the benefits even after I've dropped in status?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
Haven’t experienced that specific situation. However the year I lapsed as a Globalist, I didn’t get any of the tangible benefits (most notably lounge access) for a booking made while I was a Globalist but occurring after expiration of status. I was upgraded to a better room, but hard to say if that was due to prior status, repeat guest status, vacancy rate, etc. i would assume your sister would not get the expected GoH treatment.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by League
My sister would love for me to book her a Guest of Honor stay for next March... however, barring any promos, I'll drop from Globalist to Explorist at the end of next Feb. Assuming they'd even let me make a GoH booking that has the stay starting after 2/28/23, what would happen to that booking? Do they check the original booker's status after the new status year ticks over and remove any benefits from existing GoH bookings, or is this a loophole that would let her still have the benefits even after I've dropped in status?
They would definitely allow the booking as the assumption is that a Globalist would requalify. They want to get in as many bookings as possible there’s no reason not to accept the booking.

The tricky part is if benefits would be honored which is quite up in the air. I believe the hotel would see it as a Guest of Honor booking with the notations and honor it, but that’s just my belief it’s not policy, there is no data supporting it it’s just what I believe as Guest of Honor bookings are very different. It’s basically a regular booking just with a special code added along with a notation mentioning Guest of Honor.

Originally Posted by tigerwong
Haven’t experienced that specific situation. However the year I lapsed as a Globalist, I didn’t get any of the tangible benefits (most notably lounge access) for a booking made while I was a Globalist but occurring after expiration of status. I was upgraded to a better room, but hard to say if that was due to prior status, repeat guest status, vacancy rate, etc. i would assume your sister would not get the expected GoH treatment.
I feel GOH is very different from a Glob losing status, although you’d think they’re the same.
wilywombat and Colin like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Although no data point here, but it seems after I made GoH bookings, those confirmations are no longer connected to me. Confirmation is issued to GoH’s own GP account. For this reason, I don’t think Hyatt will cancel the booking when OP does not requalify. My money is on OP’s sister will have the benefits. Maybe OP can let us know next March.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by 168
Although no data point here, but it seems after I made GoH bookings, those confirmations are no longer connected to me. Confirmation is issued to GoH’s own GP account. For this reason, I don’t think Hyatt will cancel the booking when OP does not requalify. My money is on OP’s sister will have the benefits. Maybe OP can let us know next March.
Negative. I'm Globalist and just made a GoH booking last week. Because I've already maxed out the Q1 promotion, I made the reservation under my SO's name so that she can still get the 2022 points for every 2 nights, even though I'm also staying myself. At check-in, when the agent looked up my SO's name, he promptly mentioned "I see your reservation is made by ezak", before he saw my ID and realized I'm also there. So, the confirmation is definitely tied to the original Globalist and hotels will be able to see that status has expired. Whether they rescind the benefits, of course, is probably YMMV.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by ezak
Negative. I'm Globalist and just made a GoH booking last week. Because I've already maxed out the Q1 promotion, I made the reservation under my SO's name so that she can still get the 2022 points for every 2 nights, even though I'm also staying myself. At check-in, when the agent looked up my SO's name, he promptly mentioned "I see your reservation is made by ezak", before he saw my ID and realized I'm also there. So, the confirmation is definitely tied to the original Globalist and hotels will be able to see that status has expired. Whether they rescind the benefits, of course, is probably YMMV.
Maybe property dependent?

I also made a GOH reservation and arrived with my GOH to check in. They didn’t mention the Globalist’s (my) name at all when I walked up with them to check in. (Manchester Grand Hyatt)

Another property saw a notation that it was a GOH reservation but didn’t know what that meant (it was a HP so the only tangible benefit was complimentary parking but it was $22 a night so that’s a big value for a HP).

This topic is definitely something that’s up in the air with a variety of factors the top of which I believe would be -

How long since Globalist Expiration? (1 Day, 1 Week, 1 Month or longer)

When was the Reservation was made? (1 Day, 1 Week, 1 Month or longer). This is important because it could be a Globalist just attempting to gain longer access to benefits for themselves or friends, especially if it’s made less than 1 month to check in date.

What is the property? Those with higher benefits may be less likely to honor it if they notice the Globalist lost status.

How long is the stay? 1-2 Night stays would have a much higher likelihood of being honored as a courtesy, whereas 3+ night stays would not.

One question I find interesting would be what if a person books a stay from 2/28/23 to 3/6/23 as a Globalist or for a GoH?

Because Hyatt’s T&C state many times that X benefit will be given at check in. So I would assume in this scenario benefits would be honored, if not as a matter of policy then as a matter of courtesy. Of course this is just pure conjecture as Hyatt has always wanted Globalists losing status to have a “soft landing” from what I’ve seen and been told.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Having there been reports of people losing free breakfast in the middle of a stay on March 1 when they lose Glob status? I wouldn't expect the hotel to force them to change rooms, but benefits that are given every day can easily be withdrawn.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Having there been reports of people losing free breakfast in the middle of a stay on March 1 when they lose Glob status? I wouldn't expect the hotel to force them to change rooms, but benefits that are given every day can easily be withdrawn.
You’d think that, but I haven’t found any. Also, that process makes no sense either.

So day 1 and day 2 breakfast is complimentary then on day 3 is the hotel supposed to contact the guest and inform them? I don’t believe that would happen and that it would only be noticed upon checkout, rather than mid-stay.

I agree your way makes more sense strictly based on what should happen, however in practice I don’t believe it happens that way.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4200
You’d think that, but I haven’t found any. Also, that process makes no sense either.

So day 1 and day 2 breakfast is complimentary then on day 3 is the hotel supposed to contact the guest and inform them? I don’t believe that would happen and that it would only be noticed upon checkout, rather than mid-stay.

I agree your way makes more sense strictly based on what should happen, however in practice I don’t believe it happens that way.
Several years ago, back during the GP days, I slipped from diamond to platinum and had a stay at the GH Kauai shortly (2-3 days) after my status was downgraded. I was upgraded to an ocean view club room in advance while I had diamond status. I still received the club benefits and diamond access to the spa but as always YMMV.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:18 pm

Maybe property dependent?

I also made a GOH reservation and arrived with my GOH to check in. They didn’t mention the Globalist’s (my) name at all when I walked up with them to check in. (Manchester Grand Hyatt)

Another property saw a notation that it was a GOH reservation but didn’t know what that meant (it was a HP so the only tangible benefit was complimentary parking but it was $22 a night so that’s a big value for a HP).
It was definitely weird. To be honest, I thought the front desk was unprofessional to mention the original Globalist's name. It didn't matter in this case since I was here myself, but it could become awkward in certain scenarios. All in all, I'm just surprised that the front desk can access such information - like you said, I always thought they only see a "GOH" note attached to the reservation, but nothing more. Now I'm wondering what exactly happened: did the concierge somehow include my name in the notes, or did the hotel "reverse lookup" the Globalist? Guess I'll never know.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by League
what would happen to that booking?
Since I am interested in this question, I contacted my WoH Concierge.

Guest of Honor bookings while being a Glob will retain Glob status even if you failed to requalify. The reservation is still honored as a GoH booking.
dsiderx2 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by 168

Guest of Honor bookings while being a Glob will retain Glob status even if you failed to requalify. The reservation is still honored as a GoH booking.
I wonder if this is true policy or just a best guess.

Why I ask is on 2/28/23 someone could book 10 reservations throughout 2023 and into 2024 as GOH reservations thus getting many many Elite benefits they are no longer entitled to which wouldn’t make sense.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by 168

I wonder if this is true policy or just a best guess.

Why I ask is on 2/28/23 someone could book 10 reservations throughout 2023 and into 2024 as GOH reservations thus getting many many Elite benefits they are no longer entitled to which wouldn’t make sense.
Wouldn’t be the worse policy for Hyatt. Not like you can book out forever. Also, bookings this far in advance is probably very hard for people to manage.

if anyone has data points on this, please chime in. Planning to just roll the dice for next year since I most likely won’t be requalifying unless some double nights promos pop up. Will book one for next summer.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
GOH booking question...

If a Globalist books a GOH stay for me now, for mid-2023, and then losses his Glob. status on 1-1-23 will my stay revert to a basic booking or will I still enjoy GOH benefits?

Just found similar thread here: GoH Bookings after Losing Globalist? Seems like Hyatt doesn't have an official, publicized, policy.

Last edited by philemer; Oct 7, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:53 pm

For whatever it's worth, Hyatt status expires at the end of February, not on January 1st.

I don't think there is any consensus answer to this beyond the previous thread that you already linked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.