Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Any Globalists using only points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Globalists using only points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Basically, the only way I can think of to do would be through credit card spend, so you likely would have to have a business that you were funding through a credit card in order to get that much spend (and be against spending cash at Hyatt properties). There might be a few business owners on here that are similar.

I have some people in my personal life that only fund Hyatt stays on points from either WOH or Ultimate Rewards credit cards, but they aren't hitting that many points and consequently that many nights because they are only putting on reasonable day-to-day spend.
There are some "manufactured spend" types who do generate enough points that get used for Hyatt stays that they do become Globalist on point stays. That said, I have seen some Hyatt accounts have an uptick in the percentage of award stays that don't credit as stays for some weird reason and thus need follow-ups for the award stays to count like they should for status acquisition/retention (and whatever else is tied to the stay counter).
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Ironically, my multi-week application saga with Chase led Hyatt to get a pretty good customer as I was trying to get the WOH card to maximize return on Hyatt purchases before I started adding Hyatt into my travel rotation (really wanted Discoverist for 2 PM late checkout to make up for the 4 PM I was getting at Bonvoy properties).

I have found Chase to be much harder to deal with from a CS side than Amex - not to mention their ridiculous 5/24 rule, but I'm grateful I stuck it out through the hassle.
Amex is nice in that they will tell you when you are applying that you won't get the bonus, but they are still happy to have you as a customer.

Chase is a little more punitive here. They know that you need them more than they need you and they just fire you.

I'm curious to know me about your story... were you shut down? Why did you have to jump through these hoops? I've never heard of anyone being "unfired" by Chase.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm curious to know me about your story... were you shut down? Why did you have to jump through these hoops? I've never heard of anyone being "unfired" by Chase.
I've seen some "fired" Chase credit card customers get back in with Chase credit cards after a break of several years. Part of it may have had to do with becoming a Chase current account customer for the first time after being fired -- on at least the credit card side -- and waiting it out for some time after that.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:27 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Amex is nice in that they will tell you when you are applying that you won't get the bonus, but they are still happy to have you as a customer.

Chase is a little more punitive here. They know that you need them more than they need you and they just fire you.

Nope, no shutdown and no prior Chase account. I applied for the card and then was asked to send in a bunch of identity documentation by going into a branch. Went to branches several times to fax in the required documentation to no avail (the departments kept saying they hadn't received the faxes). Finally, I found a branch with a banker who was fed up after hearing my story and spent 30 minutes with me calling different internal phone lines to finally get me approved while I was sitting there. This specific banker was very nice even eating into their lunch hour because they felt like the process was not working out for me as it should have.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by avogadro
Globalist on points Can you give a breakdown of how much of that 1M yearly points is from
  • credit card sign up bonuses
  • manufactured spend
  • actual spend
  • bonus journeys
  • milestones
  • other categories
Not to hijack the thread but for my case, i am spending around 1MM on bonus categories with my business card and got back 2MM points so far.

Basically i am on the same boat as OP, globalist on point. Started with Hyatt biz card this year and i am planning to burn all my points.

Already booked a 7 night reward stay in Hyatt Ziva Cancun (x2 rooms) in Jul. The problem is i couldn't apply TSU so probably need to cancel this stay and go with other resort where i can book standard/premium suite. In planning process for other trips till end of year.

Last edited by ZorroA0; Apr 22, 2022 at 8:41 pm
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Another way could be through MS but that will end eventually. Shutdowns are inevitable at that pace. Does any US program transfer to Hyatt except Chase? I would not MS on Chase.
Bilt.

https://www.biltrewards.com/

It’s not an MS factory the same way Ink + gift card reselling is though.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Chase has a history of doing this. They will close every credit card and bank account you have with them. You will be allowed to transfer your points out (IIRC they either settled or lost a lawsuit about this during a previous round of shutdowns, and now their policy gives you some set amount of time to transfer your points after your account gets closed) and you will never be allowed to open another Chase card or bank account again, for life.

Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it. OP is flying a bit close to the sun, I think. For, what, $20k worth of points per year? Not worth it.
Can I ask this as someone who is the amateur in this thread: I thought gift cards to cash was something that most CC's shut down via loophole and that biz cards were expected to be tied to an actual biz with accounts and such? Am I erroneous in my thinking? I mean I put almost everything travel-related on my CSR, save flights on my Amex PL, and daily stuff goes on the Freedom UL. But as a leisure and occasional biz traveler (3-4 overseas trips a year), I still can't come close to generating this kind of spend.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by ZorroA0
Not to hijack the thread but for my case, i am spending around 1MM on bonus categories with my business card and got back 2MM points so far.

Basically i am on the same boat as OP, globalist on point. Started with Hyatt biz card this year and i am planning to burn all my points.

Already booked a 7 night reward stay in Hyatt Ziva Cancun (x2 rooms) in Jul. The problem is i couldn't apply TSU so probably need to cancel this stay and go with other resort where i can book standard/premium suite. In planning process for other trips till end of year.
The difference between you and OP is that you are generating this from (presumably legitimate) business spend. I have no idea how OP could have the time and ability to do that much MSing.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I am in this boat. Globalist who does not travel for work but earns between 50-100k month in chase UR due to business spend / category bonuses. I do have the Hyatt CC as well for direct spend when necessary and my GF also has Chase cards to assist, but generally our stay breakdown looks like:

- 50% at higher end category 5-7 (usually personal trips & vacations that are pre-planned)
- 50% Category 2-4 at Hyatt Place or lower tier Hyatt Regency properties for short domestic weekends when visiting friends / family
- Sprinkle in the minimum 3x free night certs each year (1x for having Chase Hyatt CC, 1x for hitting 30 nights, 1x for hitting 60 nights)
- We also try to maximize the different points promos, double nights (when its a thing), specific brand promos (Thompson promo now for example)

*Only time we opt to pay for rooms is when some of the lower category properties are so cheap that it just doesn't make sense to use point.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
My family do pure leisure travel so we choose some popular destinations and good resorts for our stay. With the constrain of our self-imposed no-skipping-school policy, we always see the ridiculous high cash rates, which makes point stay a pretty natural choice(of coz in involves some early plannings).

We travel 30ish nights and the rest comes from personal Hyatt cc spending. I might be loosing a few hundreds to 1k not maximizing cc bonuses but the 30ish full breakfast and TSUs worth more than that in our case.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northinsouth
Can I ask this as someone who is the amateur in this thread: I thought gift cards to cash was something that most CC's shut down via loophole and that biz cards were expected to be tied to an actual biz with accounts and such? Am I erroneous in my thinking? I mean I put almost everything travel-related on my CSR, save flights on my Amex PL, and daily stuff goes on the Freedom UL. But as a leisure and occasional biz traveler (3-4 overseas trips a year), I still can't come close to generating this kind of spend.
This has nothing to do with spend. He is churning Ink cards for the SUB. This is a popular thing to do right now because they are easily churned and the bonuses are good. Eventually Chase will say "no more" and shut down all the people who are doing this, as they have done in the past with other cards.

Business cards are supposed to be tied to a business but the definition of business is pretty loose. Anyone can just have a sole proprietorship that doesn't do anything or make any money. There are no real requirements. Personally I choose not to open business cards because, again, I don't want to piss off Chase, but honestly opening one without a "real" business has no real risk because, again, there are no real requirements for a sole proprietership. It just uses your social. Churning them is a different story.
GUWonder and northinsouth like this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
This has nothing to do with spend. He is churning Ink cards for the SUB. This is a popular thing to do right now because they are easily churned and the bonuses are good. Eventually Chase will say "no more" and shut down all the people who are doing this, as they have done in the past with other cards.

Business cards are supposed to be tied to a business but the definition of business is pretty loose. Anyone can just have a sole proprietorship that doesn't do anything or make any money. There are no real requirements. Personally I choose not to open business cards because, again, I don't want to piss off Chase, but honestly opening one without a "real" business has no real risk because, again, there are no real requirements for a sole proprietership. It just uses your social. Churning them is a different story.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for the explination.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
Sorry for not responding earlier. Flyertalk doesn't let you do more than 5 posts in your first 24 hours.

Here is a breakdown of how I have earned my points in the last 12 months:

95% of my points are from credit card sign up bonuses. I have signed up for 8 UR/Hyatt earning cards. These 8 cards have netted me 890,000 points from the sign up bonuses and self-referrals (I also sign my spouse up for cards).

I had to spend about $75,000 to meet the minimum spends on these cards, probably about half of that was manufactured, with the rest was my normal organic spend, $2,000 - $3,000 per month. I don't manufacture spend other than to meet sign up bonuses and meet the $15k spend on the Hyatt personal card to get the FNC and 6 elite nights.

The amount of points I get from actual spend, bonus journeys, milestones etc is negligible. In the last 12 months it has been about 20,000 points mostly from the Bonus journeys 2-night bonus promo. Like I said above, I don't spend much while at resorts.

I've been churning cards for 5+ years now. I know the rules, and risks. I know all about the history of Chase shutdowns and other banks for that matter. I signed up for my first Hyatt card back when 5/24 didn't apply to it. I've rarely had to talk to a chase rep about my accounts. I've never stepped foot in a Chase branch. I have 800+ credit, $300k household income, stay around 2/24, and space out my applications to at least 90 days, and I lower my credit limit so that I get auto approved. I am an ideal customer from Chase's perspective.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jameswes
You're definitely going around and hitting the high value Hyatts. I have a pretty good stash of Chase points, but I still need to do quite a lot of them on paid nights.

On your list, I've done Mayakoba a few times on $$ because at least outside of Jan-Mar it's regularly got decently priced rooms (especially with Corp rates and/or Prive). Basically I'd never use points at Hyatt if I'm getting less than 1.5 cents/point. And generally aim for 2+.
Some of my other favorite stays include Alila Ventana, GH Kaui, PH New York.

I aim for 3+ c/pt. So far over the lifetime of my redemptions I've averaged 3.81 c/pt, this is skewed slightly by some out sized value stays (Presidential Suite at GH Kauai, and Big Sur Villa at Ventana).
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jameswes
I'm also going to agree with the other posters here - you can absolutely churn some on Ink cards and do some MS, but at your scale (particularly if it's just you and not P2/P3) it seems like you're very likely to run into a shutdown. To me it just isn't worth that risk because my Hyatt status is much more difficult to maintain and isn't as valuable/useful if I'm no longer able to earn/use chase points and cards.
I disagree about the shutdown risk. I'm not new to this game, I signed up for my first ink card in 2017, and have been slow and steady since then. I've studied the profiles of users that have been shutdown, and they are very different than what I am doing. I am down to 2/24 and stick to 1/90 velocity. I stay under the radar, and still bring in 1 million Hyatt points per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.