Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt moving to reusable amenities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt moving to reusable amenities?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Question Hyatt moving to reusable amenities?

Saw this on my recent stay at a new Hyatt Centric. The soap/lotion/shampoo is fixated to the wall and not movable.

Most of all my previous stays have dispoable/one-time use amenities that you can take with you. Is this being rolled out through all properties soon or varies by location?

Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:40 am

Andaz San Diego had this set up as when I stayed last weekend. I can’t remember whether it was single use or not during my stay in 2021.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:57 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Likely only a matter of time before we see this at most Hyatts. Marriott and IHG already started their bulk toiletry rollouts before COVID... it does seem that some properties that hadn't transitioned yet before COVID paused conversions for the time being (wouldn't be surprised if it had more to do with saving labor costs related to the installs than COVID concerns), so occasionally I'll see a Marriott or IHG property that still has the small bottles, but it's increasingly rare these days.

Not sure what the situation is at Hilton, though I don't think I've seen bulk dispensers even at select service Hiltons yet.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I have also seen this at Andaz SD, HR Orange County and maybe a few other places.
I wasn't fond of the scents or quality of the soaps at Andaz SD or HC GTC recently. HC GTC has the same Bee Kind brand shown in your images, but single use. They are awful.
What's interesting is HC GTC is otherwise very energy/renewable conscious with their auto-on/off lighting, keycard holder to turn on lights etc., but have yet to implement refillable amenities (toiletries?)
Unless staying at a Thompson, I'm bringing my own stuff from now on so as not to leave it to chance.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:30 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Saw this on my recent stay at a new Hyatt Centric. The soap/lotion/shampoo is fixated to the wall and not movable.

Most of all my previous stays have dispoable/one-time use amenities that you can take with you. Is this being rolled out through all properties soon or varies by location?
yes, it was announced back in 2019. Master thread:

Hyatt launches initiatives to reduce single-use plastics

it should have been introduced by June 21, and I guess it was halted due to the pandemic.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I was hoping that COVID would prevent this from happening. We all on FT know why these are really bad ideas…. I wish the bean counters would figure this out….
mikew99 and antonius66 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's required in some jurisdictions; in California a statewide mandate goes into effect next year:

https://www.hotelmanagement.net/lega...oom-miniatures

Expect to see a lot more of this.
Carolina2Cali likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfabar1
We all on FT know why these are really bad ideas….
Except for all of us who know why these are really good ideas.
IggySD and Single_Flyer like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:47 pm

Another typical attitude of "how I think about things is the correct way and anyone who disagrees is objectively wrong". There are plenty of reasons I can think of to not use these gross large containers, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say you think the "good" reason is the environmental reason (since frankly I can't think of another even theoretically good reason). And again, instead of just bringing your own stuff and not using smaller containers you don't approve of, you expect everyone else to get in line with the correct way of thinking. Not to mention that if environmental reasons are the key here, hotel toiletries are like straws...yeah getting rid of them is better than absolutely nothing but in the grand scheme it's just another largely meaningless gesture that creates hassles without any impactful change.
ORDnHKG and LovePrunes like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Interesting! This centric was in the UK. I just never thought to see one overseas away from the US
Originally Posted by Doppy
It's required in some jurisdictions; in California a statewide mandate goes into effect next year:

https://www.hotelmanagement.net/lega...oom-miniatures

Expect to see a lot more of this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Coming in South Korea as well.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 8:44 pm

It’s not so bad. You’ll become accustomed.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by antonius66
Not to mention that if environmental reasons are the key here, hotel toiletries are like straws...yeah getting rid of them is better than absolutely nothing but in the grand scheme it's just another largely meaningless gesture that creates hassles without any impactful change.
Hyatt has maybe 250,000 rooms globally. At 50% average occupancy that's 45,000,000 sets of toiletries per year, maybe 100-150 million plastic bottles per year. If the plastic is 1/4 oz that's about 750 tons. If one barrel of oil can be perfectly converted to plastic that's 5000 barrels of oil at 300lbs each. That's 0.00007% of annual US oil consumption.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by paul21
Hyatt has maybe 250,000 rooms globally. At 50% average occupancy that's 45,000,000 sets of toiletries per year, maybe 100-150 million plastic bottles per year. If the plastic is 1/4 oz that's about 750 tons. If one barrel of oil can be perfectly converted to plastic that's 5000 barrels of oil at 300lbs each. That's 0.00007% of annual US oil consumption.
I'm not sure about Hyatt, but MANY hotels just refill those small bottles, so they're not throwing them away, they are just being recycled. That's why I don't use those small bottles of lotion. Who wants the cooties 🤢

I think it was Sheraton who has tamper proof mini-bottles that the staff can't refill unless they destroy the bottle in doing so.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I'm not sure about Hyatt, but MANY hotels just refill those small bottles, so they're not throwing them away, they are just being recycled. That's why I don't use those small bottles of lotion. Who wants the cooties 🤢

I think it was Sheraton who has tamper proof mini-bottles that the staff can't refill unless they destroy the bottle in doing so.
Maybe if they have very low labor costs. Else, it's probably not worth it.

Centrics are like a Hyatt Place+ anyway - calibrate your expectations accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.