Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:05 pm

Can't say I'm surprised about HP Moab going up 2 categories. Prices for hotels in Moab are absolutely insane, especially recently.

HP Las Vegas going from Cat 2 --> 3...I mean I get that there's not a lot of Hyatt properties in Vegas, but that hotel is not good at all. Surprised it hasn't become a Sonesta or something.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:09 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I think the other reason these category increases occurred is because of the huge number of Glob Lites that got minted from last years promos + surplus of the TSUs/Free night award conversions to points.

Y'all better start burning the points now
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
The long game is where it may eventually catch up to them. Here's what I mean. Let's say that you and I are considering paying with our hard earned money for a PH at about $800 per night, for whatever reason. Now, after understanding the inflation--from points to rack rate--that has infected the luxury portion of Hyatt portfolio, are we more apt to spend that $800 (where just about anyone can get for free with the inflated WOH points), or pay the same $800 at another property whose appeal is purely its top-drawer service and not its rewards (rebate) program which it doesn't even have?
This is an interesting point and one that I've actually thought about in practice before today's announcement. I was planning a trip to Maui (I didn't end up going for it as I decided to go to the Big Island instead) and was considering if I should stay at the Andaz or pay an extra $100 to stay at the Four Seasons. Since the Andaz didn't have points availability and I could get Elite status-like benefits at the Four Seasons through Amex FHR, the decision process was a lot murkier than I'm sure Hyatt would want it to be (especially as I was considering actually paying the ridiculous cash prices of over $1K a night for the Andaz).
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:22 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by olouie
This is the future of most "loyalty" programs. Little do the big companies realize that without aspiration redemptions there is no real point to going out of your way to be loyal anymore.
Like with some airlines, with dynamic pricing the big hotel loyalty programs are really just becoming rebate programs.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
This is an interesting point and one that I've actually thought about in practice before today's announcement. I was planning a trip to Maui (I didn't end up going for it as I decided to go to the Big Island instead) and was considering if I should stay at the Andaz or pay an extra $100 to stay at the Four Seasons. Since the Andaz didn't have points availability and I could get Elite status-like benefits at the Four Seasons through Amex FHR, the decision process was a lot murkier than I'm sure Hyatt would want it to be (especially as I was considering actually paying the ridiculous cash prices of over $1K a night for the Andaz).
Now, I'm not suggesting what you should or shouldn't do, but I'll share my HI Hyatt experience with you. I had a trip to HI where I faced a similar decision; namely, pay around $400 - 500+ for the Hyatt Centric Waikiki (no points availability) or around $800 - $900 for the Four Seasons. Because it was a relatively long trip and was lucky enough to have had an old friend and colleague who lived there offering to drive us around, I split them. What I can tell you unequivocally was the Four Seasons, though cost more $$, was a much higher value proposition than the Hyatt--it wasn't even close.

I'm not as well traveled as some of you here, but I have learned there are some locations where one is better off just skipping the rewards consideration and pay the extra money for the top-drawer hotels, especially when traveling with family--Hawaii, in my estimation, is most certainly one of them. At least with Amex FHR, I don't have scavenge, beg for stuff and receive proactive emails advising me that "suites" are scarce.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
This is a massive devaluation and many good or even decent properties are going up. Meanwhile there’s over a dozen properties who were scheduled to go down a Category in 2020 which were postponed due to the pandemic which apparently are not coming to fruition.

Definitely feeling bamboozled, especially with the many properties switching from Cat 7 to Cat 8 that’s a 33% cost increase (not factoring Peak pricing which would make it 50% increase per night). Combine this with the current crap promo something is terribly wrong here.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Matt4200
This is a massive devaluation and many good or even decent properties are going up. Meanwhile there’s over a dozen properties who were scheduled to go down a Category in 2020 which were postponed due to the pandemic which apparently are not coming to fruition.

Definitely feeling bamboozled, especially with the many properties switching from Cat 7 to Cat 8 that’s a 33% cost increase (not factoring Peak pricing which would make it 50% increase per night). Combine this with the current crap promo something is terribly wrong here.
haha. The 2021 promos were a big contributor to today's devaluation.
lsquare, cfabar1, Visconti and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by antonius66
Nothing is going to get any of us anywhere because the powers that be have decided. This is a place for the plebs to wax nostalgic about better times and complain about their lot in life. The point was several things that I said, but directly to your point about value, my point was more to the fact that it is just never enough. If the customer can come out even a LITTLE ahead, then they see the model as ripe for "adjustment".
Sorry but I disagree that its being done to get even with the customer. Id agree had you said its being done to get the freeloaders in order. Unfortunately the blogs helped alot to bring this about, by plastering how cheap it is to live the good life @..... &......

I know numerous people who charge in the 7 to 8 figures a year and it wont bother them much about shelling out more pts, since they cant burn thru what they earn. Thats what caused then airlines to go nuts with what they want. They kept increasing the amount of miles for F or Biz and these guys didnt flich and pay/paid it

The main losers are the wannabes, where they cant afford to pay with money and some road warriors who used the pts once a year for that dream vacation

But dont forget a coin has 2 sides and the other side are the hotel owners who felt the biggest complainers are the freeloaders and that what Corp pays them bearly covers its costs. Its the freeloaders who to a large extent are the ones going down the block to a 7-11 or CVS to get some beer, or to a restaurant outside the hotel or UberEatsing (I dont blame those folks)

Could be if the hotels could charge the resort or destination fee even on award stays, reduce what the club offers and when and everyone pays for parking along with a set $ amount for breakfast they wouldnt be complaining as much, but we would.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
Now, I'm not suggesting what you should or shouldn't do, but I'll share my HI Hyatt experience with you. I had a trip to HI where I faced a similar decision; namely, pay around $400 - 500+ for the Hyatt Centric Waikiki (no points availability) or around $800 - $900 for the Four Seasons. Because it was a relatively long trip and was lucky enough to have had an old friend and colleague who lived there offering to drive us around, I split them. What I can tell you unequivocally was the Four Seasons, though cost more $$, was a much higher value proposition than the Hyatt--it wasn't even close.

I'm not as well traveled as some of you here, but I have learned there are some locations where one is better off just skipping the rewards consideration and pay the extra money for the top-drawer hotels, especially when traveling with family--Hawaii, in my estimation, is most certainly one of them. At least with Amex FHR, I don't have scavenge, beg for stuff and receive proactive emails advising me that "suites" are scarce.
This is incredibly valid - I've found that there are definitely situations where making the non-financially-sound decision leads to more enjoyment of the vacation itself (i.e. I was much happier at my stays at some of the Waikiki Marriott properties vs. the Waikiki Regency, even though I didn't pay a resort fee at the Regency). Amex FHR has been a game changer in allowing me to experience some truly magnificent US properties, such as the Four Seasons in Philadelphia. I ended up changing to the Big Island due to the ridiculous 21-day cancellation policies of most, if not all, of the Wailea resorts (Hyatt, Marriott, and FS) and figure the Big Island will also be a nice time (have never been, just like Maui).

Back to the point, points earning still matters to me and does lead me to weigh Hyatt and Marriott more heavily in my decision-making (as does the relative quality of their mid-range ($150 to $300) hotels), but sometimes, it is nice to throw off the weights once in a while.
eponymous_coward and Visconti like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Unfortunate, but I’ve easily redeemed at 5c Per Point on several hotels on the cat8 list. Even at 45k still easily 3c a point value.

It would be nice if they extended the 1-7 cert to 1-8, but who knows.

I doubt many of the newly minted globs will keep status next year, much less get adequate nights. So maybe a possibility?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:40 pm
Suspended

True but most folks who on their companys dime wont care that much, who is getting slaughtered are those who are on their own dime and stay for leisure reasons or MS to get their pts. Both of which arent really Hyatts kind of a customer that they are after. thats what happened with the airlines they never expected Joe & Jill Public to use their miles for a FC or Biz award.it was meant as a goal for those that contributed to the bottom line
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by js1993
haha. The 2021 promos were a big contributor to today's devaluation.
I think you’re mistaken, it’s the Q4 2020 promo that was extended into Q1 2021 which was the largest.

I didn’t come up with the 2020-2021 promos, Hyatt did.

Customers didn’t demand them, they played with what was offered as it’s always been.

I agree they gave away too much, consumers would’ve been very happy with half of what was offered.

Hyatt did this, Hyatt consciously ran those promos, yet consumers are the ones now being punished. Punished with no Q4 2021 promo, punished with Peak Pricing, punished with a horrible Q1 2022 promo and now punished with these massive devaluations.

Consumers didn’t make Hyatt run so many concurrent promos, Hyatt ran them on their own.
drod likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:43 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Summary of Changes

Worldwide Summary:
76 hotels went down a category globally
69 hotels went up a category globally

But...for the muricans like myself, this blows for US redemptions:
13 US properties went down a category
47 US properties went up a category
HP Moab is the only outlier that went up 2 categories

All US national park properties got nerfed :'(
eefor jfp likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:44 pm

I think you’re mistaken, it’s the Q4 2020 promo that was extended into Q1 2021 which was the largest.

I didn’t come up with the 2020-2021 promos, Hyatt did.

Customers didn’t demand them, they played with what was offered as it’s always been.

I agree they gave away too much, consumers would’ve been very happy with half of what was offered.

Hyatt did this, Hyatt consciously ran those promos, yet consumers are the ones now being punished. Punished with no Q4 2021 promo, punished with Peak Pricing, punished with a horrible Q1 2022 promo and now punished with these massive devaluations.

Consumers didn’t make Hyatt run so many concurrent promos, Hyatt ran them on their own.
I think they are speaking of the 2021 Double Nights promo which I and many others used to get Globalist status last year. Of course, unlike most, I kept staying until I got to 60 nights and plan on re-qualifying to 60 this year, with or without a promotion. I do think the high number of Globalists this year is causing some significant issues at some of these properties, which will likely get resolved next year, at least to a point.
craz and KL808 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Worldwide Summary:
76 hotels went down a category globally
69 hotels went up a category globally

But...for the muricans like myself, this blows for US redemptions:
13 US properties went down a category
47 US properties went up a category
HP Moab is the only outlier that went up 2 categories

All US national park properties got nerfed :'(
The poster above was correct - COVID-related travel habit changes have been so significant. So many people are willing and hungry to go outside if that is the only way they can feel safe on a vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.