Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Devaluation! New award category changes effective 3/22

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm assuming any property that doesn't appear on the list means it'll maintain the same category for the rest of 2022? Can anyone here confirm this is the case for Hyatt Regency Vancouver and Park Hyatt Toronto?

I actually earned Globalist the normal way, so I guess I'm not surprised that the double EQN offer from last year created many new top-tier elites. As a result, it doesn't surprise me that a devaluation would happen. I've seen devaluation announcements throughout the industry over the past 12 months. Sucks!
For me, the category changes are six of one, half a dozen of the other. As one of the newly-minted Globalists you mentioned, I'm going to see if the benefits I get this year make it worth my while to retain status or just drop down to Explorist. I got free Suite upgrades on my last certificate stays at HR Madrid and GH DC. There are some sweet spots in Europe.
One strategy I am considering is booking stays at non-Hyatt hotels through UltimateRewards, when there are no feasible Hyatt award-stay options available, and rack up the 10x UR points for transfers when the time is right.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
For my personal travels, I don't see enough of a change to make a fuss about it. Changes to categories happen every year. I'm actually glad about one change though, the Hyatt Place in Orlando going back down to a 2 so i can go to Universal and stay there. Was really bummed when they upped it to a 3.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by largeeyes
A lot of Africa and Europe actually went down a category. Zanzibar went to 5, though.
Zanzibar seems like another Covid effect. That was one of the first places to reopen to tourists, wasn’t it?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:10 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The credit card cert should increase to categories 1-5 - though that may require an annual fee bump to $150 or $195
Im not convinced that raising annual fees are the answer here.
That likely may solve one problem and creates another for some others

I’ve suggested in this forum in the past that program members should be able to add points to their promotional awards as is happening in other competing programs for better flexibility for its members
Just devaluing a program routinely through the years with no material improvements to the program has me booking elsewhee more frequently
now even before this latest upcoming devaluation

I am using other programs more frequently over Hyatt now with 4th & 5th night free
and point rebates as a credit card holder
Hyatt point currency is losing its appeal to me considerably unless it’s a property that’s one of a kind.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:27 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by ckx2
It still feels super wrong to pay 80k / night for a Doubletree vs. 30k / night for a PH in Vail
The Doubletree is really 40k or half of the Hyatt redemption based on the bare minimum earning
of ten points per dollar without elite bonuses and welcome amenity points at check in etc

The opportunity to earn 12 points per dollar on the Amex HH credit card vs Hyatt’s credit card
allows more point earning then Hyatts CC including far more point promotions with Hilton’s if you stay in their hotels

For that reason its somewhat more complicated than just looking at redemption cost something we all do
That said I have started using 5th night free on occasion when possible which further adds considerable value
Granted many mostly stay a night or two
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:52 am

Was there a category change planned for 2020 but stopped due to covid? I remember seeing hyatt centric brickell miami dropping from 5 to 4 but that never happened.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BaconSF

hardly a deal, if u look at the cash rates for those properties it’s $68-72/night. Terrible redemption value
Cash rates are low in Bali because the country is completely closed to foreign tourism. In normal times these are $100+ per night hotels and will be great value using points.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Im not convinced that raising annual fees are the answer here.
That likely may solve one problem and creates another for some others

I’ve suggested in this forum in the past that program members should be able to add points to their promotional awards as is happening in other competing programs for better flexibility for its members
Just devaluing a program routinely through the years with no material improvements to the program has me booking elsewhee more frequently
now even before this latest upcoming devaluation

I am using other programs more frequently over Hyatt now with 4th & 5th night free
and point rebates as a credit card holder
Hyatt point currency is losing its appeal to me considerably unless it’s a property that’s one of a kind.
I have no issue with letting members top off certificates either. But at that point why not just gift member 15K points a year. I get why card issuers want to issue annual awards in the form of nights/certificates as opposed to points (to encourage some breakage)
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by js1993
Do those exist? When I've done searches, I generally have seen no more than one off-peak night per month. It seems like everything is peak or normal. Certainly nothing resembling a normal distribution curve.
Hyatt Regency La Jolla at Aventine at Christmas time. We actually stay in La Jolla each year at that time ti visit family, so this is convenient. On;y 9K for a very nice Category 3. But yeah, very few.

Used to stay at Embassy Suites before we became first Glo-lite then real Globalist last year. And before Hilton sucked this much.

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by TTT103
I don't like the PH NY moving to cat 8, but at least there are many other options in the city.
Well there is still the Andaz TS though I prefer the PH location. But I hear you. At some point when PH goes to 40k peak (i.e. just about year round) the St. Regis etc.look more attractive even at 90k Bonvoy

The bigger loss IMO are the CA resorts in Napa and Big Sur - there really are no equivalent properties available with points.

Originally Posted by ckx2
It still feels super wrong to pay 80k / night for a Doubletree vs. 30k / night for a PH in Vail
For sure. I have often seen 50-70k for Hampton Truckee which is not in the same league as Ritz Carlton Truckee (also 70k) or Hyatt Incline (25k). Hilton award rates are super high even accounting for the relative point values.

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The Doubletree is really 40k or half of the Hyatt redemption based on the bare minimum earning
of ten points per dollar without elite bonuses and welcome amenity points at check in etc

The opportunity to earn 12 points per dollar on the Amex HH credit card vs Hyatt’s credit card
allows more point earning then Hyatts CC including far more point promotions with Hilton’s if you stay in their hotels

For that reason its somewhat more complicated than just looking at redemption cost something we all do
That said I have started using 5th night free on occasion when possible which further adds considerable value
Granted many mostly stay a night or two
To be fair all the credit cards provide bonus on hotel spend, but it is not so useful to those of us who are required to use corporate cards for biz travel. But I will grant the HH Amex has better (and more lucrative) bonus categories than competing hotel affinity cards.

Unfortunately the 5th night deal rarely works for me - if I am staying a week I often go with AirBnb or a vacation home rental. 2-3 nights is more typical.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 1:39 pm

Im pretty glad I've used my points at most of the fancy properties like PHNY, Big Sur, Napa, etc and found good value. Helped me make the decision that the cash rates were just not worth it if I was to go back. Indeed, in Big Sur the Post Ranch Inn is a nicer property if paying cash IMHO. NYC has so many great hotels and while the PH is nice its nothing too special (outside of the pool with underwater music).
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 2:43 pm

Points advance/insufficient points reservation

Sorry if this has already been asked, but if I make an insufficient points (points advance) ressie as a globalist now, and I deposit the points after March 22, will I still pay the lower current price?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by bfwolf
Sorry if this has already been asked, but if I make an insufficient points (points advance) ressie as a globalist now, and I deposit the points after March 22, will I still pay the lower current price?
No it will re-price. This happened to me with the peak/off-peak reservation.
bfwolf and wilywombat like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The changes seem fair but suck for me personally. Park Hyatt Suzhou is going up a category. I stayed 4o nights there last year, almost all on points as it was the best deal I've seen. Up a category, as is GH Sanya, GH Changsha and PH Hangzhou. I can't blame Hyatt as tourism in China is humming and rates high. A few properties are going down which is good like JDV BJ but these are cheaper spots and not thr PHs I prefer. I wish they dropped GH Chengdu as they originally announced before covid but Chengdu prices are super high.

But sucks for me. I'm still sitting on almost half a million points.

If borders open, I'll take advantage of HR/GH BKK and Bali. HK has also dropped category across 2 properties I'll stay at.

Overall painful for me personally but I can't blame Hyatt. PH Suzhou summer rates are double what they were last summer. From that perspective point rates are even better value redemption.

I'm still crazy loyal to Hyatt
lsquare and escape4 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
The changes seem fair but suck for me personally. Park Hyatt Suzhou is going up a category. I stayed 4o nights there last year, almost all on points as it was the best deal I've seen. Up a category, as is GH Sanya, GH Changsha and PH Hangzhou. I can't blame Hyatt as tourism in China is humming and rates high.
Yeah I noticed a few of those bumps. It was a bit of a bummer cause I always saw those properties as excellent points value and I was looking forward to taking advantage once our family finally relocates to that region. Still, since I've never actually stayed at them I don't know what I'm missing. You recognize the loss, even if it's still worthwhile and you'll continue to stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.