Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Is point transfer "qualifying activity"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2021, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA

I just noticed the following policy:

"any member without qualifying activity for 24 or more months as of December 31, 2021 will forfeit their points in January 2022"

I looked at the definition of qualifying points and it includes "purchasing or combining points" but does not mention transfer.

My last stay was in December 2019, my next stay is scheduled for March 2022. Does this mean that if I do not do something my points may be forfeited in January 2022? I'd rather not purchase any more points if I can avoid it.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:17 pm

Transfer in from chase does extend your points. Transfer Hyatt pts from one account to another does not.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Transfer in from chase does extend your points. Transfer Hyatt pts from one account to another does not.
Thanks for the response, although that is not what I was hoping to hear. I was thinking of transferring some of my WoH points to a friend.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Thanks for the response, although that is not what I was hoping to hear. I was thinking of transferring some of my WoH points to a friend.
Could you book a GOH room for your friend?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could you book a GOH room for your friend?
I dropped from Glob to Explorist in 2019, so GOH is not an option.

I think I might be able to avoid the risk of forfeiting the points. I've used some points to book a suite upgrade for Sep 2022, and that point deduction is counted as activity, If I cancel that res the activity gets wiped out, and although I see only a 50/50 chance of going through with that stay, I have as stay scheduled in March that is much more likely, and I think that will reset the clock again even if I subsequently cancel the Sep stay.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Do you have a local Hyatt where you could buy a small gift card? Or, grab a drink or dinner in a Hyatt restaurant?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I think I might be able to avoid the risk of forfeiting the points. I've used some points to book a suite upgrade for Sep 2022, and that point deduction is counted as activity, If I cancel that res the activity gets wiped out, and although I see only a 50/50 chance of going through with that stay, I have as stay scheduled in March that is much more likely, and I think that will reset the clock again even if I subsequently cancel the Sep stay.
As I mentioned in Extending Points Expiration Date , even booking an award but canceling it later was enough to avoid points forfeiture. Obviously I wouldn't recommend risking it if you care at all about the point balance involved, and this was several years ago - but as long as you have that March stay I would be much less worried.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gengar
As I mentioned in Extending Points Expiration Date , even booking an award but canceling it later was enough to avoid points forfeiture. Obviously I wouldn't recommend risking it if you care at all about the point balance involved, and this was several years ago - but as long as you have that March stay I would be much less worried.
OTOH if a huge number of points are potentially at risk, I'd do a quick mattress run somewhere nearby (and verify that it posts correctly) just to make sure that there's no problem.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 2:26 am
Original Poster

I appreciate the responses.

Ok, read through that thread. As others have posted, I can confirm that cancelling an award erases the activity, so if the only activity is the Sep award and I cancel it I imagine I would be at risk of forfeiture. I would be a bit surprised if they actually did it to me. I have about 500K lifetime base points and was Dia/Glob for 7 years, all leisure travel, but had to start slowing down due to some health reasons and then COVID hit. But if they just leave it to the computer then I guess none of that will matter.

Still, the award booking for Sep will keep the account active, and then I have a stay in March and another in April that are almost certain. So if I wait until Sep to cancel the Sep award after the points for the Mar and Apr stays are posted, is the computer going to go back after the fact and say that I should forfeit all my points due to no activity having posted for the period from Dec 2019 to Mar/Apr 2022?

OTOH if a huge number of points are potentially at risk, I'd do a quick mattress run somewhere nearby (and verify that it posts correctly) just to make sure that there's no problem.
Being in a very high-risk group I've been so hunkered down due to COVID that I've really lost any motivation to stay someplace that I'm not really interested in staying. There's more than 200K points at risk, so I guess if I really want to be sure I should buy a few points. Maybe get 3900 pts for US$72 at the current promo until the end of Oct, or otherwise 1000 for US$24 if I decide to wait until later in the year.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Sep 24, 2021 at 2:44 am
Old Sep 24, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
So if I wait until Sep to cancel the Sep award after the points for the Mar and Apr stays are posted, is the computer going to go back after the fact and say that I should forfeit all my points due to no activity having posted for the period from Dec 2019 to Mar/Apr 2022?
All I can state is that it didn't automatically trigger a forfeiture in my case. All I did was book and cancel award rooms a few times without any other qualifying activity until several months after my points were supposed to expire, even when the new bookings were made past that original expiration date. So (at least at the time of my experience) it seems like the system only cares if there was some type of "qualifying activity" within the last 24 months.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:45 am

I appreciate the responses.

Ok, read through that thread. As others have posted, I can confirm that cancelling an award erases the activity, so if the only activity is the Sep award and I cancel it I imagine I would be at risk of forfeiture. I would be a bit surprised if they actually did it to me. I have about 500K lifetime base points and was Dia/Glob for 7 years, all leisure travel, but had to start slowing down due to some health reasons and then COVID hit. But if they just leave it to the computer then I guess none of that will matter.

Still, the award booking for Sep will keep the account active, and then I have a stay in March and another in April that are almost certain. So if I wait until Sep to cancel the Sep award after the points for the Mar and Apr stays are posted, is the computer going to go back after the fact and say that I should forfeit all my points due to no activity having posted for the period from Dec 2019 to Mar/Apr 2022?

Being in a very high-risk group I've been so hunkered down due to COVID that I've really lost any motivation to stay someplace that I'm not really interested in staying. There's more than 200K points at risk, so I guess if I really want to be sure I should buy a few points. Maybe get 3900 pts for US$72 at the current promo until the end of Oct, or otherwise 1000 for US$24 if I decide to wait until later in the year.
My advice would be to avoid the risk that all of your points could be deleted. They're worth a lot more than $24 or $72. Just buy some points and make sure that they post to your account. Problem solved......and then you don't need to worry.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

My advice would be to avoid the risk that all of your points could be deleted. They're worth a lot more than $24 or $72. Just buy some points and make sure that they post to your account. Problem solved......and then you don't need to worry.
Yes, that is pretty much what I've decided to do, just to be absolutely safe.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 2:25 am
Original Poster

it seems like the system only cares if there was some type of "qualifying activity" within the last 24 months.
I think that this is almost certainly the case, but I'm willing to do a small point purchase to be absolutely sure.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 11:47 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Will a guest of honor stay count as an activity to prevent points expiration?
I was the guest of honor, I can see the night in my account, but I got zero points, as I didn’t have any further spendings in the hotel.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mb123
Will a guest of honor stay count as an activity to prevent points expiration?
I was the guest of honor, I can see the night in my account, but I got zero points, as I didn’t have any further spendings in the hotel.
Here is the response I received from WoH:

Below is a list of qualifying activity to avoid point forfeiture for your reference.
  • Any addition or deduction of points (except LPEMP points)
  • Receive points (earned on eligible stay / spend at Hyatt or participating MGM resort destination, or SLH, including Planner Rewards)
  • Redeem points (free night stays, Dining, Spa and more redemption, eligible spend, etc)
  • Receive point credit through Hyatt partner (Avis, M life, Airlines, etc)
  • Transfer an award to another guest
  • Convert World of Hyatt points to a Hyatt partner
  • Purchase points
  • Combine points with another World of Hyatt member' s' account
  • Active World of Hyatt Credit Card member
  • Active Hyatt Residence Club Owner
The list does not include a stay without any addition or deduction of points, so based on the available information (which may or may not be complete), I would assume that a GoH stay would not count as qualifying activity for the recipient unless there were points earned or deducted for incidentals.

BTW, does anyone know what LPEMP points are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.