Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara Riviera Cancun MASTER - REVIEW THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

It appears we're now also getting a Hyatt Zilara Riviera Cancun.

FAIRFAX, Va., June 28, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Playa Hotels & Resorts N.V. (NASDAQ: PLYA) (the "Company") today announced that it has completed the sale of the Capri Hotel for a total consideration of $55 million in cash. In conjunction with the closing of the transaction, the new owner has signed a franchise agreement with Hyatt Hotels to rebrand the resort as the Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya following renovations.

"We are incredibly thrilled to be adding the Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya to our managed resort portfolio, alongside our other category-defining Hyatt All-Inclusive resorts," said Bruce Wardinski, Chairman and CEO of Playa Hotels & Resorts. "I am excited to watch this resort achieve its full potential following its repositioning and branding, driving value for our new partners, associates and shareholders."

Last edited by bcosinteno; Jun 28, 2021 at 11:53 am
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
It appears we're not getting a Hyatt Zilara Riviera Cancun. Playa Hotels & Resorts has acquired the Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun and will enter into a franchise agreement with Hyatt for this to be the Hyatt Zilara Riviera Cancun.
*now?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by coleslaw
*now?
Haha yes, typo. Corrected, thank you!
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:14 am

According to this article, it was Playa Hotels & Resorts who sold the property:
Playa Hotels & Resorts has entered into a binding agreement with a third party to sell the Capri Hotel, formerly the Secrets Capri in Mexico's Riviera Maya, for a total consideration of $55 million in cash.
But they also scored 2 management contracts for both the Ziva & Zilara Riviera Cancun after renovation.

Judging from the photos of the Capri, renovation may take some time and money to reach Zilara's standard and brand image.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
According to this article, it was Playa Hotels & Resorts who sold the property
I think the original article also says that Playa Hotels & Resorts was the property seller.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:58 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
It appears we're now also getting a Hyatt Zilara Riviera Cancun.
Accepting reservations as of September 1st. But it seems to be a Ziva, not a Zilara.
hotel website: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/me...a-cancun/cunif

official Hyatt press release indicates a Ziva as well

https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-releases?item=124090

Last edited by 59Impala; Jul 2, 2021 at 7:04 am Reason: Added Hyatt press release
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Accepting reservations as of September 1st. But it seems to be a Ziva, not a Zilara.

This was already announced; bcosinteno is saying that the owners have also signed on for a Zilara in addition to the Ziva.

khabah
59Impala likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala

2 different properties:
  • Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun, formerly Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, is midway between Cancun and Playa del Carmen:
  • Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya (according to Hyatt Development page), formerly Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, is very close to Mayakoba complex:
59Impala and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:47 pm

I did not know this, thanks for the information.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
2 different properties:
  • Hyatt Ziva Riviera Cancun, formerly Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, is midway between Cancun and Playa del Carmen:
  • Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya (according to Hyatt Development page), formerly Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun, is very close to Mayakoba complex:
And now with the ALG deal Ziva/Zilara/Secrets are all going to be one big happy (?) family anyway!
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:18 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Hotel has opened: https://newsroom.hyatt.com/news-rele...318#assets_all

CHICAGO (December 1, 2022) – Hyatt Hotels Corporation (NYSE: H) and Playa Hotels & Resorts N.V. (NASDAQ: PLYA) today announced the opening of Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya. Nestled in the secluded region of Riviera Maya, Mexico, Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya is surrounded by lush mangroves, with easy access to the Cancun International Airport and only six miles from Playa del Carmen. This sophisticated all-inclusive resort radiates paradise with modern hacienda charm, situated on 1.5 acres of pure white sand beach combining state-of-the-art amenities with heartfelt service and inviting accommodations.

The exclusive adult oasis boasts 291 sophisticated suites with elegant amenities, modern décor and beautiful views of the resort grounds and sea. All rooms and suites feature spa-like bathrooms with rainfall showers, turndown service, LCD satellite TV’s, Wi-Fi internet access and complimentary minibars with soft drinks and premium beer along with 24-hour in-suite dining featuring chef specialties. Each guestroom offers a furnished balcony or patio, views of the ocean or garden, marble bathrooms and double vanities, all exuding the tranquility and peacefulness of the Riviera Maya region.

• View File
    Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya King Junior Suite

• View File
    Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya Swim Up Beach View

• View File
    Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya Social Bar

• View File
    Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya Zen Spa
“Nearly 10 years ago, we opened the first Hyatt Ziva and Hyatt Zilara properties with the goal of reinventing the all-inclusive experience with a unique offering characterized by premium food and beverage offerings, favored wellness experiences and activities, personalized service and much more,” said Playa Hotels & Resort’s EVP and Chief Investment Officer, Fernando Mulet, “With each new opening, we continue to push the category forward and drive value for customers, owners, developers and brands alike. We look forward to welcoming guests and World of Hyatt members to this unscripted all-inclusive resort in Riviera Maya.”

Guests of Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya can enjoy adult-oriented amenities, including a sprawling ocean-view pool with an adjacent hot tub, nine globally inspired restaurants, bars and lounges, and unique daily and nightly activities, such as aqua aerobics, water sports, cooking lessons, live performances and more.

Inspired by the art and architecture of pre-Hispanic Maya culture, Zen Spa provides a serene atmosphere for relaxation and wellness, featuring soothing and restorative treatments with ten indoor treatment rooms. Zen Spa also offers a master suite with a hydrotherapy tub, sauna and steam rooms, a fitness center with group classes, strength zone and cardio area, and a full-service beauty salon.

Ideal for large gatherings, Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya offers the perfect venues for meetings and conferences with more than 6,000 square feet of modern facilities designed for success. Elegant outdoor spaces and gardens allow for dreamy destination weddings with a blissful backdrop.

World of Hyatt members can earn 500 Bonus Points for qualifying nights at Hyatt Zilara Riviera Maya starting now through February 28, 2023. For more information and to book a reservation, please visit www.hyattzilararivieramaya.com.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
Supposed to go over Xmas and will be very keen for any on-the-ground reports! Am leery of a resort going through teething pains..
Old Dec 14, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Arrived on Sunday, Dec 11. Had been trying, through Globalist Concierge, to apply a suite Certificate to my room, which was booked as a King, lowest rate at the time. Nothing was happening with the upgrade in advance of my getting here, despite checking in with my Concierge the day before and noting that junior suites, let alone Ocean Front Suites were showing as available for the dates of my stay. Too a while for the person checking me in to note that I am a Globalist, at which point the usual thank-you's began, and was upgraded to an Ocean View room, which is one of the side-long rooms you see down the arms from the central core. Got to the room and then phoned my concierge asking about the certificate application. She'd said she'd not received a response, again, and offered to phone them and she'd phone me back once she had info.

Yes, they are new, having just opened Dec 1. The person she spoke to asked if I'd come to reception to discuss the situation. So, I went. The person I spoke to, Jesus (prefers to be called Jeshua, after I explained the situation, asked for proof that I had a valid suite certificate. At first, that stumped me, since I'd never been asked that before, and I mentioned that it was typically handled by the Concierge without my involvement, but I then remembered the Hyatt app on my phone. Went to my Awards and showed all the certificates valid between now and Feb 2024. Jeshua asked if he could take a photo of the page, then went to Terms and Conditions and asked if he could take a photo of that to also show his boss. I had no problem with that. He went away for about 15 minutes. Came back and was prepared to offer me a Tropic View Swim Up Junior King -- there were no Ocean Front Suites available, even though I showed him the availability for pay.

Went to look at the suite after he checked physically that it was ready, and I agreed to the switch because almost 2 hours had gone by at this point and I just wanted the thing settled. It's a slighly longer room from the front door to the door leading to the terrace of the swim-up, than the 3rd floor Ocean View room they originally had me in.

Otherwise, check in was straightforward as was moving my bags. They do offer a at-check-in-only special 50% discount on a spa package for 2. I'm here solo, and had no interest in going twice for all that's offered, but ymmv.

This website, arrived at by photoing the QR code on the back of the room key envelope, gives the details on restaurants, daily activities, etc.
hzlrm.resortsbyhyatt.com.

In brief, only the same 2 places are only open each day for breakfast and for lunch - the buffet restaurant and Lola Beach, which is an outdoor restaurant. I've been having breakfasts there in the shade, as it's by the beach and there's always a nice breeze blowing; you could sit in the sun if that's your pleasure. The buffet restaurant does have indoor and outdoor seating.

Sundays and Wednesday evenings, the buffet restaurant has Fish Night and it was very good. Great shrimp and a separate seafood soups and a cooking station where there's salmon, a white fist, shrimps clear and blue, octopus, squid, along with some veggies. It was excellent. Buffet items included a few ceviches, various cooked veggie dishes, and some additional seafood items in chafing dishes. Lots of salads, cheeses, fruits and desserts. I'll be back there tonight.

Lola serves for lunch and for dinner the Mexican dishes that a dedicated restaurant at other all-inclusives might have.

You only need reservations if you're going to Tempest, the Asian restaurant, for Sushi or for Teppanyaki; if you're going for the a la carte menu, no reservation needed. I went a la carte there. The shrimp shumai was enormous (only 1, whereas it seems the veggie shumai are smaller and you get a few of those) and was too salty for my taste. However, the Korean-style short rib was a definite winner. Fall-apart and very tasty.

Capri, the Italian, was good and not so. The Beef Sphere, a carpaccio that's rolled into a ball was excellent, I thought, while the seafood risotto was okay - rice was not cooked enough and was too soupy. (The GM asked how my meal was, and I was honest about it, especially when he asked about my comment on the risotto.)

The Coffee shop is very nice and the lemon and the pistachio ice creams are tasty! They make some good coffee drinks and have various naughty desserts of different kinds. Social Bar is fine, but I'm not much of a drinker. About to head to Legends for the France Morocco Match; don't know about their food offerings.

The Lola Snack Bar, as opposed to the restaurant has some smaller offerings that were tasty.

Service is friendly and efficient. It's generally much less noisy around the pool than at the other Hyatt all-inclusives I've been to, but that's going to change tonight cause they're having a shindig out there starting at 8:30P. Glad I face away from it.

The one thing to watch out for is walking on the beach, and it's a wide beach to the ocean and with no seaweed small so far: there are lots of branches, stones, spiky burrs and more that aren't cleaned up. Be sure you're wearing a foot covering if you go to the water or just to one of the chairs that are out on the sand. I was "ouch, ooch, eek, yikes"ing my way just about every step when I didn't put my shoes on!

Haven't tried the spa, which you're driven in a cart to as it's quite the hike from the hotel. The pool isn't really geared towards something like lap swimming, and you'll have to wait till late in the afternoon for any portion of it to be in shade. There are daybeds that can be rented and there are umbrellas that can be moved and opened up near the lounge chairs that are plentiful. The gym is mostly all there, with a few arm and leg machines not yet ready to go, but all equipment is brand new and otherwise working.

Hope this gives some idea of what to expect. I did have a conversation with their Chief Concierge about the suite certificate issue and how this has always been handled by the Concierge without any requirement for proof on arrival, and also the beach-cleaning. He also claimed that the Ocean Front rooms aren't fully built out yet; not sure I buy that, but I'm okay with how this turned out. I'm able to get my swimming in with the shared pool outside my room. Since it faces the bushes, with some distance to those, it's fairly bright and away from people looking in if they're in the general pool area. In the hotel overview photo above, my room, 125, is in the left arm coming away from the center and facing away from the main and only pool.

PS - There is some construction noise I can hear, but doesn't seem to be coming from those Ocean Front rooms!
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 7:42 am

looks like the beach is inferior here
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
looks like the beach is inferior here
It's a wide beach with palapas and some cabanas to sit under, along with lounges just laid out. However, no one sweeps this part of the beach, so wearing shoes of some kind is necessary until they start sweeping: all kinds of pointy burrs, sticks, and things were constantly jabbing into my feet. Not pleasant at all. Aside from that aspect, was fine as far as I was concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.