Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unannounced category change

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Unannounced category change

I was just browsing recently and I noticed quite a few hotels have changed from cat4 to cat5 recently that I don't see announced. I thought there is minimum change in 2021.

For example, the following ones changed to cat4 in march 2020 and I'm pretty confident I saw them listed as 15k a few months ago. But they are all 20k now and listed as cat5.

Grand Hyatt Seattle
Hyatt at Olive 8 Seattle
Hyatt Regency Amsterdam

But I don't see them on the 2021 change list at all. There are also a few others which I knew were cat4 (but I don't have proof) that are now cat5.

Has Hyatt also fallen into the lows of hidden category change now? Or am I missing something here?
stmadfish likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fttc
I was just browsing recently and I noticed quite a few hotels have changed from cat4 to cat5 recently that I don't see announced. I thought there is minimum change in 2021.

For example, the following ones changed to cat4 in march 2020 and I'm pretty confident I saw them listed as 15k a few months ago. But they are all 20k now and listed as cat5.

Grand Hyatt Seattle
Hyatt at Olive 8 Seattle
Hyatt Regency Amsterdam

But I don't see them on the 2021 change list at all. There are also a few others which I knew were cat4 (but I don't have proof) that are now cat5.

Has Hyatt also fallen into the lows of hidden category change now? Or am I missing something here?
According to this chart from 2020 GH Seattle and Olive 8 both moved from Cat 4 to Cat 5 in March of 2020. Maybe what you saw was a glitch because I’m fairly certain they’ve both been Cat 5 through the entire pandemic.

https://travelingformiles.com/breaki...more-news-too/
Old Jun 24, 2021, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Those hotels were supposed to drop to Category 4 in the category change list announced pre-COVID. That update was completely cancelled and never happened. So they've been Cat 5 all along.

P.S. A mod should change the incorrect thread title...
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:22 am

These properties have been cat 5 since at least 2019. Otherwise I would have used all my cat 4 certs at HR Amsterdam
Old Jun 24, 2021, 8:56 am

Grand Hyatt Seattle
Hyatt at Olive 8 Seattle
Hyatt Regency Amsterdam

All 3 properties became category 5 in March 2019

https://thepointsguy.com/news/world-...egory-changes/
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Ok, people are saying the move down in 2020 got suspended and never happened.

Then I also noticed GH SFO (the one at the airport, not downtown, and not the airport HR either) was $15k a few months ago. It's $20k now. I don't see it on any 2020 or 2021 list at all. How do people explain that?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Honest question: what sort of announcement were you expecting?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:33 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold

Then I also noticed GH SFO (the one at the airport, not downtown, and not the airport HR either) was $15k a few months ago. It's $20k now. I don't see it on any 2020 or 2021 list at all. How do people explain that?
The GH SFO opened as (and has always been) a Cat 5. See, for example, this post FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt SFO REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:58 am

Wow you need to check your memory my friend. None of what you're saying in this thread is true at all. GH SFO has always been cat 5 since the beginning.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stopover at SFO from time to time. GH SFO has always been 20K points or else I would have used my Cat4 cert.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:00 am

The case something like this might happen is for a new property, before they open and the rooms are available to book, sometimes the cat is much lower. I stayed at Hyatt Place St Pete Downtown at 5k when they first opened. But that is not the case for any of the property you mentioned.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Ok, guys, thanks for the clarification. That makes me feel better.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Then I also noticed GH SFO (the one at the airport, not downtown, and not the airport HR either) was $15k a few months ago.
No, never. Always been Cat 5.

Perhaps you're thinking about the 25% back promotion Hyatt ran in 2020 and early 2021.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.