Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Category 1-7 Certificate for 30K points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Category 1-7 Certificate for 30K points

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2021, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by myperks
hmmmm…. If they replaced your cert to its original state, what’s the problem?
I would have been fine with that. And was so pleasantly surprised when they gave me 30k points; I was fully expecting a "too bad, so sad" response.

Demanding more sounds like a golden rule violation.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
In my case, a new 1-7 was put into the account as a one time courtesy with an explanation of how the certs are pulled by closest expiration date. You really have to watch the expiration dates on the 1-7 certs to avoid aggravation and potential loss. Have a feeling a phone call could have netted 30,000 points versus email to concierge.

Last edited by hedoman; Jun 1, 2021 at 4:55 am
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hedoman
In my case, a new 1-7 was put into the account as a one time courtesy with an explanation of how the certs are pulled by closest expiration date. You really have to watch the expiration dates on the 1-7 certs to avoid aggravation and potential loss. Have a feeling a phone call would have netted 30,000 points versus email to concierge.
I suspect the fundamental difference is agent error and member error.

I would not expect 30k compensation if I made the booking myself...

Good result for the OP though.
hedoman and PortlySpartacus like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
I think you have to insist on 30k points and keep escalating. Worst case scenario you can send this ft thread to corporate and demand equal treatment.
"Demanding equal treatment" is the surest way to tell corporate to not be so flexible for anyone in the future.

I work in academics, and in the last 5 years, the students have gotten so litigious about 'equal treatment', we now hold very strict rules because the second we make an exception for one student, we have to make an exception for all students to avoid being sued (like, in an acutal court of law). (This is mostly about allowing certain transfer credits, deviations from degree flow charts, etc. and everyone comes out a loser whereas before we could accommodate unexpected issues on a case by case basis and provide a little flexibility when/as needed).
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkOK
"Demanding equal treatment" is the surest way to tell corporate to not be so flexible for anyone in the future.

I work in academics, and in the last 5 years, the students have gotten so litigious about 'equal treatment', we now hold very strict rules because the second we make an exception for one student, we have to make an exception for all students to avoid being sued (like, in an acutal court of law). (This is mostly about allowing certain transfer credits, deviations from degree flow charts, etc. and everyone comes out a loser whereas before we could accommodate unexpected issues on a case by case basis and provide a little flexibility when/as needed).
Aside from the precedent point (which I agree with), the idea of sending a Hyatt supervisor a link to a FlyerTalk thread as "proof" of unfair / inconsistent treatment is... unlikely to make much difference, to put it politely.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
I think you have to insist on 30k points and keep escalating. Worst case scenario you can send this ft thread to corporate and demand equal treatment.
This post should qualify the writer to stand trial for FT treason. Sure wish I could hit a dislike button.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Aside from the precedent point (which I agree with), the idea of sending a Hyatt supervisor a link to a FlyerTalk thread as "proof" of unfair / inconsistent treatment is... unlikely to make much difference, to put it politely.
If it did, then half of FT would make fake accounts, post fake "resolutions," and then call travel companies demanding similar results to the FT thread.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I recently called into the Globalist phone line to reserve a room for 1-night at a Hyatt Place that was a Cat2 property. I asked the rep specifically to apply one of my Cat1-4 Certificates and NOT use the Cat1-7 certificate. My stay was a week ago and now I was reviewing my account activity and notice that the Cat1-7 award night certificate was used instead of the Cat1-4.

I used Twitter to direct message the Hyatt team and they responded within a couple of minutes with the following. "While we're not able to swap out the certificates after it has been redeemed by the hotel, I have credited your account with 30,000 points to cover the cost of the agent error pulling the wrong award when booking your room. You should see those points reflected in your account at this time."

The 30K points posted immediately and I was satisfied with this solution because the certificates have an expiration date and points do not so getting 30K points seemed like a good fix. The only downside I can envision is what if I want to stay at a Cat7 property during Peak season? Starting in July 2021 Hyatt will implement the Off-Peak & Peak point awards redemption which means a Cat7 property during Peak season will require 35K points so I would lose out 5K.

I should have thought of this when I received the Twitter response to see if 35K was a solution given this reason, or do you think that is tacky?
30k - 8k (Cat 2 Stay) so technically you should’ve gotten 22k “back” so to speak. Even factoring the additional 5k for a “Peak” booking that’d make it 27k after subtracting the 8k used to book the Cat 2 stay meaning no matter which way you slice it you came out WAY ahead.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:03 pm

Whenever I want a selective cert to be used, I just dish the booking to my concierge. I realize not everyone is so fortunate.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Whenever I want a selective cert to be used, I just dish the booking to my concierge. I realize not everyone is so fortunate.
I called the Globalist reservation line because I didn't want to wait the 24 SLA of MyConcierge team to respond. This isn't rocket science folks.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:58 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
It depends on the Hyatt agent. I've found the ones that I call usually after 7 PM EST to be the most helpful and understanding ones.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200
30k - 8k (Cat 2 Stay) so technically you should’ve gotten 22k “back” so to speak. Even factoring the additional 5k for a “Peak” booking that’d make it 27k after subtracting the 8k used to book the Cat 2 stay meaning no matter which way you slice it you came out WAY ahead.
Very true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.