Wiki Posts
Search

Is this booking possible?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2021, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Is this booking possible?

Like the title says, is this possible and has anyone been able to do it?

Book a cash or points stay for 5 nights and apply a Suite Upgrade. At the end of those 5 nights, book another reservation using a free night award (which is NOT eligible for Suite Upgrade).
Don’t mind checking out and back in and also changing rooms because it’s a new, separate reservation. It’s just to use an expiring free night award.

To recap with example dates:
Aug 3-7 cash or points with TSU
Aug 7 free night award (new reservation)
Old May 9, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Doable as long as everything is available. Best bet would be to:

1. Book 5-night stay
2. Confirm TSU with Hyatt
3. Book Free Night Certificate online by yourself after TSU has been confirmed

I have run in to issues with having back to back reservations and the agent telling me I cannot apply the TSU because of it. If you confirm it first, then book manually you'll be fine. Depending on hotel, they MIGHT even let you keep the suite for the 6th night.
craigthemif and jameswes like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dsm2m2

1. Book 5-night stay

I have run in to issues with having back to back reservations and the agent telling me I cannot apply the TSU because of it. If you confirm it first, then book manually you'll be fine. Depending on hotel, they MIGHT even let you keep the suite for the 6th night.
Thats the problem I’m running into! My concierge is telling me I can’t do the new reservation because the TSU can’t be applied to it.
Old May 9, 2021, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by ceebee100
Thats the problem I’m running into! My concierge is telling me I can’t do the new reservation because the TSU can’t be applied to it.
Sometimes the property will allow you to add on the extra night in a suite if the hotel is not that busy but in my experience I've always done that the week of the reservation. Also you can ask the hotel what it would cost to upgrade to the suite that last night using a free certificate. It's really a property by property decision but I've noticed that if your paying some sort of cash rate atleast one of the nights the Hyatt properties I've dealt with have been pretty flexible. I always like calling the hotel directly though for these types of situations.
synergistic and ceebee100 like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tonyr4
Sometimes the property will allow you to add on the extra night in a suite if the hotel is not that busy but in my experience I've always done that the week of the reservation. Also you can ask the hotel what it would cost to upgrade to the suite that last night using a free certificate. It's really a property by property decision but I've noticed that if your paying some sort of cash rate atleast one of the nights the Hyatt properties I've dealt with have been pretty flexible. I always like calling the hotel directly though for these types of situations.
Great, thanks for the advice.
Old May 9, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If it's a true suite, with a completely separate parlor connected by a lockable door, you would likely be able to remain in the bedroom of the suite and they would just lock the door to the parlor. It's perfectly do-able as long as the suite hasn't been sold for that last night. We did this all the time when I worked at Hyatt.

But it's not something you can confirm in advance. Just book the last night separately, then talk to the front desk after you get there.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hotturnip
If it's a true suite, with a completely separate parlor connected by a lockable door, you would likely be able to remain in the bedroom of the suite and they would just lock the door to the parlor. It's perfectly do-able as long as the suite hasn't been sold for that last night. We did this all the time when I worked at Hyatt.

But it's not something you can confirm in advance. Just book the last night separately, then talk to the front desk after you get there.
That's not how suites are set up at most Hyatts, and indeed most hotels around the world. A suite is typically one large "unit" with a single entrance--you can't just seal off the parlor or living room and have the bedroom be a standalone unit with its own entrance. There might be exceptions here and there, but they are just that: exceptions, and not the norm.
Old May 10, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

1. Book 5-night stay

Yup, this. I ran into this exact issue at Andaz Maui a few months ago. I had to book the room for the first block of nights and then apply a TSU and then book the second (adjacent) block of nights on my own. I was able to then apply a TSU to the second block of nights as well.
Old May 10, 2021, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
That's not how suites are set up at most Hyatts, and indeed most hotels around the world. A suite is typically one large "unit" with a single entrance--you can't just seal off the parlor or living room and have the bedroom be a standalone unit with its own entrance. There might be exceptions here and there, but they are just that: exceptions, and not the norm.
There are actually a number of hotels that do work this way.
Offhand the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee and Grand Hyatt Manchester San Diego both have suites that work like this (and I think it was HR Coconut Point as well). For more hotel flexibility they tend to put a 1 King room on one side of the suite and a 2 Queen/Double on the other side of the suite. That way they can offer three different combinations to guests (1K, 2Q, 1K + 2Q).
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hotturnip

To me, it seems cheap and petty for a hotel to lock off the parlor portion of a suite for one night when the suite isn't being otherwise used anyway.

I seem to see more of the lockoff style suites in HRs that only have one bedroom connected, not one on each side of the parlor. I've also seen furniture being moved to create more suites from pairs of connecting rooms when a big convention needs more senior suites.
ceebee100 and MarkOK like this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by jameswes
Yup, this. I ran into this exact issue at Andaz Maui a few months ago. I had to book the room for the first block of nights and then apply a TSU and then book the second (adjacent) block of nights on my own. I was able to then apply a TSU to the second block of nights as well.
Out of curiosity, did they combine this all under one TSU or require you to use two?
Old May 10, 2021, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by jameswes
Out of curiosity, did they combine this under one TSU or did you have to use two?
Old May 11, 2021, 3:56 pm

Out of curiosity, did they combine this under one TSU or did you have to use two?
I used two. But I went over the 7 nights that a single TSU is valid for, so I wouldn't have expected to only use one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.