Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Properties not worth using a Suite Upgrade Award (TSU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gengar
United States:
  • Park Hyatt New York - TSU suite ("1 King Bed Suite") is not a true suite; additionally, Globalists are often upgraded to the "1 King Bed Studio Suite" which is a similar size.
Mexico:
  • Thompson Beach House, Playa del Carmen - No true suites. Only benefit is room guaranteed not to be on the ground floor, which means more privacy and a nicer view from balcony; however, given limited number of rooms on the ground floor this isn't really an issue most of the time.
  • Thompson Main House, Playa del Carmen - No true suites, and the TSU "suite" has even less of a "sea view" than many of the regular rooms (where it is possible to see the sea over the rooftops of the bars and restaurants)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I thought it might be useful to track feedback on properties where you should not use (/waste) a TSU. I've applied a few TSUs in the past and regretted it... ending up in a room that's barely bigger/any different to a standard (/non-suite room). I'd imagine there are also properties where there is some combination of an abundance of suites and/or a total lack of Globalist guests (maybe outside of the current Globalist boom thanks for the COVID qualification change and the 2020/2021 Bonus Journeys promo).

I'll start off (and create a wiki):
  • Thompson Beach House, Playa del Carmen - There are no true suites. At best the rooms you book into with a TSU can be described as a "junior suite" - i.e. a larger version of the standard room with no separation of sleeping/living space. The only benefit is that you'd be guaranteed to not be on the ground floor, which means more privacy and a nicer view from your balcony. But given the limited number of rooms on the ground floor this isn't really an issue most of the time.
  • Thompson Main House, Playa del Carmen - There are no true suites. At best the rooms you book into with a TSU can be described as a "junior suite" - i.e. a larger version of the standard room with no separation of sleeping/living space. The standard suites also have even less of a "sea view" than many of the regular rooms (where you can see the sea over the rooftops of the bars and restaurants)

Last edited by coleslaw; Apr 27, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold
I used to be somewhat strategic with TSUs. Now I have so many expiring in the next 10 months that I use them on any stay 2+ nights.
craigthemif and ceebee100 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I thought it might be useful to track feedback on properties where you should not use (/waste) a TSU. I've applied a few TSUs in the past and regretted it... ending up in a room that's barely bigger/any different to a standard (/non-suite room). I'd imagine there are also properties where there is some combination of an abundance of suites and/or a total lack of Globalist guests (maybe outside of the current Globalist boom thanks for the COVID qualification change and the 2020/2021 Bonus Journeys promo).

I'll start off (and create a wiki):
  • Thompson Beach House, Playa del Carmen - There are no true suites. At best the rooms you book into with a TSU can be described as a "junior suite" - i.e. a larger version of the standard room with no separation of sleeping/living space. The only benefit is that you'd be guaranteed to not be on the ground floor, which means more privacy and a nicer view from your balcony. But given the limited number of rooms on the ground floor this isn't really an issue most of the time.
  • Thompson Main House, Playa del Carmen - There are no true suites. At best the rooms you book into with a TSU can be described as a "junior suite" - i.e. a larger version of the standard room with no separation of sleeping/living space. The standard suites also have even less of a "sea view" than many of the regular rooms (where you can see the sea over the rooftops of the bars and restaurants)
Well this is off to a terrible start because your information is just wrong. I used a TSU for Thompson Beach House to upgrade to a Ocean View Suite, which is one category up from the Junior Suite. Nice try, though.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 100k, Delta Platinum
Basically all the Ziva's are pretty meh for TSU's. Cabo and Cancun give you a room that costs $15 more per night on cash off the top of my head
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Daftryan
Well this is off to a terrible start because your information is just wrong. I used a TSU for Thompson Beach House to upgrade to a Ocean View Suite, which is one category up from the Junior Suite. Nice try, though.
I’ve stayed in the Ocean View Suite (using a TSU), a Junior Suite and 1 King Pool View with Terrace.

The Ocean View Suite is just a larger version of the Junior Suite and the King rooms.

Same furniture, same furnishings just in a larger space. Which actually makes it in to an *awkwardly* large space since much of it is bare. Given the lack of furniture / wall art / furnishings.

They’re nice rooms, don’t get me wrong. But they’re no nicer than the Junior Suite or even the King rooms. The balconies on the Junior Suite and Ocean View Suites are nicer than the terrace in the king room.

Just because a room is in a different category doesn’t mean it’s materially better.

EDIT: To reiterate, my original post wasn't saying that a TSU gets you a Junior Suite - it's that a TSU at this property gets you a "suite" that isn't really any better than a Junior Suite (and depending on your definition of "suite", you could argue that even the Ocean View Suite is just a junior suite by another name). The information is not "wrong". You can have a different opinion on whether use of the TSU represents value, but the description is accurate.
bzbdewd likes this.

Last edited by coleslaw; Apr 28, 2021 at 9:07 am Reason: Reiterating information from my original post.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Same furniture, same furnishings just in a larger space. Which actually makes it in to an *awkwardly* large space since much of it is bare. Given the lack of furniture / wall art / furnishings.
The problem with this type of thread is that other people will fundamentally disagree with your belief that more space isn't valuable unless it comes with more furniture.

For example, someone traveling with an infant would undoubtedly find value in the extra space for a crib.

That said, the concept behind the thread is good. More information is always better than less. But I think it might be more useful to simply provide better descriptions of the room types one might receive as upgrades on hotel-specific threads.
coleslaw likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Daftryan
Same. Also confirmed into an Ocean View Suite.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Same. Also confirmed into an Ocean View Suite.
Was your Ocean View Suite experience different to what's described above?

In my original post my comment wasn't that I was booked into a Junior Suite, but rather that the difference between the Junior Suite and Ocean View Suite was negligible (Ocean View Suite was a little larger, but had no separation between "living area" and sleeping area - which I would consider as being one of the defining attributes of a "suite" vs. a "junior suite"). The room was also further away from the beach than the Junior Suites. The Junior Suite beds also face toward the view/sea - but the Ocean View Suites, the beds are parallel to the window and set back from the window/balcony, near the bathroom.
TravelingChef and beachfan like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:56 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The problem with this type of thread is that other people will fundamentally disagree with your belief that more space isn't valuable unless it comes with more furniture.

For example, someone traveling with an infant would undoubtedly find value in the extra space for a crib.

That said, the concept behind the thread is good. More information is always better than less. But I think it might be more useful to simply provide better descriptions of the room types one might receive as upgrades on hotel-specific threads.

And photos.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Pretty much any HH not “worth” using a TSU at in normal times.

There should also be a thread opposite this thread - “Best Properties to use a TSU”.

HC Park City in Off Season is very generous. If you book into a TSU as a Globalist you’ll almost assuredly get upgraded to a Premium Suite which is massive 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, dining room, washer/dryer, living room, fireplace and balcony. Definitely don’t expect it in peak or near peak season, but from experience if you book using a TSU in low season as a Globalist it’s like a 9.9/10 chance of a premium upgrade.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'll nominate GH Berlin, where they just partitioned a room to create the entry level "Grand Suite" (described in the property thread as "a broom closet." Otherwise a very nice property. I spent several nights in one of the premium suites and it was beautiful.

Also PHNY, which is not my favorite property to begin. TSU suite is not a real suite, and it's on a low floor overlooking 59th Street. Dark, with traffic noise.

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
There's nothing wrong with this thread. I think it's a good idea.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'll nominate GH Berlin, where they just partitioned a room to create the entry level "Grand Suite" (described in the property thread as "a broom closet." Otherwise a very nice property. I spent several nights in one of the premium suites and it was beautiful.

Also PHNY, which is not my favorite property to begin. TSU suite is not a real suite, and it's on a low floor overlooking 59th Street. Dark, with traffic noise.

There's nothing wrong with this thread. I think it's a good idea.
It's completely subjective. If people want to share opinions in a single thread, fair enough. But not worthy of a wiki IMO.

For example, I had no problems with the suite at the GH Berlin. Is it a massive space? Of course not. But IIRC suites there come with a free minibar and you are still getting a bigger room.

And with TSUs to burn and a limited number of places I can visit, I've got other things to worry about than rationing them for use the "best" suites. Maybe in 2-3 years this thread becomes a bit more relevant.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 2:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif

And with TSUs to burn and a limited number of places I can visit, I've got other things to worry about than rationing them for use the "best" suites. Maybe in 2-3 years this thread becomes a bit more relevant.
I agree a lot of people have TSU’s “to burn” right now.

For example pre-pandemic I thought the idea of using a TSU at a Hyatt House (any Hyatt House) was abhorrent. But now that travel is picking up and I’m left with 8 TSU’s to use by next February I use them much more liberally.

I don’t believe however it will be a 2-3 year wait before people begin to strategically use TSU’s again though. As travel ramps up, as I see many properties booked up later in the year I begin to view 2022 as on where there will be much competition for stays. One where TSU usage will actually be crucial due to the heavy number of Globalist-lites wanting to cash in (so to speak) on the benefits they’ve gotten.

I would definitely say to be weary of TSU usage in 2022 as I feel it will be much harder to get suite upgrades without them. I also think the Peak Calendar that will be in place may help to provide a better insight as to if a TSU will be needed or not at the properties that are “one the edge” (so to speak) of TSU worthiness.

Not to mention everyone who is hitting 60 nights this year should only have 4 TSU’s rather than the stockpile of 8 they have now valid through 12/31/21-2/28/22.
rogo likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
PH Paris Vendome is pretty frequently cited (though I haven't stayed in the upgraded Jr. Suite, I think it is)
Old Apr 28, 2021, 7:02 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
PH Paris Vendome is pretty frequently cited (though I haven't stayed in the upgraded Jr. Suite, I think it is)
The "standard suites" are called the Park Suite King or Park Suite Twin, but they are not true suites. They are simply larger rooms with a "sitting area".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.