Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt properties in or very close to airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt properties in or very close to airports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
(regarding RNO) Actually, I wonder whether it's possible to walk straight there, without the use of Metro. Sure, you may have to wind your way through some unusual overpasses and busy roads, but it looks like that area has sidewalks and crosswalks all the way through.
I forgot about the RNO HP -- I definitely consider that to be walkable and I quite like that it is, considering AA likes to fly in late and out early (to DFW) unless you want to pay a (sometimes hefty) premium for the mid afternoon flight. I don't remember/think there is a clear sidewalk connection to the airport terminal -- the airport roads all lose their sidewalks when they loop around the parking garage), but it is quite easy and quick to cut straight across the parking garage, cross a couple of roads/step over a couple of fence ropes, and land right at the intersection of Plumb and Terminal Way and then walk the half-block down to the HP. The roads carry a light enough traffic load to be easy to cross anyways. I really wish they would just put a couple of crosswalks and extend a sidewalk and make it all that much easier.

The rental car returns and pickups are right there too in that garage on the north end, so I usually arrive late, schlep over to the HP, then check out a rental car in the morning, drive out to my Lake Tahoe destination (or elsewhere), and then on the way home, drive straight to the rental car return in the afternoon/evening, schelp over the rope and roads to the HP to stay the night, and then usually the bus is right there ready for me to drive the short distance to the terminal anyways so there isn't any reason to walk it.

---
Back to the HR Crystal City -- To walk it, you have to find the tunnel to the Mount Vernon trail from the B parking garage -- this is not easy to find!, I've done this a few times and I still get lost trying to find it -- then you pop out on the trail and either have to swing a full block north to the tunnel under the highways and railroad tracks to pop out at crystal city. Then you have about 5 blocks to walk south to get the HR. All told, it feels like a solid mile or slightly more...

There was some talk a year ? ago about a more direct bridge, which if it happens, I think would be enough to include the HR Crystal City on this list, but until then, I think not.

---

I like this thread, because there is something quite nice indeed about not worrying about any schedules/timing of public transit, hotel shuttles, etc.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
HP PVD -- it's next to the rental car return, which is connected to the terminal by a covered, temperature controlled (albeit fairly long) elevated walkway
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Back to the HR Crystal City -- To walk it, you have to find the tunnel to the Mount Vernon trail from the B parking garage -- this is not easy to find!, I've done this a few times and I still get lost trying to find it -- then you pop out on the trail and either have to swing a full block north to the tunnel under the highways and railroad tracks to pop out at crystal city. Then you have about 5 blocks to walk south to get the HR. All told, it feels like a solid mile or slightly more...

There was some talk a year ? ago about a more direct bridge, which if it happens, I think would be enough to include the HR Crystal City on this list, but until then, I think not.

---

I like this thread, because there is something quite nice indeed about not worrying about any schedules/timing of public transit, hotel shuttles, etc.
That's fascinating! Does "the tunnel, then trail, then tunnel" feel safe* enough or sufficiently-lit to be taken at anytime of day or night? Since it's relatively close, presumably folks living in the nearby neighborhoods (say Pentagon City, or Aurora Hills) could conceivably walk/jog/sprint to the airport, which is kinda neat.

*Certainly this is subjective, but any answer from any perspective is welcome

Agreed on it being nice not having to worry about schedules/timing of public transit, and whether hotel shuttles are running.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
That's fascinating! Does "the tunnel, then trail, then tunnel" feel safe* enough or sufficiently-lit to be taken at anytime of day or night? Since it's relatively close, presumably folks living in the nearby neighborhoods (say Pentagon City, or Aurora Hills) could conceivably walk/jog/sprint to the airport, which is kinda neat.

*Certainly this is subjective, but any answer from any perspective is welcome

Agreed on it being nice not having to worry about schedules/timing of public transit, and whether hotel shuttles are running.
I think it certainly could feel unsafe during the night for typical people. There is certainly not a lot of visibility from roads/public areas when you are going through the garage or under the highway/railroad. Would I do it? Sure, but I am a decently fit, moderate build (more likely I would make someone feel unsafe).

During the day, there are a decent number of joggers and pedestrians on the trail for a decent feeling of safety. The trail is pretty nice at least going north and I've walked straight into central DC from the airport going north and crossing that first bridge with pedestrian access up there (after the highway bridge, can't remember the road, but you enter DC right near the Jefferson memorial). That's about an hour, hour and a half walk, depending on where in central DC exactly you are going and how fast you walk.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
DCA also has a capital bike share station now, so one could take bike share from Crystal City to the airport in just a few minutes. An unusual way of arriving at the airport for sure, I have done it several times of traveling light or going to pick up a rental car.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I think it certainly could feel unsafe during the night for typical people. There is certainly not a lot of visibility from roads/public areas when you are going through the garage or under the highway/railroad. Would I do it? Sure, but I am a decently fit, moderate build (more likely I would make someone feel unsafe).

During the day, there are a decent number of joggers and pedestrians on the trail for a decent feeling of safety. The trail is pretty nice at least going north and I've walked straight into central DC from the airport going north and crossing that first bridge with pedestrian access up there (after the highway bridge, can't remember the road, but you enter DC right near the Jefferson memorial). That's about an hour, hour and a half walk, depending on where in central DC exactly you are going and how fast you walk.
Thanks for the insight! It's really intriguing there are medium-large airports one can walk to, in a very car-centric country.

Originally Posted by River in Sight
DCA also has a capital bike share station now, so one could take bike share from Crystal City to the airport in just a few minutes. An unusual way of arriving at the airport for sure, I have done it several times of traveling light or going to pick up a rental car.
Reminds me of a couple airports in Belgium and The Netherlands (there may be other bike-centric countries) where biking to the airport is not abnormal; there's a separate network of bike paths, and sometimes there are formal places to lock up your bike at the terminal.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:43 am

Speaking of which (sorry, getting off topic), biking between HNL and Waikiki is fairly doable -- it's just 7 miles down the Nimitz highway and then Ala Moana -- and it is faster than a taxi. You have to feel comfortable riding in traffic, but since most of the roads are multilaned and traffic only moves so fast there anyways, it really isn't that bad.

The travel lobby powers there would never put in the needed infrastructure or bike sharing/storage etc facilities to make such a thing easy enough for hardly anyone to do. Otherwise, they'd get rid of their ridiculous no luggage on public busses policy (which is very selectively enforced by the bus drivers).

Anyways, when I lived there, it was cheaper often to rent a car at the airport (or, those locations would be the only ones with cars available) so as few times I biked from Waikiki to the airport, got the car, load up bike, and then do the reverse upon the return. Always a decently easy bike ride and makes the sometimes hour long crawl on the freeway seem utterly ridiculous.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Anybody stayed at the IAH HR? Have a stay there on a few weeks on a layover to LIR and wondering what to expect?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:41 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Anybody stayed at the IAH HR? Have a stay there on a few weeks on a layover to LIR and wondering what to expect?
The review thread hasn't had a new post in 4 years, but it looks like it's still mostly accurate to me.

Hyatt North Houston - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - FlyerTalk Forums

I don't know the current breakfast arrangements, though.

This property is also not a candidate for this thread given it's about 8 miles to the airport.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Crowne Plaza-esque -- older, dated property. Stains on the carpets but otherwise clean. It sits at the entrance to an office park, and I'm not sure it's walkable to all that much. Rooms are a decent size.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:32 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
TBH the Hyatt properties closest to the airports are the best when it comes to Point redemptions if its a last minute stay where cash rates are high

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.